Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1
LadyHeather
Sparkling Beauty

Undecided Pedicures at home

Hey, Lovi here from LHC.

I was browsing the drugstore today trying to find toenail scissors or clippers and a foot file. I love to paint my toenails but I hate my feet. The skin gets so dry and looks fugly. So, I'm seeing stone foot files, pumice stones, diamond foot files, wooden foot files, nail scissors, clippers, barrel pliers...

what the heck do I choose?

Now I know some LHCer (Justy?) has a Pedi Egg. I looked at those. LIke egg shape cheese graters for the feet! They look terrifying. Are they good? Do they hurt? They arent like what I'd call a normal file. Not like a rasp on a stick. It's like, well, a grater.

I've started to use coconut oil on my feet at night in prep for summer (already) and sometimes if I'm not at the BFs flat I'll use my Burts Bees coconut foot creme. I love this stuff, but at BF's I use plain oil. I sometimes add a bit of Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream (just for my heels).

So can someone give me a lowdown on what it would be best to use? Rasp file, stone, pedi egg? Clippers, scissors or pliers? My toenails can only be cut after a nice long shower, as they're very hard and brittle, and although they're not ingrowing per se, they're hard to cut as they curl under rather than lying nice and flat like the nails on the Trampy Toes pics.

Thanks all.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #2
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

My pedicure essentials:

Corn/callus plane (use a new blade every time, and don't use it more than every 6 weeks)
Foot file
Clippers
Cuticle nippers
Files

I've used a PedEgg, and hated it. On the balls of my feet, the skin lifts, so the PedEgg just makes it worse. Rasp files just shred my feet.

Pumice stones disintegrate when I use them. My favourite are the cheap plastic foot files with the sandpapery stuff on them.
kimberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #3
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

I have the grater-type, too, and they work best for me.

Here's a link to how to do a killer pedicure (link to procedure towards bottom of page, but the whole page is good reading) and I have done this pedicure on myself and on my husband and it works WONDERS! Hubs won't allow me to do the plastic baggies on his feet, but even without it, it does okay. It does a lot MORE when you DO use the baggies overnight, though.

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
LisaJaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
funnybunny668
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlily
My favourite are the cheap plastic foot files with the sandpapery stuff on them.

Mine too! Those foot-shaped files with sandpaper on either side.
I have Avon's version of the ped-egg, but never quite got the hang of using it, so I went back to the faithful old foot file.
funnybunny668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
curls2grow
Enticing Beauty

I use a MicroPlane Orb foot file. Honestly, reminds me of a cheese grater for foot skin. But it works for me.

Then there's lotion. As long as I apply lotion of some sort regularly it seems to help.

I hate painting my toenails. Hard for me to see, hard to maneuver, etc. I am uncoordinated. I am using a Barielle product with Protein in it to help with the ridges in my nails. It's expensive and I am not sure it's worth it yet, since I can't remember to apply this stuff when I'm supposed to.
curls2grow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

For my feet, sandpaper type files are useless. The Ped Egg is a wonder. I use my Ped Egg, then slather my feet in unrefined shea butter, then put on cotton footy socks, then thick, knitted slipper socks. Happy, happy feet. I don't do the plastic wrap or bag thing, tho. The one time I did, my feet slid around in them so much that I fell down.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermie Girl
For my feet, sandpaper type files are useless. The Ped Egg is a wonder. I use my Ped Egg, then slather my feet in unrefined shea butter, then put on cotton footy socks, then thick, knitted slipper socks. Happy, happy feet. I don't do the plastic wrap or bag thing, tho. The one time I did, my feet slid around in them so much that I fell down.
That happened to me too. Now when I want to do the plastic bag method, I wait until I am ready to go to bed and sit on the edge of the bed and put to goo and baggies on my feet. I just stay there. I'm such a klutz.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Foufie
Untouched Beauty

Thanks for that website. Awesome info and I can't wait to do a pedi tomorrow. I have until tomorrow to get the things I need.
Foufie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #9
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

I was just looking for this pedicure procedure on my computer and couldn't find it (I had saved it as a document, at one point) and so I thank you for bumping the thread, making it easy for me to find this wonderful pedicure again!

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #10
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Updating: at this month's BUNKO party, I've talked the girls into all bringing a dishpan of some sort and a clean pair of cotton socks and I'll provide the little "cheese grater" thingies to shave off calluses as well as the borax and shea butter and the sugar-scrub stuff. We're going to do pedicures. I'm excited about it! I've printed-off the perfect pedicure thing and that's what we'll follow...

[/CENTER]