Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Libbylou
Natural Beauty

I have two questions:
Are BB creams drying at all or do they provide moisture? My skin is dry enough with adding to it.
Do you ladies just walk in and ask for samples? I have never done this, it makes good marketing sense.
Libbylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #22
afu
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbylou
I have two questions:
Are BB creams drying at all or do they provide moisture? My skin is dry enough with adding to it.
Do you ladies just walk in and ask for samples? I have never done this, it makes good marketing sense.

It depends on the BB cream, many ranges have a BB cream aimed at dry, combination or oily skin sold individually (eg. No7 brand). With Skin79 I know that there is variation in theirs too, the orange one is for oily skin for example. My advice would just be to read plenty of reviews before buying, they are usually very useful. I have combination skin - some oily patches and some very dry. I use the Skin79 orange bottle which is for oily skin, but apply moisturiser underneath - it seems to provide the perfect balance that way
afu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #23
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

Libbylou, afu is exactly right--there are different formulations among and within brands. Most Asian BB creams seem to also be moisturizing, but I'm seeing more and more aimed at oily skin. Most American BB creams don't seem all that moisturizing to me, so a lot of women wear moisturizer underneath. I don't like to layer products because that encourages breakout for me, so I prefer to use products that contain moisturizer.

As for samples, yes, just ask. Explain to them that you have sensitive skin or eyes (this is what I do) so they know that you need to try it at home, not just as a swatch on your wrist or jawline. The best places to get samples are Nordstrom (they have fabulous customer service), Sephora (they are also very happy to give out samples), and Ulta (they aren't as quick to offer, but I've gotten a lot of samples here too). Drugstores are harder. The ones around here to do not offer samples and sometimes they don't even have testers sitting out. That's why you won't see as many reviews by me of drugstore brands--I'd have to buy a whole tube. Now, that said, they are also a lot cheaper than department store brands, so if you do get one that you don't like, it doesn't hurt the pocketbook so much!

As far as Asian BB creams go, it's harder to sample them. I've bought a few samples online, and when you order BB cream, they include some, but again, you don't get to try before hand generally. So, you're left to do a lot of research. My article is designed to get you started, but you'll need to choose those that look interesting and go "surfing." There are a lot of great reviews of all kinds of BB cream at Makeup Alley; I do a lot of my research there.

Best of luck, and let us know what you learn!
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #24
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

I traded in my smashbox for the gosh. I did retry the marcelle and the annebelle, but the gosh seemed to be the best. I also tried the Quo one, which I hadn't seen before, and it was actually quite good too. I guess if the gosh doesn't work out I will go trade it in for the quo. LOL.

I got 01 sand, and it seems to be okay so far!
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

Yay--I'm glad that you got it all exchanged and got a good one. I'm awaiting three in the mail, and I'm dying for them to get here. One is just samples, and one is small and inexpensive--only one is full sized. Hurry, hurry Mr. Postman.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #26
afu
Sparkling Beauty

Has anyone who used Skin79 BB creams worked out a way of knowing how much is left in the bottle?! I order mine from korea and am scared of it suddenly running out
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #27
afu
Sparkling Beauty

Also for those experimenting I thought it might be useful to share the link of where I get mine from, they do samples of most full sized asian BB creams: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sing-Sing-Girls-Shop
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #28
zombi
Untouched Beauty

Thanks -- great comparison!

I myself use the Missha no.13 -- the lightest shade they offer. I'm too fair for many other Asian brands I've tried and also for any of the Western ones I've tried. I have also always found tinted moisturizers to be too oily and greasy feeling for me, and dislike them. That might be another reason I have disliked the Western bb creams I've tried. As it is, I rarely use makeup for the skin anyway, so when I do, I just use my no.13 (:
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #29
afu
Sparkling Beauty

Thanks for that zombi, I too have difficulty finding products pale enough. So far the Skin79 orange bottle (spf50 one) is the palest I've found, but im not sure how it compares to the missha no13 - will keep it in mind for future
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #30
SerinaDaith
Untouched Beauty

Shell Ivory tends to be about as light as I can find so I tend to go with it but some companies turn orange after a little while so I figured it was a chemical thing or a ph thing. I tend to wear olay reginerest spf 30 concealer and powder most days and foundation only on days that I have to be more pulled together. I loved burts bees tinted lotion but when they got bought out they discontinued it and I haven't found anything since. BB cream seems like it may be pretty close to what I have been looking for.