Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM   #21
Tapioca
Natural Beauty

I have Hashimoto's, so losing weight has always been a problem. I was with Sparkpeople for a while, until I realized that I was doing fine on my own as far as what I eat. Apparently, I've been eating healthy for years. ::sigh:: I don't drink, I don't smoke, I eat healthy, and yet I'm still overweight. I'll confess that my weight at my last doctor's appointment was 320. Keep in mind, I'm 6'4", so I'll never be under 200 or so, even if I were to get skinny. My goal at this point is to be a size 18 again. I'm currently a 24. I see the endocrinologist every six months, and he has me on synthroid (the last five years) and metformin (my blood sugar is fine; it's to help lose weight). I go back on Mar. 4. Let's see what he says. On the exercise front, I do at least 20 minutes of *something* every day. (I've authorized my DH to be a nag about it, and he's great.) Mostly walking in the winter. When it gets too hot, I hit the pool with my daughter.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Liluri
Luxe Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlee
Well, so far I've lost 3kg (which is 6.6 pounds). I found a great book about "core" exercises - it's a mix of pilates, yoga and weights. I've been combining those exercises with some walking. It looks like it's working.

What's the book please? (feel free to PM me)
[I][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Indigo][COLOR=Purple]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/I][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2]
[COLOR=Blue]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3] "If you are taking me somewhere where I don't need a boa, then I don't wanna go. - Gabrielle Solis"[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT][I][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Indigo]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Lady Alkonost of the Heavenly Plumage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Liluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #23
florenonite
Alluring Beauty

I've gained about ten pounds since June due to a mix of dropping karate since starting uni (although I walk around a lot more now than I used to) and spoiling my eating habits (I only manage to force myself to breakfast twice a week, eat pizza or chips and cheese when we go out, eat lots more chocolate). I think what I need to do is find some kind of exercise regime I can stick to, force myself to eat the proper food at the meals they give us (and not get pudding every day, only when it's particularly nice) and not mindlessly snack. I have a bit of a problem in that I often hang out with my guy friends who are much skinnier than me no matter how much they eat (I think it has to do with them being guys that they just don't seem to gain weight as easily as girls do), so we have lots of chocolate and crisps and stuff. Rather than gorging myself on this, if I only allow myself, say, one bag of crisps and one column of Galaxy on an evening like this, I'll manage a lot better than if I try to cut it off entirely.

Alcohol may also be a problem for me, as I started drinking after coming to uni (I'd have the occasional glass of wine at home before, but now I'll have a drink or two a couple nights a week). I don't drink a lot, as I'm a lightweight drinker (I had half a pint of 4.5 % cider today and could feel it in my face), so it's not something I really need to cut down on, but it IS something that could have contributed to my weight gain, and if I intend to continue drinking I need to cut down on calories from other sources.
"Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]-Pierre Elliot Trudeau

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] [CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]"It's so easy to laugh[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it's so easy to hate[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it takes strength to be gentle and kind"
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[LEFT][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]-The Smiths "I Know it's Over"
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
florenonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM   #24
cruztacean
Natural Beauty

My Mike just entered a Biggest Loser contest at work. I'll be in it with him, and even if he doesn't win, we're both gonna drop some pounds. (Here's to thinking positive!)

I have gained weight recently because of trouble controlling my diabetes. Mike, by the way, is also diabetic, but he controls it well with oral meds, whereas I need insulin. For me, the insulin is beginning to work, and get my sugar levels down to where they're supposed to be. The doctor says it should be easier to lose weight with it under control.

This said, I saw something very hurtful online last night. There was a news article titled, "Jessica Simpson is hurting fat people!" Well, it turns out that she'd decided not to release a fitness video she'd made, that's all. The idea that not putting the video out hurts fat people is thoroughly stupid, yes. But what got to me was one of the reader comments. It went something like, "Everybody is supposed to feel sorry for fat people. Well, guess what? They did it to themselves. If they don't want to be fat, all they have to do is stop eating!!"

You know, I have literally stopped eating. Even before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I would fast to the point of fainting, trying so hard to lose weight. Well, now I know that fasting isn't the way to do it, but it's just a pet peeve of mine when people of normal weight and normal metabolism come out with that "stop eating" bull. Do they really expect me to stop eating altogether?
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #25
morningstar
Alluring Beauty

I ate some cookies yesterday and drank some red wine. Oh and I ate pasta the day before. UHHHGG! Well it is monday and I am going on a stricter diet for this week. I didn't gain anything but also didn't lose.
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #26
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

I weighed in tonight and stayed the same. I am actually not disappointed. I ate pretty poorly last week. But this week . . . I'm going to do better!
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #27
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

Well another big eater here. I don't eat second helpings or snack but my helpings are George sized not a little woman sized. I do like sweets, but candies, not desserts. I love vanilla ice cream and only buy it seldom because it would be gone in a day with me around.

I have to lose 20 lbs. So I'm going to start by walking.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=31"]My beauty blog.[/URL] [URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/index.php?referrerid=174"]Join the Beauty Bottle[/URL][COLOR=royalblue].[/COLOR] [URL="http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/index.php"]The Long Hair Community.[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
jessie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #28
florenonite
Alluring Beauty

I had too much alcohol the other night (four or five drinks) because we were watching Pirates of the Caribbean and decided that rum was a necessity (we're students, that's my excuse) and I further saw the bottles of Kopparberg in Tesco for less than two pounds (and the cheapest you get it at at the pub is 2.70) and had an intense wish for one, so I got that, too. Consequently, I consumed far too many calories. The trouble with drinking is that (with the exception of weekends, which are less of a problem as I don't eat as much on weekends because I sleep in till about lunch time) we don't really plan it, it's usually more of a 'hey, we've been sitting here playing Tekken for the past three hours, let's go to the pub!' and we'll have a pint or two and play some pool. However, even two drinks contains a fair amount of calories, as my first drink is usually a Kopparberg (a type of pear cider, but quite sweet) and my second is Morgan's Spiced and Sprite. I need to do something about this, but I know if I go to the pub and don't get something alcoholic I'll end up getting an orange squash or coke, both of which probably have as many calories. What to do, what to do.
"Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]-Pierre Elliot Trudeau

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] [CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]"It's so easy to laugh[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it's so easy to hate[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it takes strength to be gentle and kind"
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[LEFT][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]-The Smiths "I Know it's Over"
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
florenonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #29
morningstar
Alluring Beauty

florenonite your post brought back some memories of pubbing. It's been a long time....sigh. Perhaps if you get a drink and sip it slowly afterwards water or just drink red wine. Beer and ale is more gylcemic than red wine. Just a thought.

Tessa I love vamilla ice cream also.

My problem has been snacking and eating the kids leftovers and eating handfuls of what ever crackers they are eating. I have stopped that completly. I only eat at meal times now. I stopped eating at the computer (another big issue) I am now eating healthy breakfasts. That has been one of the hardest things to do. I use to pop something sweet in my mouth as I drank coffee. I now make eggbeaters and green peppers and onions. I serve it on a small desert size plate. I feel good after.

I did eat a piece of Peppridge Farm chocolate cake last night. They were on sale and so I thought I would buy one for the family. Who was I kidding? It was so so so so good. As long as I don't binge and keep eating the bad stuff perhaps it is ok to cheat a little? I am back to my healthy breakfast and lunch and dinner with no desert. I did workout yesterday and plan on some more aerobics today. My scale said 149 and that is 8 pounds less than a month ago.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #30
cajunkingkong
Adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie58
. . . . . . but my helpings are George sized not a little woman sized.

Strange, but so are mine !
cajunkingkong is offline   Reply With Quote