Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Sossity
Raw Beauty

Default best epilator for armpits?

Is there any particular model of epilator that would work best on the arm pits? I currently have been using the braun 5270 on mine & the results have been mixed so far, it does get a lot of the hairs, but I have a lot of red sore bumps afterward, (much worse than for my legs) & with in a couple of days, I feel the prickly feeling of hairs growing back, so I use it again & there are quite a few hairs there, after running through my pits again.

so I have been in a cycle of where when the bumps finally subside after about 3-4 days or more, by then the hair is growing back & I epilate again, & the bumps are back again, so between epilations my armpits always have some red bumps under them.

right now, I am not sure epilating is going to work for me, I tried shaving but got a big rash as well, that's why I gave up & just let my armpit hair grow out in the past, I tried a shave & it left me with a rash & the hair starts to grow back within a day or two.

I have some shea & cocoanut butter on hand would those help?

will any epilator do the same thing to my arm pits?

it is difficult to reach & pull the skin taught while I use the braun in my other hand.

will this get better over time? I admit that prior to this, I had not removed the hair from my armpits for years, I have only been epilating them for a couple of weeks. Before I epilated, I shaved them to get the hair short, even the shaving left them a bit red/raw & burned. After shaving, let the hair grow out a little & then epilated.
Sossity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Sossity
Raw Beauty

wow,no one has ever tried this, am I wading into unexplored territory, or is my post just being ignored & no one thinks its worth replying to?
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Hairstorm
Sparkling Beauty

I would guess not many people epilate their pits, thus the lack of responses.

Regarding the irritation, I suggest using an anti-irritant afterwards, such as a beta-hydroxy acid. Maybe also a topical disinfectant such as benzoyl peroxide, if needed.

Then you could moisturize after that if you need it.

HTH!
[URL=http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6003] TLHC Journal[/URL] /[URL=http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=211532#post211532] TLHC Photo journal[/URL] /[URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=7"] TBB Blog[/URL]
...true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!" Sam Levenson
Hairstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #4
BirdWatcher
Untouched Beauty

I epliate my underarms and I totally understand your problem. The reaction you are getting, with the red bumps and soreness, is not uncommon, and how long it takes to subside, is individual and depends on skin and follicular sensitivities. You sound as though you have extra sensitive skin, because even shaving with a razor, causes you irritation. I, too, get the red bumps and a bit of soreness, but it subsides by the next day. If you make many passes over the same area, that, too, causes soreness and redness.

The reason why you are feeling stubble a few days after is because the unit is not pulling the hairs out at the root; the head tweezers are grabbing and breaking the hairs off at the surface of the skin instead. If the hairs were, indeed, being pulled out from the root, you would not have the fast regrowth. Are you using the slow speed? If not, you may want to try the slow speed. This reduction in speed will allow the tweezers to more accurately grab the hairs. Also, make sure you are holding the unit to the skin. It is easy to sort of hold the head above the skin surface. The head needs to be touching or resting on the skin so the tweezers have the best chance of grabbing the hairs far down the hair shaft, at the base of the skin. This will minimize the breakage of the hairs and grab more hairs.

As for reaching and pulling the underarm skin taught, that is easy to remedy. I will try to explain how I do it; you may not understand it, though. You want to keep the arm you are about to epilate up, but keep it bent at the elbow. So, say I am doing my left underarm, I hold my left arm straight up, then bend the forearm down at the elbow so my left hand is touching my left shoulder. With the fingers from the left hand, I grab the sides of the underarm skin and pull the skin inwards or towards my face. The thumb is anchored around the back part of the shoulder and the fingers are grabbing and pulling the skin taught. Does that make sense? It is really hard to explain, but easy to do, really. I am able to manipulate the skin as I like, using the same arm, and keeping the unit in the other.

The Braun unit you use is a good one. I wish I had that one. I have two Emjois and they are okay, not the greatest. I have the best results with my Emjoi that has the slow speed. The other one only has one speed, fast, and tends to break more hairs under my arms.

Technique is everything when epilating: the speed of the unit, what angle you hold the unit to the surface of the skin, how close the unit is to the skin, and how fast you move the unit itself. If you move the unit fast and quick over the skin, similar to the speed at which we all use disposable razors, you will miss hairs, break hairs, have to make more passes over the given area than needed, and not get the results promised. You have to epilate slowly. Also epilate, if you can, shortly after a bath or shower. The skin is softened at that time and makes pulling the hairs out at the root, easier.

Give it some time to determine if you become desensitized to epilating. Over time, sensitivities lessen. If you find it is just too uncomfortable and causing you too much irritation, then epilating may not be for you, you just have very sensitive skin. Many cannot epilate because of very sensitive skin. The skin on my legs is far more sensitive than my underarms, so I do not epilate my legs anymore. Any soothing moisturizer will calm the area after epilating. You could try an aloe vera gel – aloe is soothing and anti-inflammatory.

If you decide to go back to shaving, be sure to gently shave with the razor. I tend to be heavy handed and can make my skin red and sore on my legs if I rake the razor hard and fast over my skin. There are also razors that are made to be more "gentle" on the skin - Schick Silk Effects, may be an option.

I hope this helps you, a little.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Sossity
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher
I epliate my underarms and I totally understand your problem. The reaction you are getting, with the red bumps and soreness, is not uncommon, and how long it takes to subside, is individual and depends on skin and follicular sensitivities. You sound as though you have extra sensitive skin, because even shaving with a razor, causes you irritation. I, too, get the red bumps and a bit of soreness, but it subsides by the next day. If you make many passes over the same area, that, too, causes soreness and redness.

The reason why you are feeling stubble a few days after is because the unit is not pulling the hairs out at the root; the head tweezers are grabbing and breaking the hairs off at the surface of the skin instead. If the hairs were, indeed, being pulled out from the root, you would not have the fast regrowth. Are you using the slow speed? If not, you may want to try the slow speed. This reduction in speed will allow the tweezers to more accurately grab the hairs. Also, make sure you are holding the unit to the skin. It is easy to sort of hold the head above the skin surface. The head needs to be touching or resting on the skin so the tweezers have the best chance of grabbing the hairs far down the hair shaft, at the base of the skin. This will minimize the breakage of the hairs and grab more hairs.

As for reaching and pulling the underarm skin taught, that is easy to remedy. I will try to explain how I do it; you may not understand it, though. You want to keep the arm you are about to epilate up, but keep it bent at the elbow. So, say I am doing my left underarm, I hold my left arm straight up, then bend the forearm down at the elbow so my left hand is touching my left shoulder. With the fingers from the left hand, I grab the sides of the underarm skin and pull the skin inwards or towards my face. The thumb is anchored around the back part of the shoulder and the fingers are grabbing and pulling the skin taught. Does that make sense? It is really hard to explain, but easy to do, really. I am able to manipulate the skin as I like, using the same arm, and keeping the unit in the other.

The Braun unit you use is a good one. I wish I had that one. I have two Emjois and they are okay, not the greatest. I have the best results with my Emjoi that has the slow speed. The other one only has one speed, fast, and tends to break more hairs under my arms.

Technique is everything when epilating: the speed of the unit, what angle you hold the unit to the surface of the skin, how close the unit is to the skin, and how fast you move the unit itself. If you move the unit fast and quick over the skin, similar to the speed at which we all use disposable razors, you will miss hairs, break hairs, have to make more passes over the given area than needed, and not get the results promised. You have to epilate slowly. Also epilate, if you can, shortly after a bath or shower. The skin is softened at that time and makes pulling the hairs out at the root, easier.

Give it some time to determine if you become desensitized to epilating. Over time, sensitivities lessen. If you find it is just too uncomfortable and causing you too much irritation, then epilating may not be for you, you just have very sensitive skin. Many cannot epilate because of very sensitive skin. The skin on my legs is far more sensitive than my underarms, so I do not epilate my legs anymore. Any soothing moisturizer will calm the area after epilating. You could try an aloe vera gel aloe is soothing and anti-inflammatory.

If you decide to go back to shaving, be sure to gently shave with the razor. I tend to be heavy handed and can make my skin red and sore on my legs if I rake the razor hard and fast over my skin. There are also razors that are made to be more "gentle" on the skin - Schick Silk Effects, may be an option.

I hope this helps you, a little.

thanks for your response, yours is the 1st in depth response I have had, it is a little better now, I still do get irritation, I notice that I have some raised moles in my under arms, so I think this was a a factor as well, if & when I do run a pass with the epilator, I did kind of go lightly over the surface of my armpits, to avoid grazing the moles. I will try it for a little while longer, I like it better than shaving because the hair does not regrow back so fast, the less I have to keep using something on my sensitive arm pits, the better. I notice the hairs seem to be growing back finer.
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Kaelee
Natural Beauty

I use the Epilady Legend, and I don't have irritation lasting more than a day or two. But my skin is different than yours I'm sure.
Kaelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #7
harpreetmann
Untouched Beauty

Hi I don't use epilator coz I just tried it once and the pain was awful.so I am sticking to waxing.but I have seen promise phan on YouTube telling the proper way to epilate and after care of it.so I hope her video helps u.
harpreetmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
ladyshayyy
Raw Beauty

I actually pluck my armpits and have great results. I use really sharp, pointy tweezers to get the stubborn little hairs or the ingrowns. I have also waxed my armpits in the past and had great results as well. (I did it myself) Being a natural golden blonde with black armpit hair is VERY annoying, especially when it grows stubble in under 24 hours. Waxing and plucking is your best best.
ladyshayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM   #9
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

I use a loofah or one of those bath-gloves that's scrubby for exfoliation, that helps. I don't even remember the brand of my epilator, and I vacillate between plucking, epilating and waxing (sugaring, actually). When I don't scrub with the exfoliator, I get the red bumps. When I DO scrub, I don't get them or I get only ONE. I'd LOVE to just laser those bad-boys and be DONE with it. My good friend has done just that, and her pits are soft and silky...

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
LisaJaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #10
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Oh, and when I don't pull the skin taut (and I do it like Birdwatcher said) I break them off and I get stubble. It's amazing what the slower speed and the taut skin will accomplish!

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
LisaJaney is offline   Reply With Quote