Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Vanille_
Sparkling Beauty

Default Threading

Does anyone here thread their own eyebrows? Is there a special thread I should use? Because I watched some youtube videos, thought I had the idea, but wasn't able to really do it. I usually get them done professionally, but I would like to save money.
[/CENTER]
Vanille_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #2
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

I can't answer your question but I have considered having this done before. How long does it take? It seems very time consuming compared to shaving or waxing.
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Vanille_
Sparkling Beauty

Well the lady who does it professionally - it takes about the same time as waxing and I love that she can get a better shape. But then ... she's a professional.
[/CENTER]
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Angelistarr
Sparkling Beauty

I've threaded the hair off my thighs before. I've never gotten the hang of it well enough to do my facial hair. I used regular sewing thread. And from what I remember the girls at the salon used regular thread as well.

[SIZE="1"][B]2c/3a:MC:III
Current: maintaining APL (until after boot camp!)
Current Goal: WAIST!![/B][/SIZE]
Angelistarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #5
SerinaDaith
Untouched Beauty

Regular cotton sewing thread works fine. I like it because I don't get as much redness or irritation as I do when I have waxed or been to a professional. I have not got it perfect so I have to go back in and clean up a bit but it is quick, cheap and easy.
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Kat12
Untouched Beauty

I've heard mixed things about threading... some people say it hurts less than waxing/plucking, and some say it's excruciating. Which is it? I can't imagine it can be much different than plucking-- it's still someone tearing your eyebrows out one by one-- but I could be wrong?

Heaven knows my eyebrows need help, and I'd like to have them professionally done once so I have a good idea of what to do with them, but not really sure I want to sit still while somebody painstakingly rips my hair out one at a time... OTOH, waxing is so final and you only get one chance, lol. (I know, there shouldn't be a problem with the professionals. I just remember one time way back in high school when my mom did it for me, and somehow too much hair stuck and I lost half an eyebrow in one fell swoop... luckily I must have had a few tiny blond hairs left, and I found that my black-brown mascara matched my eyebrows perfectly, so I was able to fake it convincingly, but still!)
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Angelistarr
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12
I've heard mixed things about threading... some people say it hurts less than waxing/plucking, and some say it's excruciating. Which is it? I can't imagine it can be much different than plucking-- it's still someone tearing your eyebrows out one by one-- but I could be wrong?

I think that completely depends on the persons pain threshold. Personally it feels like a burning sensation but its not painful. (Tmi maybe but kinda like a spanking, the sensation afterwards? Something like that) but uhh yeah. Depends on each individual person

[SIZE="1"][B]2c/3a:MC:III
Current: maintaining APL (until after boot camp!)
Current Goal: WAIST!![/B][/SIZE]
Angelistarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #8
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

I think it also depends on whereabouts on the face you are doing it. I did it for the first time ever yesterday after reading this thread! It's quite easy when you get the hang of it, and you can 'cover more ground' than with tweezers alone. I know, because I did practically my whole face! I normally bleach the hair on my upper lip and chin, and even on my cheeks because the vellus hair has been getting longer and is now very visible. I've not really removed it before except with a depilatory cream on occasion, but it was beginning to bother me.

The area above my lip hurt but it got easier as I went along, so like waxing or tweezing you get used to the discomfort. You need good skin contact. I started right by my lips (ouch!!) and then moved upwards. I found if I alternated a 'left then right' movement back and forth over little areas it removed more hair quickly. Also I found that it was more effective if I went against the direction of growth, which was strange.

Anyway, apart from a bit of redness which I sorted out with witch hazel and aloe vera, my face feels really smooth today and that's a first. I think if I'd used a depilatory cream to get rid of all the hair I would be feeling stubble right now.

I'm wondering whether I can get the area under my chin and the top bit of my neck now as that's also an area of concern. The few hairs that show up there are coarser and darker - eek!!

I used these videos to work out the technique :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37Sl1c7BA0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK6Y1...feature=fvwrel

The first one's good as the camera really zooms in on what she's doing.

ETA1: - The 'loop' I made was only about 4 or 5 inches wide when tied. I only have small fingers and it felt like I had more control. I twisted the thread 10 tines so there were plenty of twists for the hair to catch in.

ETA2: I did attempt to do some of the areas around my eyebrows, such a above them, where they're not so visible and the hair is finer. I had a little go at removing some stragglies under the arch itself but think I'd need to practice a bit to be really precise. So I'll probably carry on tweezing for now in that area. For the other facial areas, I think this technique is going to be ideal for me.

Last edited by Aredhel77 : November 8th, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #9
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

I need to have my eyebrows done professionally at least once. I cannot shape them too well myself but I get by. I want to try the threading when I do. I think my skin would handle it better than waxing, which I have never done anywhere ever. I tweeze to shape my eyebrows. I have those wonky ones close to my nose that go the opposite direction of the rest or straight up. I hates them.

Anyway, once I see the proper shape I can keep it up as the hairs grow back in.
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Vanille_
Sparkling Beauty

My skin is sensitive to waxing and threading. More so to waxing. So if you have sensitive skin, what I recommend is to take some witch hazel and cotton balls to your car when you go. They will probably clean the area for you anyway, but if you are going to be out for a bit, I like to reapply it often. As soon as I get home, I apply ice to stop the inflammation (I also take an ibeprofen an hour or so before the threading). And I keep applying the witch hazel periodically that first day.

It really helps.

I like getting my eyebrows shaped by a threader. They always look so much better than getting them waxed. My theory is 1. Threading might be more precise and/or 2. The people who thread deal with eyebrows all day long. Their job focus is eyebrows - not dying hair and doing eyebrows a couple times on the side.
[/CENTER]