Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #11
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

My gran has always ate the large meal of the day at lunch time, and then a soup at supper time. She said it is because you work off the large meal if you eat it earlier- after supper most people just want to relax, not go work the fields or whatever.
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #12
tigereye
Untouched Beauty

I'm the other way around. I'm a morning person, I'm happy in the mornings, and I'm really not geared up for nights. I can't stay in bed once the sun is up. I find it difficult to stay up after 10pm unless there's a major party going on, and I'm drinking caffeine all night.
If I stay up until the early hours of the morning, the sun starts to come up, and then no matter how much I try, I can't get back to sleep.
It may sound great, but I often end up missing out on nights out and such because I'm just too tired by the time they get going. Plus, I often end up annoying the "night" people when I'm up and cheery in the mornings.
tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Kat12
Untouched Beauty

Heavens yes. I've been a "night person" since the day I was born (really. Even when I was a little baby, according to my parents. My mom couldn't stand it; she preferred to do her cleaning in the morning and she couldn't run the vacuum! I guess when I was a young baby she once complained to the doctor that she had to wake me up to feed me-- "why are you waking her up???" he replied). When I was a kid, my friends at school would be talking about watching cartoons before school and I simply couldn't comprehend why they'd get up any earlier than they had to. I don't exercise in the morning, I shower at night, I don't eat breakfast until I get to work-- I get up in time to get ready, feed the kitty, check my email, and go... and no earlier.

Now I realize that part of my problem is that I also need a lot of sleep-- and of course I'm not going to go to bed at 8 or 9 in the evening so I can get 10 hours in by the time the alarm clock goes off at 6 or 7 in the morning. And, being a night person, sometimes my body is just NOT tired until 11 or 12 at night... I can be exhausted in the morning, but wide awake at 9 or 10 at night. Mind you, I can't be completely nocturnal now-- I hear of people going OUT to party at 10 or 11 at night and I'm like, "that's when I think it's time to come HOME." I could probably get into that kind of lifestyle, but I'd have to have a week or two of not having to go to work/able to go to bed and get up whenever I want, to get used to it. I just need too much sleep to be able to stay out really late, get a couple hours of sleep, then bounce up and go to work in the morning.

In college, I spontaneously became a morning person for about three days. I gotta tell you, it was AWESOME. I'd get up in the morning and go to breakfast before my 8:00 class... wow. And then it just turned off as quickly as it had switched on and I was back to normal. But I got to briefly see how the other half lives, and it was a lot easier.

I do tend to wake up naturally around 9 or 10 on weekends, though. Comes from when I started living with my former partner, who was off on Saturdays at that time-- around 9:00 is when he'd be awake and want to talk to me and bug me and tickle me and crap, so I got used to it. Sometimes I can go back to sleep if I wake up around then, but sometimes I just get up.

Like others, I can sometimes be irritable in the morning. Part of the reason I stopped singing in church choir was that I have TWO days a week when I don't have to get up early (weekends) and having to get up early to be at church early was a bit grating-- so I'd get there and all the other choir people would be like "oh good morning how are you" and want to be chatty, and I just wanted to be left alone and not have to talk to anyone, so I was having to make a real effort not to come across as sullen or snappish or antisocial... which is not an attitude you want to have at church.

Unfortunately, we live in a morning person's world. Though I'm not sure why, since I hear sooo many people complaining about getting up in the morning. If everybody hates it, why don't we change it???
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:11 PM   #14
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze
My mom has always claimed she is nocturnal by nature; because I am a light sleeper and have trouble falling asleep, she always said I was, too. I am not sure how much I believe this theory, but in her case, she truly believes she is 'wired to be nocturnal.'

She doesn't go to bed until late, wakes often, and gets up late and slowly, often hanging around the house in her bathrobe until noon. She has depression and fibromyalgia, and I know that these conditions are not made better by not getting enough sleep - immune system can become compromised long term if you don't get enough deep sleep.

When I was last visiting I was trying to get her up and out of the house before lunchtime - my favorite schedule is to go to bed at ten and wake at seven, and I spent a LOT of time waiting for her - she rarely made it.

Natalia, it does sound like you are not rested. What do you eat for dinner? Are you getting enough exercise? These things can help your body and mind be tired, so that you sleep well. Conversely, if it is available where you live, I'd try melatonin - it has helped me when my mind 'just won't shut down'...

I have Fibro too, but I'm sure not depressed, I've come to terms with my health problems and just take it one day at a time. I have so much MORE wrong with me than Fibro, so unless I go into an honest to goodness flare (happens about 3-4 times a year because I have it under control for the most part with medication) my Fibro does not keep me from doing things. I take a muscle relaxer an hour before bedtime and then a sleeping aid , so I do get at least six hours of good deep sleep.
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #15
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia
Its very annoying to try to keep any kind of "normal" schedual when i dread going to bed knowing how i feel in the morning especially when i get so much more done at night.

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze
Natalia, it does sound like you are not rested. What do you eat for dinner? Are you getting enough exercise? These things can help your body and mind be tired, so that you sleep well. Conversely, if it is available where you live, I'd try melatonin - it has helped me when my mind 'just won't shut down'...

I know melatonin just does not work for some people but is is a miracle pill for me. I pop one in (I get the tasty kind) and read until my eyes are so heavy I cannot stand it anymore then go right to sleep. Usually. I do have bouts of insomnia it won't help.

It doesn't help me STAY asleep or sleep well, though. I have a sort of REM disorder where I never get to deep sleep. I walk around most my life sleep deprived. Consequently, getting up is hardest for me. I know the rare nights I get a good sleep, one of those times when you feel like you just went to bed and BAM it is morning already and I am not only awake, but alert. PHEW. I think I can count on one hand how many times that has happened to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AineMuirne
I hate going to sleep, too, but it's mostly because you can't get stuff done while you're sleeping. I do feel physically worse in the morning than when I go to sleep, though, no matter how much I sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLeigh
I'm just wired that way. It doesn't seem to matter whether I get 3 hours of sleep or 12 hours of sleep, though, I'm just as lucid one way as the other.

YES! I am so productive in the evenings, and lucid. And I agree, no matter how much or little sleep I get, the waking effect is the same. But as I said above, I KNOW I am not getting quality sleep most the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12
Unfortunately, we live in a morning person's world. Though I'm not sure why, since I hear sooo many people complaining about getting up in the morning. If everybody hates it, why don't we change it???

This we do and I have fought it all my life. BUT i have learned to conform and I take advantage of the nocturnal habit by getting up early yo do all my errands and chores before most the world is awake so there are less people and less traffic to deal with. On those days, I am motivated to get up and it is easier to do. I intentionally schedule appointments for as early as I can get there after the kids leave for school.

The answer to your question is...because if we change it, evening becomes the new morning and the problem will still exist
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #16
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgreen
I have Fibro too, but I'm sure not depressed, I've come to terms with my health problems and just take it one day at a time.

Justy, my MIL has bad depression and fibro and a ton of other health issues. She cannot seem to break the depression cycle and is a very hard person to be around. Any advice?
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #17
afu
Sparkling Beauty

In the UK there always seems to be disagreements on what you should call meal times; some people have breakfast, dinner, tea and others say breakfast, lunch, dinner. It appears that 'dinner' is the large meal of the day so geographical area plays a large part - traditionally some areas would have their large, main meal in the middle of the day and others at night. I'm a 'breakfast, dinner, tea' kind of person!

I have always been a night person until recently,the past year that got to the extreme with my insomnia. Since going paleo my internal clock seems to be shifting, im definitly not a morning person, but I find it easier to have early nights and get up early and my most productive time of day has shifted from late evening to afternoon.

Melatonin is not legal here without prescription (and from what i know it is rarely even given by doctors), plus im not keen on messing with my hormones too much. I did take sleeping tablets every so often through my insomnia but they didn't help me to feel well rested and alert in the morning
afu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #18
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

I forgot to say I have a collection of "helps" I use to assist in waking me up in the morning.

I take my B12/complex drops as soon as I am awake. It is supposed to give you energy.

Tips I have gathered:

Anticipate one positive thing to look forward to the next day and think about it immediately upon waking.

Do something brain stimulating first thing (I browse here or TLHC if it is up). Turn on the radio ot TV, too.

Flip on lights and remove the "comforting/drowsy" atmosphere.

Get dressed right away, or shower immediately then get dressed.

Drink a full glass of water as soon as you get up as well. Our bodies become dehydrated overnight and rehydrating quickly helps get the brain functioning at full power faster. You could even keep a glass of water next to the bed, drink it with first alarm and then snooze a couple times. Water is immediately absorbed through the stomach lining and needs very little time to get into circulation.

Exercise, go far a walk. (ha ha...I could never do this! lol)

This may help you wake up but will never make you a morning person!
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #19
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong
Justy, my MIL has bad depression and fibro and a ton of other health issues. She cannot seem to break the depression cycle and is a very hard person to be around. Any advice?

WSL, I might be strange. I used anti-depressants for three years and during that time tried to come to terms with my health issues. Once I felt in control, I weaned myself off the med slowly. I tried several of them, did the best on WEllbutrin XL, but it made my blood pressure go up.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #20
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Hey all wanted to drop back in. Sorry i havent been replying i get easily overwhelmed without that handy multi-quote feature so i tend to put off replying to long ones. But your thoughful replies have not gone unnoticed. Odd timing in all this because this time change is throwing me for a loop and a half. Also deathly dreading my unavoidable 8:30 am appointment next week i hate government offices.....

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote