Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:53 AM   #51
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

Spookyghost - LOL!! I'm not an expert at all but I enjoy concocting things for skin and hair.

Have you ever used plain oils on your face to moisturise? They're a good place to start. People in this thread have suggested things like sweet almond oil or apricot kernel oil. They're good general skincare oils and don't often cause sensitivity.

The internet has lots of information about natural skincare. I haven't tried making creams myself, although I did once make a cold cream (which is used for cleansing and/or moisturising) using oils, beeswax, rosewater and borax - mine turned out very thick and rich, but it can be made thinner. If you search online for homemade cold cream recipes, you should be able to find one. It's a good basic cream, and you can stir essential oils into it once it's cooled for additional skin benefits.

My super-duper oil blend seems to be working quite nicely, but then, with all the things I had put in it, it darn well ought to LOL.

I enjoyed the papaya mask yesterday! I removed the seeds, pureed it up with a stick blender and stirred in a dollop of honey. I probably should have strained it to get out the bits, but didn't bother. I dampened my hair, put handfuls of it onto my hair and scalp, wrapped it up in a plastic cap and put the rest on my face while I had a bath. I rinsed it out after about 30mins as well as I could, combed it carefully and applied lots of conditioner, let that sit for ages and combed it through again and rinsed really well. I THINK I got all the papaya bits out of my hair, but I'm not going anywhere this weekend so I don't care really

My hair felt very soft (even before the conditioner), with some slip.

I used papaya because it has enzymes that help remove dead skin cells. My skin (and scalp) have been a bit flaky lately. I think it helped

I actually found a thread on LHC that suggested the enzymes in papaya might break down the protein in hair ( ) so it might not be wise to do it on the hair too often. I didn't experience any immediate adverse effects though
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #52
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Aredhell77-I havent used plain oils to moisturize my face. I used them for OCM and my face really reacted well to that for about a week! Then I was getting some white heads and then the cystic acned. Which was too bad. The first week my face seemed to kinda glow and I felt like it was really going to work and then my face broke out. I gave it quite a while. Maybe 2-3 months so I didnt give up on it too fast. Although I didnt really experiment with different oils either. I used jojoba and jamaican xtra dark castor oil.

I have almond oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, emu oil, and grapeseed oil. Do you think that maybe I should try the almond oil first? And do I just put a little on my fingertips and massage in? Oh, I also have raw african she butter-the yellow kind that has all the good stuff in it.

Do you have any suggestions for swollen under eye bags?! Im sorry if I asked you this question before, I have such a terrible memory! Lol. Im pretty sure my only hope is cosmetic surgery, which I just may do, but have you heard of anything that helps? Nothing like tea bags or anything. My bags are past that! And when I wake up in the am my eyes are swollen on top of the eye bags. Yeah beautiful I know-haha. And the more sleep I get the more swollen my eyes are. I have researched and gone on you tube and they all suggest sleep. Well that doesnt help me at all. Oh and God forbid Im upset and cry a little-my eyes are so swollen when I wake up the next day that I look almost like a monster! I understand that Im 45 and Im going to age but I love looking younger than I am but these dang bags are going to be the end of me-lol!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #53
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

It's probably a good idea to try the almond oil first if your skin's a bit more mature. You can always melt/soften a little bit of shea butter between your fingers and apply that on top if you feel you need something richer.

With oils, I put them in a pump bottle, use about 3 pumps (that's probably approx. a teaspoon), and massage it all over my clean face and neck, including the eye area, until it's more or less absorbed. Often I spritz my face first with my homemade toner to aid moisturisation before rubbing in the oil (my toner is just rosewater, a bit of witch hazel and a bit of aloe gel mixed together in a spray bottle). See how you go.

I'm sorry, I don't have any tips for under-eye bags as I don't really get these. I get slight dark circles but nothing too bad. Hopefully someone else can advise!
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote