Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 25th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #1
Stephanie
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Default Running Tips

One of the most basic things that nobody ever told me when I started running a few months ago was, well, how to run. Literally, how to run.

So, as lame as this may sound, it took me a long time to figure out how to run and I still don't think I've gotten it completely down pat. I've never been even remotely athletic and have, in the past few months, begun running. I LOVE it, but am still experimenting with relying on different muscle groups to get me going. In fact, just a little while ago, I figured out that using my butt and thighs to run would actually propell myself forward with far less effort than running with my lower legs and toes (read: Bouncing Betty ). Anyway, if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.

If anyone's in the same boat or similar, my number one tip is such a "duh" tip that it's easy to overlook it. Get yourself some good running shoes. When I first started running, it was on pavement with cross trainers. The difference between my cross trainers and properly fitted running shoes was like day and night. Shin splints eased up, I found myself able to run everyday instead of every other day, and my distance increased by leaps and bounds (haha). Running shoes rock.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some thoughts or suggestions.
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #2
TwirlyTresses
Raw Beauty

Back when I was running steadily, I learned a lot from the discussion boards over at Cool Running. The "Basic Training" section has a lot of information about the mechanics of running--stride length, heel vs. forefoot striking, how to breathe, etc. I also liked The Complete Book of Running for Women, which covers a number of other useful topics.

Hope that's helpful--sorry I can't be of more direct help! I never was able to find a running gait that didn't eventually damage my knees.
TwirlyTresses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Wren
Untouched Beauty

I cannot reccommend the book ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer highly enough! His basic philosophy on running is to run from your center, allowing all of your energy to flow from your core. Aligning your body and relying on your core (abs, back) instead of your legs makes running almost effortless. With correct posture and a slightly forward lean, gravity pulls you along and your legs and arms become secondary. This eliminates virtually all possible leg injury. In the book, he goes way more in depth and includes many different excercises to help the runner become more aware of their body when running. Can't forget the proper breathing, too!

I'm only halfway into the book and my running has already improved tenfold. In one of the first chapters he says that you should feel better and more energized AFTER a run than before you set out....something I never thought possible but am now starting to experience.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Meezer
Natural Beauty

I'm very interested in beginning Cool Runnings' Couch to 5K program. I planned on starting it up back in January, but life got the best of me. I'm would like to add running to help with cadrio endurance for my tennis game. The last time I ran was in basic military training-- a loooooong time ago. Anyway, I'm very eager for tips/techniques too!
Meezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Stephanie
Aphrodite

I cannot express how happy I am you posted the link to Cool Runnings. Just by reading a little bit this morning, there are already things that I want to work on. Awesome! Thank you! I need to look around a little more and find that Couch to 5K program. My ultimate goal is to run 25 miles a week.

I actually already have Chi Running! One of the gyms here had a Chi Running clinic and I was sad that I had to miss it, but my friend has her DVD from it that we're going to watch sometime this week. Anyway, I haven't read it yet, but will definitely start tonight. Very cool.

Thanks you guys! This is great info!

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #6
LadyofShalott
Untouched Beauty

Yea for chirunning! I am trying to get back into running and it's made it much easier.

For my running tip: When you just don't feel like running, then don't, go for a walk instead or do a really enjoyable run, get a running buddy, take the dog. When I am in a slump I go running on a trail. It takes me a bit to drive there but I love it! There is just something about running in the woods (with pepper spray, cell phone, and hopefully a buddy) that just makes you fee like a "real runner".

Also, if there is something going on that day that you need extra confidence for I always try to run. It's weird because I never feel more beautiful than after a run. Though in fact of course I look awful, but my confidence and self-esteem rises.
LadyofShalott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Hairstorm
Sparkling Beauty

Although I don't run, my 6th grade DS does, and he likes Carl Lewis' site, carllewis.com. Note, the site has sound.

I checked out that ChiRunning book for him; thanks!
Hairstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #8
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

I now feel compelled to get that Chi Running book. Our local library does not have it; I believe I will check Barnes-Noble today and if THEY don't have it, I'll go Amazon.com (I need to get two copies of "Mountains Beyond Mountains" for the twinners for college, so Amazon may have to win this little contest; free shipping if I order all three from them!)

That book does sound wonderful, though. I lost a lot of weight and looked dang good in college when I ran. I'd sure like to do SOMETHING with this old bod; running may just be the thing!
LisaJaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Wind
Sparkling Beauty

I'm wondering how fast you have to be going to be running, and not jogging? I considered what I do jogging, but after seeing some other people, I'm thinking I might actually be running. I'm currently running/jogging on pavement, wearing crosstrainers.
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #10
enitsirk
Captivating Beauty

I have a question when it comes to beginning runners.

First of all, I currently don't run...or really exercise (not on purpose- I go on walks and bike rides to relax/have fun though )
I used to do track in middle school (oh about 8 years ago) and when I first moved in with my boyfriend I went running with him a few times (enough to get myself up to where I ran a mile. And was very very tired at the end of it, though felt good and energized too. That's such a weird feeling)

But..the question: Is it better to go for more distance first, or more speed?
When I started running with boyfriend he basically just ran next to me and told me to not push myself too much, just be running/jogging even if I'm going slower than my normal walking speed (once again..funny how that still takes more work =p) and I never got to the point where I was trying to up one or the other. So. Which is easier/better to try to improve. Should I start running short distances, try to increase speed at those distances, and then go longer, or should I start just running and try to make my distance longer and longer.

OR should I not even think about distance and just try to run for a set amount of time?

And as another question...the boy always told me to just keep running and not to stop and walk. This made me hate running, because sometimes I just hurt so much/was so tired that I felt like I needed to walk for a bit. On the other hand, with his 'encouragement' I was able to force myself to keep going and did feel good about not stopping at the end of the run.

...maybe I should just get myself a good mountain or road bike and bike for exercise. Biking is fun
enitsirk is offline   Reply With Quote