Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 5th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #1
browneyedsusan
natural beauty

Default gentle workouts for those in their 40's and 50's?

Any of you older girls do anything to keep yourselves agile and fit? I've fallen off the wagon and need some motivation to get back on. I walk daily, but don't feel as limber and strong as I'd like.

I'd really like something I could stream on the computer. (I live in the country, and going in to town to the gym isn't going to happen.)
browneyedsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I'm a Callanetics fan, but I do prefer the older, Callan-led workouts on dvd to the newer stuff.

Online? I've heard good things about Ballet Beautiful, they've got stuff on dvd, but also online. http://www.balletbeautiful.com/bb-store

The only one of their workouts I've tried (the Classic workout, just re-released on dvd) was way too fast for me.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

I'm a bit younger (!) but was also going to recommend Callanetics. It's toning exercises that really do work once they start to kick in. Not at all fast and furious, but by heck your muscles will feel it. In a good way . You can probably find some Callanetics workouts online if you Google it.
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Delila
Enticing Beauty

Another thought entirely is to go outside your comfort zone.

Left to my own devices, I'd probably never do anything but barre type workouts, but I've found that I like lifting weights, and enjoy kettlebell workouts.

Two favorites:

Jari Love's original Get Ripped (there's a whole series)

and Art of Strength: Providence
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

I do chair yoga and aqua aerobics. I've only found one chair yoga dvd. I've never thought to look for anything on line. Duh@moi! Both my classes involve going somewhere to take a class. I live in the country too and don't mind any excuse to get in the car and go somewhere.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
JamieLeigh
Radiant Beauty

I enjoy the Turbo Jam workouts! They're a mix of martial arts, dance and aerobics and target pretty much every muscle group in your body. Every video I've watched so far has featured a couple of the dancers (actors? exercisers? demonstrators? lol) who don't ever let their feet leave the ground, don't lift as heavy weights or lean over as far as the rest of the group. I imagine if you followed those ladies, you'd be all right to use this system.
JamieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #7
embee
Natural Beauty

Since my rebounder died I do stretching and bending while my coffee makes in the mornings. Good way to get things loosened up for the day. I also like walking.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #8
browneyedsusan
natural beauty

Default thanks!

Thanks all for the encouragement. I did manage 15 whopping minutes of strength and stretching yesterday, and feel the slightest protest in my core and back today. (How sad is that? Just 15 minutes and I'm feeling it?)

I will try to keep after it every other day, and posted in the "weight loss/fitness thread" hoping for some accountability. Feel free to pester me. I really hate the strength/flexibility part. It's hard and boring.
browneyedsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
violet
Raw Beauty

I like to use my kettlebell, it is only five pounds and I bought it at Walmart for about $12.00. They do come in heavier options, but I beleive in starting easy and slow. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitne...lebell-workout
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #10
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

This work out is challenging but there is a modified version for beginners. Go on www.bodyrocktv.com and your body will change. Dont let the absolutely fit girl discourage you from doing her work outs. They are awesome and you can always build your way up to doing the workouts full force.

ETA-I just clicked on the website I just gave and it doesnt take you to their actual website. So I went on google and just typed in body rock and before I even finished typin rock it took me right to it. Its called bodyrocktv so I dont know why it didnt take me straight there...hmm.

Last edited by spookyghost : October 19th, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote