Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 5th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #11
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Enitsirk, I don't have an answer, but had to commiserate about the boyfriend and the advice. Back in college (I ran 3 - 5 miles a day) my boyfriend ran with me a few times, until it became dangerous for him to do so. One time (I was slow, just jogging), he told me "I could run at this pace for days and days on end!" I told him to go to....well, I suggested he move to a warmer climate. He quit running with me at that point. I think I was mean, maybe... :shrugs:
LisaJaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #12
Wind
Sparkling Beauty

I just started a walk/jog routine, so I'm wondering the same thing as Enit. I do walk a block, jog a block. I walk pretty quickly, not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #13
Stephanie
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

When I started, I started with the mindset that my body would tell me what was enough as long as I was honest with myself. I didn't time myself, but rather ran until I couldn't anymore, walked to catch my breath and once I caught up with myself, ran again. I did this in cycles, not worrying about my speed, until I realized that I was suddenly running double that which I started. After I was able to run some distance, I played around with my technique and tried to speed things up a bit. Right now, I'm alternating with walking, running and sprinting and am finding myself becoming faster overall and decreasing my walking time almost without conscious effort. Anyway, that's a thought for you to chew on. Maybe try intervals for speed?

FWIW, RunnersWorld.com is an AWESOME resource and has tons of information for you...

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #14
Hairstorm
Sparkling Beauty

Regarding walking, an interesting tidbit:
In the book Fitness Walking for Dummies, the author mentions something called the "gray zone". Basically if you walk so quickly, it would actually be easier to break into a run (but you hold yourself to walking), you burn more calories than if you run.
Hairstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #15
Wind
Sparkling Beauty

Whew, I just got back. I tried your suggestion, Steph, and it worked really well. It's a lot easier than going by block. I also concentrated slow jogging instead of walking. The biggest problem I have is wanting to run, and run, and run...and then wanting to colapse. I really have to work hard on paceing myself, espcially at the beggining. I'm browsing Runners World, and have already picked up some good tips on warming up. Thanks!

ETA: Here's some info on begining to run, and walking, that you might find helpful, Enit. The Run/Walk Plan The 30/30 Plan

Last edited by Wind : June 6th, 2006 at 11:49 AM.
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #16
Bonnie
Natural Beauty

Runnersworld.com forums are down right now I think the date to come back is the 14th.

I would say that if your pace is very slow, start with a time instead of a distance. The last run I went on was a 6 miler, during which I refused to stop to walk even for a nagging hip pain. I paid and now I am on a week's break :P The run-with-out-stops-no-matter-what can cause injury, and it's much smarter in the long run to take a break to enable going further, rather than spending yourself so much you have to quit. That limit of how hard you can push without being injured is best judged by yourself, although sometime we perceive and judge things wrong. Push, but not too hard. If you are injured, take the time off to heal it. It's far better to take a week (or weeks?) off and be able to resume running and keep it up in the years to come, than to push through an injury and eventually as the injuries build up have to quit running completely.

I think the basic rule is to only add 10 percent to your milage each week, so if you're running 10 miles you can add one mile, the next week 1.1, etc.

Happy running

Bonnie
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #17
wavebaby
Dazzling Beauty

What I found extremely helpful was last year I joined a running group locally (The Running Room) so I had lots of instruction and support (and company on rainy summer days when none of your friends want to run with you )
Coolrunning is great site too, I will have to investigate Chi too!

(I LOVE trail running, somehow the change in terrain & beautiful scenery are more inspiring than my neighborhood)

Last edited by wavebaby : June 12th, 2006 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
wavebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #18
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Back when I ran cross-country in highschool, and when I ran again later in college, I enjoyed woodsy trails the most. The scenery is MUCH better than pavement and sidewalk, but I think what I enjoyed the most of all was the air. You don't have to breathe car-exhaust. That's a plus ANY day!

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM   #19
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Went for my first run this morning. Should have gone a little earlier (when it was a little cooler), but it was okay. Took Maggie (my dog) with me. She did well, pooped out just before home. (tired-out, that is, not "made a poopie") I had to CARRY her a few times, when dogs came out to get her. One dog DID attack her a bit, growling and snarling. I yelled at the dog (the master was there to shop his dog) and picked her up and carried her. She weighs THIRTY POUNDS, so it taxed my strength.

I tried to use some Chi Running techniques, but I'm only on chapter four, so I don't know much. It seemed easier to run this way than power-running (like I did before) but it is still taxing. I do notice that I have more of a mid-foot strike, and that's good (I was worried about my left heel, plantar's fasciitis). I plan to go out again tomorrow morning, taking Queenie (my other dog, she only weighs 12 pounds, in case I have to carry her for a bit) and see how she does with the run.

We live in a small town, where each "block" is four square acres. I would run a block, walk a block, run a block, walk a block, etc. That worked well for me. I will just keep doing that until I can run two, walk one, and then build up from there. I have no idea how far I ran/walked. I fear it was only a mile or something. But it's farther than I ranwalked yesterday, so it's progress!

OH, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Saucony Grids! Hated to take them off at the end of the run, frankly.

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #20
DotDotDot
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enitsirk
But..the question: Is it better to go for more distance first, or more speed?
When I started running with boyfriend he basically just ran next to me and told me to not push myself too much, just be running/jogging even if I'm going slower than my normal walking speed (once again..funny how that still takes more work =p) and I never got to the point where I was trying to up one or the other. So. Which is easier/better to try to improve. Should I start running short distances, try to increase speed at those distances, and then go longer, or should I start just running and try to make my distance longer and longer.

OR should I not even think about distance and just try to run for a set amount of time?

And as another question...the boy always told me to just keep running and not to stop and walk. This made me hate running, because sometimes I just hurt so much/was so tired that I felt like I needed to walk for a bit. On the other hand, with his 'encouragement' I was able to force myself to keep going and did feel good about not stopping at the end of the run.

I run Cross Country. We had this list of goal-things that went like this which I hope answers your questions:

1. To run farther.
2. To run farther faster.
3. To run farther faster non-stop.
4. To run farther faster non-stop without slowing down.

HTH!
DotDotDot is offline   Reply With Quote