Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Default Best Base/Top Coats?

Every set of nails is unique. So not everything is going to be a wonder for everyone but i think for most people the foundation and topper combo can make or break a mani's lasting power. So i was thinking for as many reviews there are out there they dont give alot of details about the nails they belong to and i thought we could remedy some of that. For instance my friend thinks she is hard on her nails because she opens mail and cat food cans with them. To me thats nothing i wash dishes without gloves, i take long showers, i type alot, i have pets to take care of, a tendancy to bite, I cook/bake from scratch, and i am my own handyman/plumber.

So here's my idea tell us about the personality/life of your nails, your fav base, your fav top, and even your best treatment.

My nail personality - Moderate groth rate not fast not particularly slow unless im having a health flare but my thumbs do grow faster and stronger than the rest. I tend to be more prone to spider cracks and peeling tips due to water damage from prolonged exposure.

My current base coat is orly nail armor a ridge filling silk wrap. Since using it ive had about 70% less spider cracks, no big breaks, and minimal peeling when im wearing it. Skipped a mani for two days and i broke one so i learned my lesson. It has also prolonged my mani's by 2 days if im hard on them 3-4 days if im not but my then i have grow out. I reappy about every 4 days. Bought orly bonder yesterday to apply over this to see if i can get a better mani life when doing alot of cooking and dishes.

My topcoat is out the door. I like it because its fast drying and i do my mani's at night and havent gotten one sheet or hair mark yet. Its sufficently shiney and not too thick. I like to reapply every other day to keep my tip wear and chipping down and this doesnt make me feel like i have press on nails. I kinda want to try seche vite since its so popular but i think the shrinkage would irk me. I heard using it as the second top coat avoids that anyone have personal experiance with that?

Treatments im still looking into my nails could stand to be a bit firmer. Really looking for something i could use as a basecoat for my weekend mani which is typically light colored and doesnt last long because thats when i cook. Any suggestions? Since i dont have a treatment like that i usually give them a good oil massage after buffing when i take my old polish off and let it soak in for a few hours before i shower and do a new mani.

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #2
millyaulait
Sparkling Beauty

My favourite basecoat is CND Stickey.
My favourite topcoat is Essie Good To Go. No shrinkage!
My favourite treatment is Essie Feed Me.

I usually get breaks on the corners of my nails, and somehow horizontally through them which means I usually have to file down the rest of them to match the length of the broken one(s).

I moisturize my nails A LOT, take vitamins, I'm never rough on them or use them as tools, and yet they still break very frequently. I have my nails shaped square/squoval right now, IF they grow longer I'm going to shape them into almonds and hope it gives them a little more strength!
millyaulait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

My Holy Grails are:

CND Stickey base coat because it lives up to it's name, your polish sticks to it and lasts!

Out The Door top coat literally dries about 99% in 45 SECONDS. You can also get it with holographic glitter, gold or silver.

I used to swear by Seche Vite, but I got tired of only being able to use half of the bottle because the rest of it was too thick. I refused to buy THEIR special thinner, so when Out The Door came along, I switched over gladly.

I've had FIVE increases in my thyroid meds within the last six months , so not only is my hair shedding massively, but my nails have gotten thin and three of them have tried to 'lift'. So I'm using Beauty Secrets Nail Hardener before my base coat and then every third day I'll apply it before I apply another coat of OTD top coat.

I have to keep something on my nails when showering or it just wreaks havoc on them. They get too soft and split as I'm toweling off. So I've learned my lesson. Even if it's just two coats of the nail hardener, it's better than nothing.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #4
HintOfMint
Untouched Beauty

I still haven't found a base coat that I'm particularly wedded to, but I am particularly in love with the top coat by Poshe. It dries so fast and gives a really glossy finish with no bubbles (bane of my existence with Sally Hansen and the like). I can actually do my nails at night and not get the squished compression prints or smudges since the topcoat really dries the nails all the way through.
HintOfMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

I have products I really love. My fave base is China Glaze Strong Adhesion Base Coat. Top coat is Seche Vite. For certain polishes I use Posche.
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Used orly bonder with my mani last night "sandwhich" method. So far ok it does feel thicker than i expected. This mani was 1 orly armor, 1 bonder, 1 polish, 1 bonder, 1 polish, 1 odt top coat. Usually its 2 orly armor, 2 - 3 polish, and 1 odt. Even when i do the six layers sans bonder it isnt this thick on the nail which worries me a bit that it might peel. We shall see what happens it has already survived cooking dinner

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #7
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

Wow, I've never heard of a bunch of these products--I need to look into them!

My nails are I guess average. They get dry and brittle when the weather is dry, but otherwise they're pretty good. I'm not too hard on them; I try to use gloves when I garden, and I've just bought gloves for dishes and housework. I don't polish a lot because I hate it when it chips, and I'm kinda lazy. I've been in a polish mood lately though, and so have bought some new ones.

Nail treatment: I love Solar Oil and massage it into my cuticles and nails at least twice a day, sometimes more. I get dry cuticles and then hangnails. I've tried tons of cuticle cremes and lotions, even stuff for horses, but so far I've liked Solar Oil the best. The only other thing I've liked is MegaTek, which is Ovation (same formula, different scent), but for horses. It did make my "hooves" stronger I thought! I've also used Nutra Nail after acrylics and thought that worked well. I've just purchased the nail hardener from China Glaze, but haven't tried it yet, as you can't polish over it, and I'm in the mood for color.

For base coats, I guess I haven't been that impressed so far. Right now I'm using Sephora's base coat and it seems pretty good.

For top coats, I'm using China Glaze, and I'm really liking it. My polish is really lasting this time. I think Seche Vite is overrated. It did dry fast, but I don't think it made my polish last longer.

I'm going to check out those top and base coats. Are they available in stores, or just online?

Last edited by Shell : November 12th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell
I'm going to check out those top and base coats. Are they available in stores, or just online?

I found out the door and the orly's at sally beauty. Im starting to agree about seche vite i went out in the blogasphere for some side by side's and i like the odt results better.

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

Thanks Natalia. Orly I've heard of, but not otd. I'm intrigued! Once upon a time, there was an oil product that you painted on over your topcoat to help your nails dry quickly. I don't remember what it was called, it was great, but it was discontinued. I always want to do my nails at night, but they get ruined, so I am going to try the otd. Do you use after a topcoat, or instead of one?
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell
Thanks Natalia. Orly I've heard of, but not otd. I'm intrigued! Once upon a time, there was an oil product that you painted on over your topcoat to help your nails dry quickly. I don't remember what it was called, it was great, but it was discontinued. I always want to do my nails at night, but they get ruined, so I am going to try the otd. Do you use after a topcoat, or instead of one?

Otd (out the door) is a quick dry top coat so i use it over polish in place of a traditional one. I think i may have heard of an old quick dry that you mention but i always remember the one my mom had. A big thick pressurized can just like hairspray but smelled worse ! All the things i used to get sprayed with back in my dancing days that one i remember very clearly. Anytime i see gold sparkle poilsh i swear i can still smell that stuff, occasionally when i hear the song that costume went with as well.