Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #1
clem_dela
Untouched Beauty

Default weight lifting!

I didn't see a thread for this one, so i thought i'd post on it: are there any other girls who lift on here?

i've been lifting twice a week since the beginning of this semester and i love it, and I am noticing a difference in strength and muscle tone... am I alone in here?
clem_dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I managed to fall off the 'working out regularly' wagon with a bit of a thud, but I do enjoy lifting weights when I'm working out.

What kind of workouts do you do ? with a dvd? planning your own workouts (on paper)?

Just wondering.

So far, I've only tried the follow along workouts I've got, and I do enjoy that.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #3
clem_dela
Untouched Beauty

well, i've been lifting in a weight lifting class at my community college; basically the rules are to show up on time and work out until class ends. So i typically use whatever machines no one else is using; i do the bike or treadmill (to warm up) and then i do bench presses, shoulder presses, chest presses, tricep presses, barbell squats, and back extensions... (there's probably more that i'm not thinking of right now.)

I love weight lifting because it doesn't really rely on speed, or a rhythm of movement, or coordination; like zumba or some such exercise. it's slow and steady and intentional, and that's what i'm all about.
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Delila
Enticing Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_dela
...it's slow and steady and intentional, and that's what i'm all about.

That's a great way to put it.

I think most of the workouts I've persisted with are pretty much like that.

The kettlebell workouts I've done are that way, I just move at my own pace, and do what I can. Need to get back to it, my hamstrings are tightening up, and KB really does help with that.
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #5
clem_dela
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delila
The kettlebell workouts I've done are that way, I just move at my own pace, and do what I can. Need to get back to it, my hamstrings are tightening up, and KB really does help with that.

I wish i could try kettlebells! but they don't have them in the gym at my college I need a gym membership...
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Delila
Enticing Beauty

You can do similar moves with dumbbells, Ilaria does some things like that in her workout Atletica (follow the link for a clip). Don't know if you do video workouts at home, but the clip shows some of the moves that are similar to the KB ones. Basically it's about moving through space with the weight, not simply lifting. Kind of a whole body exercise instead of working muscle groups in isolation.

HTH !!
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Kaydana
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_dela
I wish i could try kettlebells! but they don't have them in the gym at my college I need a gym membership...

Why pay for a gym membership when you could just buy a kettlebell? I've seen sets of three go for the same price as a one month gym membership, and you get to keep the kettlebells!
Kaydana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8
jacqueline101
Alluring Beauty

I've weight lift for a year now my question is how do you bulk up? I can't get the large muscles.
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #9
clem_dela
Untouched Beauty

delila- that sounds really cool! i like the idea of the full body workouts. but i don't do vid workouts at home, i don't have the space or the privacy :/

kaydana- like i said i don't have the space or privacy at home to work out lol. i'd love to have a gym membership for a time to get away and focus on maintaining my body. I love my me time

Jacqueline- From what I know, to bulk up you eat a lot of protein, and frequently. And lift heavier weights with fewer reps. but i haven't been lifting for very long yet lol
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Kaydana
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline101
I've weight lift for a year now my question is how do you bulk up? I can't get the large muscles.

You can't. Eating lots of protein and pushing yourself with heavier weights will only go so far, muscle size is limited by testosterone.
Kaydana is offline   Reply With Quote