Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 10th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #51
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenBritannia
The shortbread cookies are awesome, but slightly more fragile than when made with the wheat. Since I prefer this kind frozen anyways, thats no issue! Nothing better than popping a frozen whipped shortbread cookie in your mouth and letting it melt....yum.

SHORTBREADCOOKIES!!! Oh please oh pleeaaaseeeee shaareeeeee this recipe!
[/SIZE]
AineMuirne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #52
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

2 cups butter
1 cup icing sugar
.5 cup cornstarch
3 cups flour (I used 2.5 cups celimix bread mix and .5 cup sorghum flour)

Whip in a blender and drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet (or use cookie press!) bake 350F for 10-15 mins.

I am not sure how substituting other things would go- in theory you should be able to use vegetable shortening instead of the butter, or a combination with margarine, and possibly tapioca starch instead of the cornstarch. The icing sugar is essential (thats powdered sugar in case it is called something else elsewhere- the stuff for making frosting).

Then I bake them, let them cool and stick them in the freezer. Oh, and eat all the crumbly bits. HA!

The cookies will be very white, but should be slightly brown on the edges when done, and not smushy to the touch.
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #53
Tabitha
Natural Beauty

I don't really bother with substitutes. M&S do "Free from Wheat" cakes, the lemon one is OK but a bit dry & bland. There was a yummy cherry chocolate one but the swines discontinued it.

You can make wonderful mini quiches by using silicone large muffin moulds (John Lewis, or Lakeland sell them) just don't bother with pastry at all, pour your quiche mixture straight in. If you want a bit of crunch you can add a thin base of crushed nuts bound with a bit of butter at the bottom of the moulds.
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #54
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

I only substitute out vegetable oils or vegetable oil-based things or other processed/GM ingredients. I replace vegetable oils/margarine with butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. I only use whole ingredients, and vegetable oil is DEFINITELY not one (I ask myself this question- 'Can I home make x without a factory and solvents/chemicals?' And if the answer is not an easy 'Yes,' I won't eat it). I have arrow root powder and I've yet to try it as a corn starch replacement, but I intend to! My boyfriend makes homemade deodorant with it so we have quite a bit on hand. :P

Mmmmmm mini quiche sounds awesome, too.

I make an awesome gluten-free cheesecake:

Almond crust recipe:
- 1 1/2 cup ground almonds (or almond flour - they are the same thing)... I usually buy sliced/slivered raw almonds and grind them myself in the blender.
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp honey or organic sugar (I use honey)

Mix the crust ingredients together. Grease the bottom and sides of the springform pan with butter or coconut oil. Press the almond crust mixture into the bottom of the springform pan in an even layer. Bake at 320 degrees F for about 20 minutes. The crust will be golden brown and slightly pulling away from the sides. You'll want to cool it off before putting the cheesecake in, so I usually stash it in the fridge while I make the cheesecake mixture.

For the cheesecake mixture, I follow this recipe, except I use rice flour instead of all-purpose flour. And obviously I use the almond crust, not graham crackers.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chantal...rk-cheesecake/
[/SIZE]
AineMuirne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #55
afu
Sparkling Beauty

I've never heard of eating frozen cookies!! I'll have to try that sometime
afu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #56
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by afu

It only works with cookies that have lots of butter in them, but yes, you need to try it!
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #57
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by afu

My aunts and one uncle refuse to eat room temp cookies of they arent hot out of the oven they must be frozen.

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #58
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

I'm sorry for not bothering to read the whole thread but I just wanted to share a gluten free bread recipe I created in my blog for my mom who has the celiac disease.

I rarely have to make savoury things that are gluten free but this is one that I felt was quite successful. I usually just make gluten free cakes for special days and for those it just works to replace the normal flour in the cake with 3/4 of the amount in gluten free flour.
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #59
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Made pakoras tonight that came out incredible! Wanted to pass it along - http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=742644 - i used more and different veggies but the important part the flour and spice stayed the same. I like celery, potatos, carrot, zucchini, onion, cauliflower, and green beans in mine.

Oh and the masala blend i ued included bay leaves.

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote