Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 11th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #21
hairfitness101
Sparkling Beauty

My idea is similar to LJ's. I like to make my own trail mix. This way I know there's no foreign chemicals, salts, msg etc in the mix. My family goes crazy for it and it doesn't last long so I make two large freezer bags at a time usually.

I buy crispix or wheat chex usually. Sometimes I will buy shredded wheat (mini's-no frosting!). Mix in different dried fruits. Sometimes its raisins but I like to put in dried cranberries or mango.

Add in a can of mixed nuts- or you could do your favorite type- almonds/walnuts etc. Add reduced salt pretzel stix or my fav. sesame or cajun stix. (Not that low fat but its not so bad and oh so satisfying.)

I like to add garlic chips or bagel chips if I have the extra money.

If I'm feeling really bad, I'll add in a bag of m&m's but I find that when I eat sugar it only makes me want more so I try to leave that out. You really don't need it if you add dried fruits. And you don't want to send your body on a glucose high, it will only make you binge.
hairfitness101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #22
eucalyptus
Raw Beauty

what's the benefit of having several small meals, instead of three main meals? Doesn't that make it seem like you spend a lot of time eating/preparing food each day? How many meals do you eat?
eucalyptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #23
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairfitness101
My idea is similar to LJ's. I like to make my own trail mix. This way I know there's no foreign chemicals, salts, msg etc in the mix. My family goes crazy for it and it doesn't last long so I make two large freezer bags at a time usually.

I buy crispix or wheat chex usually. Sometimes I will buy shredded wheat (mini's-no frosting!). Mix in different dried fruits. Sometimes its raisins but I like to put in dried cranberries or mango.

Add in a can of mixed nuts- or you could do your favorite type- almonds/walnuts etc. Add reduced salt pretzel stix or my fav. sesame or cajun stix. (Not that low fat but its not so bad and oh so satisfying.)

I like to add garlic chips or bagel chips if I have the extra money.

If I'm feeling really bad, I'll add in a bag of m&m's but I find that when I eat sugar it only makes me want more so I try to leave that out. You really don't need it if you add dried fruits. And you don't want to send your body on a glucose high, it will only make you binge.

I think home made trail mix is an excellent idea, you control what and how much.
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #24
hairfitness101
Sparkling Beauty

Thanks summer-time. I'm a definite muncher. I have to make sure I'm not munching just for the sake of munching. The trail mix can be place in ziploc bags for outings to the park, at work (for that 10:30am-I'm so hungry I could pass out! feelings.), and for watching tv. Its also a good way to keep tabs on what the kids are eating.
hairfitness101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #25
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairfitness101
Thanks summer-time. I'm a definite muncher. I have to make sure I'm not munching just for the sake of munching. The trail mix can be place in ziploc bags for outings to the park, at work (for that 10:30am-I'm so hungry I could pass out! feelings.), and for watching tv. Its also a good way to keep tabs on what the kids are eating.
I completely agree, it is a great way to watch your kids intake. I munch on cereal in ziplocks off and on, like a mini breakfast in the morning or a snack anytime.
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #26
Love My Cop
Dazzling Beauty

My favorite snacks: Chuncks of Cantelope, Bananas, Apples and Grapes in a bowl, sprinkled shaved Coconut. - New Potatoes Turkey stuffed in Pita, with lettuces, tomatoes, and chunks of Advocados ( more of a meal, but fillig and light) Baked Salmon, seasoned with lemon pepper
Love My Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #27
truepeacenik
Dazzling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucalyptus
what's the benefit of having several small meals, instead of three main meals? Doesn't that make it seem like you spend a lot of time eating/preparing food each day? How many meals do you eat?
it's grazing and for some people it equalizes blood sugar levels. If the mini meals (actually fancier snacks) are made ahead of time, then it isn't like making two "meals."
I do it in winter or I get low blood sugar quite badly. Summer is liquids and fruits/ veg.

my magic pick me up is cucumber salad (made in large amounts to last a week...so the theory goes)
cukes and red onion slivered fine, jalapeno (serrano if you love heat, a mix if you simply like heat) pepper diced fine, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt and rice wine vinegar, all to taste.
sometimes a drizzle of aguave nectar (liquid sweetener with no glycemic hit...which is the point of eating this). mix. add toasted cumin or other spices as desired.
keep refrigerated and make sure the liquid in the main bowl is covering the cukes.
truepeacenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #28
wavebaby
Dazzling Beauty

Well, I think most of mine have been covered, but here's my usual list, just in case one wasn't already mentioned.

Mixed nuts (handfull, unsalted)
whole wheat tortilla with any of the following: peanut or almond butter, hummus (homemade, if possible) guacamole (again, homemade if possible)

fruit smoothies that go something like this : Frozen strawberries, bananna, blueberries, skim milk, a TBSP or so of cold pressed flax oil - the frozen berried make it thick) and whatever fresh fruit is on hand) - these vary depending on what is on hand, and I usually sprinkle wheat, bran, or flax on them too.

lettuce leaf filled with tuna salad (add raisins or dates or dried apricots for sweetness & texture)

these are just a few "mini" meal snacks that I find fill me up & keep me going.

Last edited by wavebaby : June 12th, 2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
wavebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #29
Amber
Natural Beauty

Boiled eggs are great to have on hand.
Also, those tiny tins of salmon are really useful.
Sometimes I also take carrot sticks and brocolli or cauliflower florettes to work, and eat them with a salsa dip for lunch. Yum!

I'm mostly vege, but am doing my body a favour this year, and trying to eat more paleo.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #30
Karen
Untouched Beauty

Please keep those ideas coming! I really need some ideas because I am hungry all the time but don't eat wheat, dairy, or artificial stuff.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote