Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Default Natural, organic, or homemade skin regimens

Well I feel pretty stupid because I posted in a thread about how much I love Meaninful Beauty and now Im exploring a more natural or organic facial regimen with less chemicals.

I really do love Meaningful Beauty. I can actually say that it does what it claims its going to do. For me anyway. But for some reason today I decided to google if there were any harmful ingredients in MB. Well there are. Im not exactly sure how harmful but there are chemicals and its making me wonder if how good this stuff works for me is really only going to be temporary and be more harmful in the long run.

Now Im trying to figure out what to use, or make, that will not only be healthy for my skin but work! I not only want soft, smoothe, and moisturized skin but I also want improvement in firmness, even coloration, while keeping those peskie wrinkles at bay.

Does anyone know of a product like this I can purchase? Or there is no such product that does all that and I will have to make my own concoction. But even if I do that it wouldnt have good chemical in it-collagin, etc.
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Hmm, I don't know if you'll be able to find something that keeps wrinkles at bay, but OCM works really well for me for cleansing my face (and takes makeup off). I know there's a thread on here about OCM. If you find that OCM is not for you, depending on your skin type, washing your face with non SLS soap (yes, even some bar soap have SLS in them) and then using witch hazel toner may be the route to go. I've got normal skin type and on the nights I don't want to bother with OCM or commercial face wash I just wash it with my bar soap and that apply witch hazel toner on my face and I'm to bed. Others may chime in about something that could keep wrinkles at bay.
Growing till BSL (for now)
biogirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Also, collagen is one of the protein your body just makes naturally, you can aid the process by getting enough vitamin C daily as it supports collagen production. It's not just citrus fruits that contain vitamin C as plenty of veggies have it too (in lesser amounts but still), so there's really no need to go the vitamin route just for vitamin C. If you do want to go the vitamin route to boost your vitamin C intake, you're better off going the multivitamin route.

Last edited by biogirl87 : October 9th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

If you like chemical exfoliants im a big fan of reviva 5% glycolic cream. I have very reactive skin and im on my second tub with no issues and much less acne.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

I use a home made mix of manuka honey, jojoba oil, apple cider vinegar + some other oils like argan oil and vitamin E oil to cleanse my skin every morning and night. I just shake the mixture up and massage a little bit on my dry face. When it starts to feel sticky I add a little water and massage some more. Then I rinse it off with water. This takes off any makeup there is aswell.
As moisturiser I used to use just jojoba oil but I felt it wasn't quite moisturising enough so nowadays I'm using half aloe vera gel (the pure stuff) and half non scented very moisturising moisturiser. If your skin is not the dry kind you might be able to do with no moisturiser at all (because there will be some oil left on the skin) or just use aloe vera gel like I used to at some point aswell.

I've noticed a massive improvement on my skin after starting this regime as I no longer have any cyctic acne bumps or many pimples anyway. The harsh detergents really aren't for my sensitive skin.
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #6
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

biogirl-Im going to check out the ocm thread. It took me a while to realize what ocm stood for! I belong to LHC and here so I should have known right away! HaHa.

Natalia-Thanks for mentioning the 5%glycolic cream. I looked this up and it does sound very promising. The ingredients are purified water, 5% acidic polymer(extracts of sugar and rhubarb), extracts of pumpkin, peach, sage, comfrey, chamomile, witch hazel, vitamins a, d, e and safflower oil and sunflower oil. That sounds pretty good huh? Im probably going to try this one! I dont know if they are all the same but I looked up one from reviva labs.

Ocelan-yours sounds good too! This is pretty much what I want to do but somehow add something that is anti-aging, repairs skin, helps prevent future damage, and there is something that helps with collagen. I cant remember what. Ive read that putting products on your face that contain collagen wont help because it will just lay on your face and not be absorbed. But there is something that can help repair, improve, or increase what collagen you have. I have to do more research because I cant remember exactly what the theory is on that one!

Now I know you might be thinking-Yeah right! But there are some chemicals that are good. Boy I wish I was a chemist or had a higher IQ! Heck if I was a chemist I would make my own product line that did all this and make bank!!

Last edited by spookyghost : October 10th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #7
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Spookyghost, you totally should check out the OCM thread. Having received my undergrad degree in biology, I don't think there's really anything except eating healthy and making sure your body gets enough of the vitamins it needs that can help with collagen. Feel free to correct me though if you find info that contradicts my views on this. I admit I don't have all the answers on this topic even with all of my knowledge and so I may not be 100% right on this.
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyghost
Natalia-Thanks for mentioning the 5%glycolic cream. I looked this up and it does sound very promising. The ingredients are purified water, 5% acidic polymer(extracts of sugar and rhubarb), extracts of pumpkin, peach, sage, comfrey, chamomile, witch hazel, vitamins a, d, e and safflower oil and sunflower oil. That sounds pretty good huh? Im probably going to try this one! I dont know if they are all the same but I looked up one from reviva labs.

Welcome i like it alot i feel better when i dont have the time to put on makeup than before. My skin is softer and more glowy not perfect but i dont cringe if someone see's me without my face on. Also if you dont like scented things dont worry its very light and pretty unisex.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

I just read about argan oil being one of those "anti aging" oils. It has a lot of antioxidants and vitamin E on top of its anti aging properties and it may fade scars or hyperpigmentation. I'm thinking of getting a bigger bottle of that too once I go jojoba oil shopping since my face seems to not dislike it.
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #10
vivalagina
Untouched Beauty

Jojoba oil and sweet almond oil have done great things for my skin. I use 2-3 drops jojoba oil as a serum before I put on my moisturizer (I have dry skin, especially in the fall/winter) and in the evening I use sweet almond oil mixed with castor oil in my ocm mix. I get very few pimples and my skin is soft with an even skin tone. Going natural (honey, acv, oils, etc) combined with plenty of water and a balanced diet have done wonders for my fickle, stressed skin.