Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Default Best tips for giving up picking lips habit

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods please move this thread if it belongs in another section of the forum. Around my freshman year of high school I picked up the habit of picking my lips when they'd be dry or even chapped. During wintertime, mom always used butter as natural remedy but I'd always lick it right off. I've gotten to the point where I want to give up this habit and even though chapstick is a temporary solution, I'm a bit concerned with it drying my lips as it has petrolatum in it. Anyone have any tips?
Growing till BSL (for now)
biogirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #2
JamieLeigh
Radiant Beauty

Try shopping around for a lip balm that has all-natural ingredients in it. They're a dime a dozen on Etsy.com (type into the search box "natural lip balm" or "vegan lip balm" for the best ones). I have one that contains shea butter and aloe, and as a bonus, it smells amazing so I rub it on several times a day.
Old October 25th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Jamie, thank you for the suggestion to look on Etsy.com. I knew Chagrin Valley made all-natural lip balms, but theirs seemed expensive. Etsy might be a tiny bit more expensive than Chagrin Valley, but may work better in the summer. I'll look into it.
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Holo
Untouched Beauty

I have that problem too, and so do my best to keep my lips from chapping in the first place. It took a while to get into the habit of it, but now I apply lip balm religiously throughout the day. Chapstick is pretty cruddy in my experience and does dry out the lips(exasperates the problem so you will want to apply more Chapstick!) but there are good alternatives. My favorite natural one is Burt's Bees- it's very nice, easily found in drug stores, and not overly expensive.

ETA: And make sure to stay hydrated!
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Thank you. Burt's Bees line may be the first line I try as I can get at my local Walmart without paying for shipping like I'd have to with Etsy and Chargin Valley.
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

You can make your own too. This one is my favorite -

Peppermint Chocolate Lips Balms 30 grams -
15g Cocoa/Shea
7g Grapeseed/Emu
7.5g Beeswax
3 - 5 Drops Vitamin E Oil
6 - 8 Drops Pepperming EO

Melt first 3 ingredients till liquid then add E Oil and EO. Makes three small tins of a VERY firm lip balm.

ETA: You can narrow the resuls on esty to minimize shipping cost. After you search go down the left side of the page and you will see a few options. Who knows someone in the next city may make something yummy

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]

Last edited by Natalia : October 26th, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #7
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Natalia, that's a good idea, but melting the butters would be tricky as I don't have enough pots to melt them in.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by biogirl87
Natalia, that's a good idea, but melting the butters would be tricky as I don't have enough pots to melt them in.

im lazy i did one recipe in the microwave, one bain marie style with a tiny stainless bowl over a coffee cup of hot water, and i did one bain marie style on the stove. The coffee cup one takes longer but its easy and gentle on the oils.

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

Try a good lip scrub to get rid of dead, dry skin. You can make your own with a little sugar and olive oil. apply the scrub and rub it on your lips to scrub off the dry skin then rinse, pat your lips dry and apply a good lip balm. Keep the lip balm with you and reapply as needed so that you lips are always moisturized and soft and there is no dry skin to pick and bite.

Wearing a beautiful lipstick and or gloss can be helpful, too as you won't want to mess up your pretty lips picking at them. Be sure to choose moisturizing lipsticks and glosses (these types of products don't have great staying power, you'll have to reapply more often than longer lasting formulas) that will keep your lips moist and soft so that they don't dry out and tempt you to pick.

These hints helped me get over picking and biting my lips. I never do it, anymore.
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Gladtobemom
Natural Beauty

My lips dry out a lot more in the Autumn/Winter. I have a bad habit of biting at those little skin flakes, then pulling them and they get sore; sometimes they bleed.

What works for me is to carry some lip balm in my pocket. I like My Lip Stuff Vanilla Icing or the Lip Ink Spearmint Lip Moisturizer (in a tube with a wand).

I buy an assortment from Lip Stuff in the fall, then I save caps of different colors so each person has their own color cap. Zowie has purple, Wavy has Whate, I have yellow, DH has Red. Lip Stuff has oodles of flavor/scents.

The kids and DH leave a lip balm in a decorative cup on the family room mantel. Hmmm, not sure how that started, I think it was because I just started putting them there when I found them.

[URL="http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=955447&postcount=627"]OCM Rocks[/URL]
Gladtobemom is offline   Reply With Quote