Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #11
shutterpillar
Natural Beauty

I would love to lift! My Crossfit friends are seriously my heroes. It is insane what they can do!

But, until I can get a bigger house for a home gym, or money for a gym membership, I do body weight training at home. Good luck to everyone!
shutterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Katze
Dazzling Beauty

I love weight lifting. It feels like a massage.

I started over a year ago and go irregularly - 1-3x a week - hard with stressful work and family schedule, and being sick a lot. Since I've been pregnant I have been focusing on back, chest, neck, and upper arms, and it feels so good! I hope to go tomorrow, just a very gentle workout, to stretch things out, then in the sauna afterwards...
Katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:17 AM   #13
Kaydana
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_dela
delila- that sounds really cool! i like the idea of the full body workouts. but i don't do vid workouts at home, i don't have the space or the privacy :/

kaydana- like i said i don't have the space or privacy at home to work out lol. i'd love to have a gym membership for a time to get away and focus on maintaining my body. I love my me time

Jacqueline- From what I know, to bulk up you eat a lot of protein, and frequently. And lift heavier weights with fewer reps. but i haven't been lifting for very long yet lol

You're not going to have privacy at a gym either, so I don't see how privacy could possibly be an issue.

So now we've established that that's just an excuse, go get a kettlebell and do your workout in a public park if you lack space, make that your place to get away to for your "me time". Ignore the other people in the park, it's no different to the people in the gym.

ETA: Remember, plenty of people work out in parks, it's totally normal. There's no rule that says you can only work out there if you're running. And it's not like anyone would DARE shout anything but encouragement to someone hurling a kettlebell around!

Last edited by Kaydana : October 21st, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Kaydana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:15 AM   #14
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

jacqueline101-You cant get huge muscles like a man but you can get pretty nice sized muscles for a woman. Lift more weight with less reps. I have done p90x before and Toni Horton mentions 8-10 reps for size and 12-15 reps for going lean. Now I do my own thing now because dh and I are into fitness-alot. I admitt I am struggling with my seasonal depression right now and I have been making awful food choices-which really bothers and angers me. But thats a battle that I just have to overcome somehow. Anyways, when I lift using dumbells I will use weights from 10lbs to 35lbs. And I go for 8-10 reps. making sure that I am struggling with those last two reps. I was very pleased with the size of my arms this summer. I got alot of compliments on them. I was leaning out which also made them pop and it showed all my hard work! After I worked out I have a whey protein drink for recovery and help build the muscles. I also did alot of squats, dead lifts, lunges, and different leg, butt, and thigh exercises. Go on you tube and you will find a ton of working out info and anything you actually want on fitness and how to get the body/muscles you want.

Shutterpillar-I have dabbled in crossfit! I only say dabble because Im not consistent with it and I can no way compete with regular crossfit athletes. I will incorporate some crossfit into my workout usually. Unfortunatley I do have to substitute things because I have a bad back. Sometimes I will do dead lifts and then Im walking with the pelvis in and my feet out like Ercole from Family Matters-thats an old tv show just in case you never heard of it! So then I have to go upside down on our inversion table and hope it works its way out or Im going to the chiropractor. Plus there are just some things I cant do but would love to-muscle ups! Boy I wish I could do those. I love doing cleans but to do the clean where it goes over my head, I cant remember if thats called a clean and jerk, my back bothers me again. Anyways, I do what I can and I really like crossfit. And all those crossfitters on the crossfit games-Wow! I would love to be good enough to compete!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #15
clem_dela
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydana
You're not going to have privacy at a gym either, so I don't see how privacy could possibly be an issue.

So now we've established that that's just an excuse, go get a kettlebell and do your workout in a public park if you lack space, make that your place to get away to for your "me time". Ignore the other people in the park, it's no different to the people in the gym.

ETA: Remember, plenty of people work out in parks, it's totally normal. There's no rule that says you can only work out there if you're running. And it's not like anyone would DARE shout anything but encouragement to someone hurling a kettlebell around!

sorry i guess i should give some more info about the privacy issue- i get a lot of crap at home for exercising. I get a lot of scorn from my sister and brothers and parents, i'm not really sure why- they're like this about everything I do. Because of this i'm pretty much always uncomfortable around my family... I like working in a gym because everyone's there for the same thing so it's a lot easier for me, and a lot more comfortable. Also if I have questions I can ask someone else who's there, because they're bound to know more than I do, and not likely to make fun of me, at least to my face :P
The park is a great idea though, I may try that.
clem_dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:17 PM   #16
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Wow Clem_dela, Im so sorry your family doesnt support you-thats so sad. If you were my daughter I would be there cheering you on. Big hugs!!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #17
clem_dela
Untouched Beauty

awww, thanks spookyghost. *hugs* some people who are closer to me are super supportive, so I do my best
Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM   #18
Kaydana
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_dela
sorry i guess i should give some more info about the privacy issue- i get a lot of crap at home for exercising. I get a lot of scorn from my sister and brothers and parents, i'm not really sure why- they're like this about everything I do. Because of this i'm pretty much always uncomfortable around my family... I like working in a gym because everyone's there for the same thing so it's a lot easier for me, and a lot more comfortable. Also if I have questions I can ask someone else who's there, because they're bound to know more than I do, and not likely to make fun of me, at least to my face :P
The park is a great idea though, I may try that.

Ahhhh now it makes more sense! *Hugs* I'm sorry your family aren't supportive of you. As a general rule, when people are like that about other people exercising it's because you exercising makes them realise that they should be exercising too, but they don't want to exercise so they make fun of the people who do exercise so they don't feel like they should exercise... does that make sense?
Kaydana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:04 AM   #19
clem_dela
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydana
Ahhhh now it makes more sense! *Hugs* I'm sorry your family aren't supportive of you. As a general rule, when people are like that about other people exercising it's because you exercising makes them realise that they should be exercising too, but they don't want to exercise so they make fun of the people who do exercise so they don't feel like they should exercise... does that make sense?

yes that makes perfect sense... i know because i have felt the same way before :P thanks Kaydana
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #20
Rain
Trampy Toes of the Month

I lift weights. I do barbell squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and Pendlay rows. I was doing overhead presses but I have to quit them, as they're aggravating shoulder impingement. Need to find some alternative shoulder exercises but I'm resting it for now.

I lift heavy. I always start with squats and I'll do a set or two of bodyweight squats to stretch a little bit, then I'll do a set or two with just the bar. Then I add a little more, then I get to my working weight. I always try to add more weight than I used the previous session but I can't always do it. I don't do more than five reps in a set. I'm getting strong and quite muscular but I don't look like a man at all.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote