Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
brave
Untouched Beauty

Default nail growth aids?

I've had luck with quite a few of these, from the Sally's Nail Growth Miracle to my late favorite, Barielle's Nail Rebuilding Protein. However, recently I wonder if maybe the Barielle's has been contributing to my nail peeling problem? Normally I am able to grow long, strong nails fairly easily but lately they've been peeling at the edges terribly. Could it be over-proteined?

Does anyone have any suggestions on good nail growth aids? What's worked best for you, in terms of maintaining and holding onto growth?
brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #2
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

The thing that works best for me is to just keep them painted, with a good base coat (CND Stickey). If my nails are bare when I shower, they become thin and bendy. If they are painted, after I shower they are just fine. And I have to file them down every week, so I know they are growing.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #3
brave
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgreen
The thing that works best for me is to just keep them painted, with a good base coat (CND Stickey). If my nails are bare when I shower, they become thin and bendy. If they are painted, after I shower they are just fine. And I have to file them down every week, so I know they are growing.

Thanks, I had been kind of wondering if that was where most of the growth was actually coming from. It seems like the instant I stop keeping my nails maintained they fall off.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Delila
Enticing Beauty

For me, a good routine of base coat, (ridge filler sometimes) color, nail hardener and non quick top coat really does help protect my nails. And yeah, I wear it all the time. If I don't have time for all those layers, at the very least I put on some base coat.

Filing with really high grit files seems to help with peeling issues, but my index fingers seem to take a lot of abuse, so they're always the first to bite the dust.

Moisture can be another issue.

There seems to be a good bit of carry over between what's good for my hair and what's good for my nails. In fact, it's possible that switching to gentler cleansing routines for my hair and lots more conditioner helped get my nails started being so much stronger. They used to be really thin, but now they're much stronger.

I do use cuticle cream fairly regularly, just on the theory that as the nail grows out, if it's been properly moisturized its whole life, it will be stronger than it would have without the pampering.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Stephanie
Aphrodite

In the past, I had the worst, crumbly, peeling nails thanks to my thyroid (Hashimoto's). They'd literally crumble up into the quick and it would be so painful I'd wear glue on nails to help hold them together. The peeling would start halfway up the nail bed. Nail hardeners and protein coats never seemed to make a difference. Or much of one, anyway.

Nail Magic Nail Hardener, found at Sally Beauty, stopped the crumbling and most of the peeling. It has amazing reviews online (Makeup Alley, Drugstore.com, Amazon, etc.). It also gives your nails a gel like finish. I wear it on my brittle toenails, too, and am constantly asked if it's gel. I wish I could get paid for each time I've raved about this polish. lol

Since Nail Magic didn't completely stop the peeling (I've used it for about nine months now and for most people, it's the solution to their problems), just last week, I started using Mavala Scientifique Nail Hardener in addition to the Nail Magic. The Mavala is just a liquid solution that you moisten the nail with and it penetrates, allowing you to then rub treatment oil in or polish as you please. It leaves no residue and you only use it twice a week to start, tapering off to once a week once to maintain your hard nails. I use the Nail Magic on top of it and in one week, my nails are significantly harder, but oddly, not brittle. Also, I have nails that flatten at the tips, and sometimes in strange angles, but as I look right now, they're all nicely rounded again. As if it tightens them up into the shape they're supposed to be. I'm really pretty thrilled with this product, though I still don't know how it will affect me long term. I had to order it off of Amazon since I couldn't find it locally.

I'm totally with Delila on the moisture issue. I use emu oil, but another favorite for moisture and penetration is MCT oil (derived from VCO). If you're looking for a good cream, Orly makes a phenomenal Cuticle Therapy Cream.

Also, worth mentioning, is that since I started using copper peptides on my skin, I've been rubbing the extra into my cuticles (before applying oil or cream) to help with rebuilding/regrowth. I've noticed a difference in that my nails no longer have ridges to buff out (or live with when my nails were just too thin). I use Skin Biology's Super GHK Serum. It's spendy, though, and I'm not sure I'd buy it *just* for my nails.

And I'm a huge fan of glass nail files. I get less peeling using one.

HTH!

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #6
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

There was by nailine i think that i adored but ihavent seen it in years i think it was discontinued . Since then i find keeping them polished to protect from water damage and lotion/oil massage works as well. Bring circulation cant be a bad thing right?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Indigo Girl
Natural Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie
Nail Magic Nail Hardener, found at Sally Beauty, stopped the crumbling and most of the peeling. It has amazing reviews online (Makeup Alley, Drugstore.com, Amazon, etc.). It also gives your nails a gel like finish. I wear it on my brittle toenails, too, and am constantly asked if it's gel. I wish I could get paid for each time I've raved about this polish. lol

Since Nail Magic didn't completely stop the peeling (I've used it for about nine months now and for most people, it's the solution to their problems), just last week, I started using Mavala Scientifique Nail Hardener in addition to the Nail Magic. The Mavala is just a liquid solution that you moisten the nail with and it penetrates, allowing you to then rub treatment oil in or polish as you please. It leaves no residue and you only use it twice a week to start, tapering off to once a week once to maintain your hard nails. I use the Nail Magic on top of it and in one week, my nails are significantly harder, but oddly, not brittle. Also, I have nails that flatten at the tips, and sometimes in strange angles, but as I look right now, they're all nicely rounded again.

Oh this is great! I have always had very brittle nails, and nothing has ever seemed to work. I will give these a try. I think I'll start taking Biotin too since I've read that helps as well. Between the three of these I'm hoping for some better results.
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #8
brave
Untouched Beauty

I definitely think cuticle cream and the massaging action makes a huge difference. My cuticles are terrifying if just left to themselves. I will have to look into that sally's one too!
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #9
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

Oil.

I use Jojoba on my hands nightly. I fragrance with whatever EO I feel like. It has made all the ridges in my nails go away, they don't peel anymore either. I am sure any PENETRATING moisturizer will do the same. And since it absorbs into my hands readily, no greasy afterwards (I use in on my whole hands and massage it into my nails/cuticle).

I am interested to see the stuff Stephanie talked about. Hmm.
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #10
jacqueline101
Alluring Beauty

Biotin pills help mine.