Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #1
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Default Athletic shoes

What do you like / dislike in athletic shoes?

Where do you buy them?

What brands do you like?

I like athletic shoes that give me support, don't weigh a lot, and don't make my feet look bigger than they already are (I wear a 9.5 or 10). I also hate grimy looking shoes, so any light coloured shoe is out of the running (pardon the bad pun).

I've always bought my shoes at brick & mortar stores, but today I ordered a pair of running shoes from Zappos. I usually don't have trouble getting runners to fit, and they have free return shipping, so if they don't fit, I haven't lost any money.

I'm not brand loyal, but a gentleman I used to work for wouldn't wear anything but Saucony running shoes (he is in his 60's and runs marathons). My current pair is from Nike. I'm not terribly fond of the company, but the shoes were cheap and they were the only ones I could find that day that wasn't white or some really horrible colour. They're past their prime now, so it is time to get new shoes.
kimberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Raederle
Luxe Beauty

I have to wear white shoes for work. Initially, I was pretty loyal to NewBalance. But it pissed me off how each year they would remodel the shoe, and I couldn't find the one I liked so much next time I went in. A pair lasts me about 6 months, even with switching between 2 pair. Think grocery clerk doing the bagging, with adventures stocking and hoisting 25 pounds regularly, and you get the idea, though I'm not a grocery checker.

At some point, I developed plantar fascilitis, and my doctor recommended Spenco inserts. This was a great day for my poor feet. It made a difference the first day I wore them.

So I shop usually at Big 5, and zone in on whatever's on closeout sale. Just the past two weeks, I got 5 pair for 19.99 each that were priced 84.99 and 64.99 respectively. But, of course, they are the old style. I finally realized a few years ago to check out the discontinued shoes for great buys.

I usually alternate 2 pair for work, one pair for taking my exercise walk, and use the retired work pairs for everyday use on my days off. And I always make sure to use the inserts. They make even cheap Payless 5.99 shoes wearable, and are a great investment for me. So now I'm in the happy condition of having the work shoes I'll need for the holiday season at the end of the year already resting comfortably in my closet.

I like Avia these days, and Spaulding. Part of the reason I like these is that the inside of those brands holds up so well. My Reboks shred so much faster, though I like the feel of them, and the outside holds up pretty well.
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Well, the Saucony shoes are wonderful, but won't accommodate my orthotics. Without them, I have knee and shin problems, so I'm exchanging them for a pair of New Balance trail/road shoes. They specifically say they'll accommodate orthotics, so I should be in good shape there.
kimberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #4
curls2grow
Enticing Beauty

For walking (treadmill or 5K's) I prefer New Balance walking shoes. Some of them are ugly but there is one style that I don't mind -- it tends to be the "breast cancer" model they update almost every year. NB has been the only brand that doesn't ever aggravate my achilles tendon or give me shin splints. That being said, I bought a new pair last summer and got a *terrible* blister. Changed size/model and all was good after the month or so it took to completely heal the blister.

Once I know my size, I buy from RoadRunner Sports a lot. Sometimes I will order 2 sizes and send one back. I find that online, they are cheaper than in stores.
curls2grow is offline   Reply With Quote