Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
afu
Sparkling Beauty

Default Primers

Who here uses primers? which ones and why?

I've become a little unhappy with the finish of my BB cream lately, because my skin doesn't look very even (pores rather than skintone) - it's not a massive deal but I work next to all the premium cosmetics counters in a health and beauty chain where all the ladies look totally immaculate and airbrushed!

I bought No7 stay perfect primer today which has excellent reviews and the ladies at the counter couldn't rave about it enough! I've just tried it and im not sure it makes much difference, it feels lovely going on - incredibly silky and smooth. But im not sure the final result is actually any different. I did make the mistake of not moisturising first though so my skin was too dry really, i'll try again tomorrow, keep forgetting my skin is now 'winter skin'!
afu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

I used to use one by smashbox years ago i liked the finish it gave my face but my makeup wore off faster over my t-zome where i need the most coverage. I hope someone can pass along something better.

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #3
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

I have the l'oreal one, and I do find it helps, especially in photos but I also found it made my acne a bit worse. Likely I just wasn't washing it off well enough. I should try it again!
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #4
afu
Sparkling Beauty

Thanks girls The one I've got has stuff in it to prevent breakouts and is meant to make makeup last longer, so maybe i won't have those problems. I wrongly thought it would work in place of a moisturiser so now im going to have to buy moisturiser too! I got a little pot of Estee Lauder moisturiser in the prize i won at work on halloween and it's fab - at £48 a jar I won't be able to replace it when it's gone though!
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #5
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

Afu this is just what I am dealing with, my "winter face" and all my make-up gives the effect of trying to cover zombie skin LOL. I am striving for make-up free but for some reason my acne has flared back up and I begin the acne/make-up cycle.

I need a moisturizer but have yet to find one that doesn't flare my acne. AVG works OK but I keep hearing it is actually bad in winter because it pulls moisture away and not to the skin (pulls from wherever has the most moisture). Jojoba is supposed to be good and I have some but it does not actually absorb into skin. I have used it before and cannot recall if it causes acne, too, or not.

My eczema has flared up, too. My skin is just a mess! I know I am not drinking enough water but I am taking my vitamins. We have a wood stove and that really sucks the moisture out of the house. We probably need a humidifier. DH is very strict about electricity usage though! lol
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #6
afu
Sparkling Beauty

I used AVG as my only moisturiser since march and it was brilliant, but it definitly doesn't seem to be working at all now My face reacts badly to commercial moisturisers too regarding breakouts so I don't know which to go for.. My skin loves OCM but most 'anti-acne' type moisturisers seem to just bang on about being oil free which I don't believe is actually the problem.
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #7
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

afu, I seem to be sensitive to something is pretty much anything you could call a cream. I have never figured out what it is.
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

Hmm, maybe you two should look into serums instead of creams? I like the idea of them for under other things, seems like cream and then primer and the BB cream would just be a lot of layers. Serums are closer to oils and in my experience soak in faster than creams do?
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #9
afu
Sparkling Beauty

I asked the ladies on the No7 counter about using serums and they said that serums are meant to be used under a moisturiser, so serum-moisturiser-primer-makeup, apparently they aren't designed for replacing moisturiser :s
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #10
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

Huh. What about the combined ones then? The serum + in a tube? Seems like an awful lot of 'make-up' rules designed to make one purchase even more makeup to me (she says, as she walks in the door having traded in for a new BB cream and eyebrow pencil, LOL)