Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #21
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

I went for my first run in a while today. Well, with the jogging stroller at least. It felt so good. I used to be able to do 2 miles without stopping, but I'm out of shape now, so there were multiple walk breaks... but I ran
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #22
morningstar
Alluring Beauty

I am running in the house. Well not really. I am waiting for this very cold weather to turn. I can stand 35 degrees but it is 19 lately. I don't run on ice well either. I can't wait though.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #23
Sam-I-Am
Untouched Beauty

Way to go kimberlily!

To be honest, I hate running. I really do. For me it's an uncomfortable, dry-mouthed, panting, hot, sweaty, torture session.

On the other hand, running is the one exercise I have found that consistently helps me lose weight when I need to. And right now I need to lose 10-15 more pounds to get back in my healthy weight range.

So right now I am running/walking one mile 4 days a week on a treadmill, along with some stretching and weight lifting afterwards. I can't see myself ever loving to run, but I do admire folks who do this for fun.

Question: I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong, but I don't know how to diagnose or correct it. When I run, my thighs and butt are not at all sore. It's my calves that feel sore immediately afterwards. From when I first started walking up until about 4 years ago I walked on my toes, so maybe my running is still affected by that? I don't know. Can anyone here offer some advice?
Sam-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #24
girlcat36
Natural Beauty

I have run 20 miles this week, and one more 5 miler will make my goal of 25 miles. I did a 7 miler on the treadmill at the gym Sunday--how incredibly boring is that? It was icy outside. I really have to push myself to get up and run, as I am still recovering from cancer treatment, but when I run, I feel like I was never sick.
I haven't discovered the 'fun' in running, and don't even consider myself a runner; instead I run out of 'fear' that my clothes won't fit me anymore. LOL.
Sam-I-Am, I don't have any advice for you, but I know someone will come along soon that may know.
I second the Coolrunning website---it has great training tips, check it out.
What is everyone wearing for running shoes?
[U][COLOR=#666699][URL="http://www.meez.com/girlcat36"][IMG]http://images.meez.com/user/4/3/3/6/7/0/4/4336704_bodyshot_175x233_1203191288389.gif[/IMG][/URL][/COLOR][/U]
girlcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Islandgrrl
Enticing Beauty

Sam-I-Am: If you're calves & feet are sore (arches, right?) you're probably focusing your weight on the forefoot insteand of the whole foot. I don't mean running flat-footed, but definitely a heel strike, followed by a weight shift forwards into your forefoot to push off for the next stride. If you've got a history of toe running, this is probably what's happening.

It's totally helpful if you have a running specialty store in your area that does gait analysis, to make a trip there and have them watch you run & make shoe recommendations based upon what they see. Seriously, this can make the difference between running in pain and running with joy.

girlcat36: Fear of fitting into your clothes is a great motivation for running! It certainly sometimes fuels me!!! Mostly though, I run because I love the way it makes me feel. I restrict myself to shorter distances these days (3-6 miles at a shot) because I mostly run on a treadmill at the gym (no kidding boring as hell). Running on pavement screws with my right knee (3 surgeries, but who's counting?). I can't imagine running a half-marathon on a treadmill. Blech. So maybe one day you'll learn to love running and do it just because!

kimberlily: Don't look at it as "Oh, I had to stop and walk " Look at it as INTERVAL TRAINING! Run as long as you can, then stop for a short recovery period and run again. It's an awesome training method that will help both speed and endurance! Not only that, but it makes you feel a whole lot better about what you might consider a sucky workout!!! Find the positive!!!

morningstar, I hope it warms up for you soon! Running on ice! Shudder!!!

As for shoes, I'm wearing Nikes right now. Just ditched a pair of Brooks that were causing me to have achilles tendonitis and hip pain on the left side. My new shoes are super comfortable. I have a run planned for tomorrow morning, early, before the sun comes up. Just a 3 miler!

[SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue]Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' [B]don't[/B] say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=olive]"No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by Islandgrrl : February 28th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.
Islandgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #26
girlcat36
Natural Beauty

Thanks for some good advice, islandgrrl.
Went outside for my run today. BRRRRR---I think I am nuts. The wind chill was 19, and it started snowing.
I am wearing Saucony Progrid Paramount, my second run in them; they feel great. I have always been a fan of Saucony.
[U][COLOR=#666699][URL="http://www.meez.com/girlcat36"][IMG]http://images.meez.com/user/4/3/3/6/7/0/4/4336704_bodyshot_175x233_1203191288389.gif[/IMG][/URL][/COLOR][/U]
girlcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #27
freznow
Sparkling Beauty

Just went out for a very short run. I can't seem to do more than a mile. But I also ran the pacer in PE this morning.

I love running. Did track last year, don't really have time for it this year. I'll have to look into that Chirunning book. They don't seem to have it at any local library though. I'll suggest it.

As for the faster/farther thing that I believe has already been answered, I would think farther is the better thing first. I know it takes more to work at farther than it does to work at faster, but that's just it. Tiring yourself out sprinting does give an exhilerating adrenaline rush, but until you can go a decent distance I don't think there's much use sprinting...

My main problem is that I can't run on treadmills. I don't know if it's my shoes (I have some Aasics flats... not the best but okay) or what, but my legs ache/are in horrible pain not 3 minutes in. It's awful. So I never bother to run in winter, and then I'm out of shape in spring.

Other big problem is remembering to stay hydrated during the day. Sometimes I'm good at that, but when I don't run consistently I forget again. I blame winter again!
freznow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM   #28
Sam-I-Am
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgrrl
Sam-I-Am: If you're calves & feet are sore (arches, right?) you're probably focusing your weight on the forefoot insteand of the whole foot. I don't mean running flat-footed, but definitely a heel strike, followed by a weight shift forwards into your forefoot to push off for the next stride. If you've got a history of toe running, this is probably what's happening.

It's totally helpful if you have a running specialty store in your area that does gait analysis, to make a trip there and have them watch you run & make shoe recommendations based upon what they see. Seriously, this can make the difference between running in pain and running with joy.

Thanks for the tips, Islandgrrl! I don't have problems with my arches at all; it's just that I thought I wasn't running as efficiently as I could be. I will try and see if I can find a running store in town. That is a great suggestion; thanks!
Sam-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM   #29
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Oh, Islandgrrl, I wasn't looking at it that way at all! I enjoyed it, even with having to walk from time to time. I am just anxious to get back to where I was in the end of autumn I'm impatient

Sam-I-Am, I personally put too much weight on my heels, but your shoe can make a huge difference. I had to get orthotics last year because my knees started giving me trouble. My shoes weren't supportive enough, which caused problems with all my joints. Definitely go to a running store. It could be something as simple as adding an insert to your shoes.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM   #30
gilly
Natural Beauty

I would love to get into running but I look so awful when I run! I m a sweaty gasping mess within yards of my home so I have to use my treadmill which is sitting in the lounge raring to go if only I would switch it on!
I really don't know how to start running, I do walk outside everyday but there is no way I would run in public at the moment!
Does anyone know of a reasonable program that I could follow that I could use on my treadmil? It can go up to 16kph (I can't) and it does have inclines.
ANY advice would be great as I am thinking that running will at least curb my ever expanding waistline!!
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote