Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 21st, 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
mira-chan
Alluring Beauty

Default Cure for the hopeless - dry skin

Alright I have a dilemma.

I have dry skin and keratosis pilaris on my arms. I really should use oil or lotion to moisturize my skin every day.

Now that does not happen because:
1. I'm lazy. - Is there any cure for this?
2. I have no history or previous habits of this and no role models to follow in the family. I have to remind my mother to moisturize her hands when she complains about them being dry.
3. Unless it's 30C/ 85F or above inside I get absurdly cold. It's especially bad after a shower/ bath. I'll be a shivering, blue lipped, zombie looking thing in less than 5 minutes. Putting anything on my skin makes me feel colder.
4. I can't use "quick drying" lotions as they all contain silicone. Dimethicone makes me itch and get red spots. Cyclomethicone makes me itch. All others I can somewhat tolerate at small quantities. If you know one without cones, please tell me.
5. I'm not fond of the coated feeling. Oils feel better by take longer to absorb.

I know I may be a lost cause (please refer to point 1), is there any chance of my keeping up with this or I should just give up. At least until I end up living on the equator.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM   #2
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Seems like Dulci said, once, that skin-brushing was helpful for KP, and I know that dry skin is a beast (my arse is chapped, lol. No, really, the backs of my thighs and bunnage are just dry this winter...it's bizarre) and that you can moisturize until the COWS come home and it won't do a THING unless you exfoliate. I suspect it'd be the same for your arms.

I'd suggest using a loofah or something in the shower, as part of your cleaning routine there, and then, while you're still in the shower (but dried-off) and the room is nice and steamy, smooth on some vitamin E oil or something similar. It should glide on nicely for you on your damp skin, and absorb well. I find that if I wait to get out to the nightstand and my skin is totally dry (even after a good scrubbing) then the lotion just seems to SIT there, as opposed to how it's absorbed nicely if I lotion-up while still IN the steamy bathroom.

HTH,
LisaJ

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
LisaJaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
mira-chan
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaney
Seems like Dulci said, once, that skin-brushing was helpful for KP, and I know that dry skin is a beast (my arse is chapped, lol. No, really, the backs of my thighs and bunnage are just dry this winter...it's bizarre) and that you can moisturize until the COWS come home and it won't do a THING unless you exfoliate. I suspect it'd be the same for your arms.

I'd suggest using a loofah or something in the shower, as part of your cleaning routine there, and then, while you're still in the shower (but dried-off) and the room is nice and steamy, smooth on some vitamin E oil or something similar. It should glide on nicely for you on your damp skin, and absorb well. I find that if I wait to get out to the nightstand and my skin is totally dry (even after a good scrubbing) then the lotion just seems to SIT there, as opposed to how it's absorbed nicely if I lotion-up while still IN the steamy bathroom.

HTH,
LisaJ
Thanks for reminding me about the skin brushing. I completely blanked on that. I'll need to dig up a loofa or brush that I think I left at my parents house, or get a new one.

My skin feels thinner when dry so I'm not chapped (My sympathies) but you can see and the veins, ligaments and bones more than usual. I'm starting to feel like an odd anatomy example since you can see everything! Eugh!

Your bathroom actually keeps the heat then if it steams up easily. My bathroom is drafty, there is always cold from the window. I just have a cruddy home for this then. My bathroom got steamy I think once and that's only after an hour of the shower being on full blast. Usually I'm cold unless I'm directly under the stream of hot water. I've not been in a bathroom that has kept it's warmth (enough for me not to freeze) so I kinda assumed they were all like that and I was a cold weakling... admittedly I am that. DH is fine with the heat level and is barely waring anything and I'm in two layers and eyeing a blanket usually.

So I'm either going to have to suffer the cold for a bit or find away to get the drafts down to a minimum. The super does nothing about that so it's either on us or it doesn't get done.

I have an argan oil mix that I can use. Just motivating myself to use it now in these conditions is the problem then. Points 4 and 5 addressed.

Point 2 is just building up the habit.

Point 3 DH need to figure out how to fix draft wise.

Now point 1... can some one volunteer to come kick me into action?

Last edited by mira-chan : February 21st, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
mira-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Mee! Mee! Pick MEEEEE! lol
Could you hang a towel or put plastic up on that window for the colder months, to cut the draft? They have plastic draft-stop kits they sell at the store. Some of them have double-stick tape, but that tape doesn't come off the window-frame very easily (lesson learned the hard way; I ended up just painting over it, my bad) I am sure there are other types, though.

And (to me) I think I didn't describe waht I meant very well. It's lovely when the room is hot and damp (I swear I'm a cold-blooded lizard; the shower can't BE too hot, nor the bathroom too hot afterward) but what I mostly meant was for you to stay in the room where the humidity is high from the shower and put on your lotions there. I notice a huge difference in the humidity of my bathroom post-shower and my bedroom. Just walking across the bedroom, my skin is noticeably drier by the time I get to that lotion bottle. It's best/most-absorbed if I just have the lotion IN the bathroom with me. I used to do this in the lockerroom at the school and MAN was that place drafty! 12' ceilings, the water was never super-hot, the doors to the lockerroom were ALWAYS propped open for ventilation (no mildew)...but there was increased humidity in the shower area than in the dressing area, so I stood IN my showerstall and applied my lotion after a shower.

My legs and bunnage are just in a state. I think I'm half-allergic to my laundry soap and so I have to rinse my pants over and over again, using vinegar to cut the soap and then rinse some more after that. What a pain. I skipped it last time, and my legs just burned the last three days. Holy crikey! My pants are ALL in the wash now, having been washed and triple-rinsed, then I'm running a quick cycle with vinegar in the first, and clear water for the two remaining portions of the cycle. What a PITA. But my legs, esp where the seams of the pants are, are rough like oatmeal. This has got to stop! (yes, I'm goig to change my laundry soap, but I hate to toss this stuff out, when it ONLY does it on my pants. I'll get new and just do my pants in the new, and use up the old for everything else (shirts and Hubs' clothes))

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
mira-chan
Alluring Beauty

Thanks LisaJaney!

The plastic, we were considering but we need something that can be taken off temporarily as we do get mold if the humidity sits. So airing is required. There's nothing to attach the towel to unfortunately. I think I'll tough it out till warmer weather for now (It's getting there.) and get the plastic with more removable tape next winter.

That locker shower description made me shiver. Brrr..

I keep some oil in the bathroom for that and have tried the REALLY steaming up the bathroom. It holds just barely long enough. Thanks for the dry brushing reminder, that's helping too. My KP is reducing a bit.

Unfortunately I keep getting sick with colds, twice in a row!, so that's not helping encourage me to brave any cold. I was in bed with fever for three days with the first one. I dread how this one's going to go.

Ouch! Allergies are never fun. Maybe use the laundry soap to wash rags, kitchen towels and things that don't touch your skin as much? That way you don't throw it out and you don't have to suffer.
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #6
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

That's my plan -- use the current stuff for "everything but my pants" until it's gone (there's only a fraction of the jumbo-sized bottle left) and use some other stuff when I wash a load of my trousers.

I'm so glad the dry skin brushing is helping!

[/CENTER]