Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Oh i love enabling pampering activities! Glad to have some people joining me in my pedi-venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgreen
I'm due next week, when I have my salon day in town for roots and brows. My color stays on for SIX weeks with no chipping. I use Stickey base coat and Out The Door top coat/fast dry. It beats SEche Vite hands down. The drying time is 45 seconds and the bottle of product doesn't go thick and gooey halfway to where you have to buy Seche Vite thinner to be able to use it.

Oh six weeks that nice! My grow out starts showing after 3 so im pretty happy with 4 weeks but man if i could get a manicure to last that long..... The stickey is on my to buy list sine ive heard so many good things. Darn stuff is always sold out locally and i refuse to pay shipping on polish lol. My fav top coat has been discontinued so i'll look into that out the door thanks
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM   #12
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia
Oh i love enabling pampering activities! Glad to have some people joining me in my pedi-venture

Oh six weeks that nice! My grow out starts showing after 3 so im pretty happy with 4 weeks but man if i could get a manicure to last that long..... The stickey is on my to buy list sine ive heard so many good things. Darn stuff is always sold out locally and i refuse to pay shipping on polish lol. My fav top coat has been discontinued so i'll look into that out the door thanks

I get both of mine at Sally's. I hate paying shipping too. We used to have OPI (and other nail products) group orders here. One of our members that lives in Cali used to get our stuff for us at pretty decent prices, even with the shipping. That would be nice to do again. I'll check with her and see if she's finished school yet and maybe she'll do another GO for us!
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:36 PM   #13
owlathena
Sparkling Beauty

Ooh I am! I'm good about keeping my toes painted but its been ages since my last good soak and scrub. I find that polish lasts forEVER on my toes. I hate spending so long bending down though. Next paycheck I'll go in and get it done.
owlathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:28 PM   #14
JamieLeigh
Radiant Beauty

I'm a flip-flop lover (and living in Alabama on the river means I can wear them way into October ) and my boys are playing football in the 6-8 year old division. The school colours are purple and gold, so I've very recently re-done my toes in L.A. Colours amethyst, with a sparkly clearish gold topcoat that doesn't have a brand label on it anymore (but it's tiny so I suspect it might either belong to one of my girls or be a Bon Belle). ♥
JamieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

Oh, thanks for the nailpolish restoring tip! (I went to the blog, bt I also came back!) I must admit I had never even heard of nail polish thinner or restorer, but now I must go see if they have any around here. Maybe in the bigger shopping mall cosmetics departments. All I've done so far has been adding a few drops of nailpolish remover or mixing the very viscous polish with a more runny one (sometimes creating not so deliscious shades of polish...), but maybe soon my polishes will come back alive.
Ocelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM   #16
justgreen

Ocelan thank you for coming back! *I was on Scrangie's site for quite a while and had to wean myself from it!*
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Delila
Enticing Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelan
Oh, thanks for the nailpolish restoring tip! (I went to the blog, bt I also came back!) I must admit I had never even heard of nail polish thinner or restorer, but now I must go see if they have any around here. Maybe in the bigger shopping mall cosmetics departments. All I've done so far has been adding a few drops of nailpolish remover or mixing the very viscous polish with a more runny one (sometimes creating not so deliscious shades of polish...), but maybe soon my polishes will come back alive.

Ack!! No! No!! Don't add nail polish remover to a bottle of polish!!!

Remover is designed to destroy polish, not thin it out.

Sorry to be so preachy, but I really hate the way that misinformation spreads around. (Milani used to have it on their bottles of polish, you'd think a polish company would know better, but I guess not. They seem to have only recently made the change. Sheesh.)

But on to the subject of finding actual thinner in stores IRL, the only places I've seen it have been actual beauty supply stores, or places like Trade Secret. (Not sure if Ulta carries it. ETA: It does, I saw Seche Restore there today) Sally's Beauty Supply stores are fairly common, and they do carry Beauty Secrets and Orly brand thinners.

I got a bottle of Seche Restore (the one Scrangie mentions for reviving dead polish, it's the one with toluene in it, the ingredient needed for this purpose.) at Trade Secret years ago, but haven't seen it IRL since then. Other nail polish thinners don't have toluene, so they don't work as well for reviving dead polish. (The issue really is that in recent years most companies have gone what they call 'big 3 free', which means they don't have some of the solvents that they used to use, and toluene is one of them. I'm not sure I understand the need for such a switch for every product out there, but apparently it's the modern trend. I do tend to get a bit exasperated when people ramble on about the evil of chemicals, without any working knowledge of science, but I guess that's a rant for another day, LOL!)

I've made a habit of shopping for polish online because it's pretty much the only way to get the colors/brands I want with any hope of dependability. The way I see it, the prices are so much lower that it offsets the cost of shipping, though I guess you do have to be careful where you shop.

Last edited by Delila : October 2nd, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #18
justgreen

There are quite a few sellers on eBay that offer free shipping on their polishes. I recently bought seven bottles that way. Makes it much easier. I think the most expensive bottle was around $8 and it was OPI. China Glaze and other brands were much cheaper. This way I get what I want because in this town? Not happening much!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:14 PM   #19
owlathena
Sparkling Beauty

Last night as we were getting ready for bed DBF says, "You should go get your nails done, I know its been awhile and it makes you happy." I told him I can't afford it right now and would do it for my birthday next month and he said "You don't have to wait that long, its on me! Lets go together! I'll get a pedicure and you can get both."

How the heck did I get so lucky to find this guy? He's the best!

I am wondering if he just wants an excuse to get a pedi, I don't think hes ever had one. But I'll take him up on the offer nonetheless!
owlathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #20
justgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlathena
Last night as we were getting ready for bed DBF says, "You should go get your nails done, I know its been awhile and it makes you happy." I told him I can't afford it right now and would do it for my birthday next month and he said "You don't have to wait that long, its on me! Lets go together! I'll get a pedicure and you can get both."

How the heck did I get so lucky to find this guy? He's the best!

I am wondering if he just wants an excuse to get a pedi, I don't think hes ever had one. But I'll take him up on the offer nonetheless!

Oh gosh never turn down anything fabulous like that! Lucky you!