Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Default Potato and Cauliflower Soup

I kind of made up this recipe today. I love making soups. Here's what I did:

Poured one of those boxes of low sodium chicken broth in a big pot.
Cut up about 4 Yukon Gold potatoes. I didn't peel them. I'm lazy and I see no reason to peel potatoes most of the time.
Chunkily diced up a big onion.
Chunked up a head of yellow cauliflower.
Threw in what was left of a package of tiny carrots.
Added a little sea salt. Added water to almost cover the veggies.

I let this simmer until the vegetables were tender. Then used my new mixie thing (Hamilton Beach Hand Blender). It was great. It did just want I wanted it to do. I only blended until part of the vegetables were pureed. I like a chunky soup.

Added some butter and about half a big package of baby peas, an envelope of instant mashed potatoes. (I'm not sure I'd add that again as it was thick without them) Then poured in some fat free Half and Half.

It was yummy and I'm off to have a second bowl. I love soup in the winter.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

That sounds really yummy, Carolyn! I'm wondering how curry would be in there! double-yummy!
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Carolyn
Aphrodite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherbear
That sounds really yummy, Carolyn! I'm wondering how curry would be in there! double-yummy!
I think you could add about anything you like. I was thinking of throwing in a can of salmon but I forgot. I love salmon chowder.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #4
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

Oooh Carolyn, that sounds so delicious. I make a broccoli/asparagus soup for the winter too. In it there's onion, garlic, a small handful of brown rice, chicken broth, a couple of carrots then the a whole head of broccoli minus the stems, a whole bunch of asparagus and it's simmered and run through the blender with half and half added, salt and pepper to taste. It's a pale green and thick and so good.
jessie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #5
ladiosaRosa
Enticing Beauty

Oh, it does sound delicious. Next to pasta....my favorite food is soup.

Yukon gold potatoes are the best! I used to grow them. Don't see them much, these days in the market.

I like my soups a little on the watery side rather than stew-like.

Sounds like that went together quickly.

geesh, do I always have to hijack a thread. Just smack me.
ladiosaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Carolyn
Aphrodite

Believe it or not, SuperWalmart has the Yukon Gold potatoes. I saw them on the Martha Stewart show a couple years ago and of course had to try them. They make wonderful garlic mashed potatoes too.

Old February 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Hairstorm
Sparkling Beauty

Yum! Sounds like something I'd like.
[URL=http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6003] TLHC Journal[/URL] /[URL=http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=211532#post211532] TLHC Photo journal[/URL] /[URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=7"] TBB Blog[/URL]
...true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!" Sam Levenson
Hairstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Anje
Dazzling Beauty

Ooh, sounds good. (I'll skip the onion, though. They and my digestive system don't appreciate each other.)

I almost never peel potatoes either. There's lots of nutrition in those skins!
Anje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Islandgrrl
Enticing Beauty

Yummm....sounds amazing.

I made soup last night: Creamy Tomato (vegan).

I roasted about a dozen Roma tomatoes in the oven and removed the skins. Diced 2 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes (unpeeled, why bother?). Sauteed a yellow onion and a few cloves of smashed garlic in a little olive oil and then added the tomatoes & potatoes, 2 quarts of veggie broth and about a quarter cup chopped parsley & basil. Simmered until the potatoes were tender. Blended it all up smooth with my immersion blender (love that thing) and then added salt + pepper and a little cumin to taste and simmered about 15 minutes to blend the flavors. The potatoes make this soup REALLY creamy without having to add any dairy. I took slices of baguette and toasted them, then rubbed them with a garlic clove, put a couple of them into each soup bowl and then ladled the soup over the top. It was awesome. (and I have leftovers for lunch)

[SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue]Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' [B]don't[/B] say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=olive]"No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Islandgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #10
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

Islandgrrl, that soup sounds amazing, thanks for posting that.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=31"]My beauty blog.[/URL] [URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/index.php?referrerid=174"]Join the Beauty Bottle[/URL][COLOR=royalblue].[/COLOR] [URL="http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/index.php"]The Long Hair Community.[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
jessie58 is offline   Reply With Quote