Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #1
UrbanEast
Untouched Beauty

Default Most flattering way to put hair up?

I'd like to wear my hair up more often, but the only style that I'm able to do, the cinnamon bun, is not very flattering to my face. The "mean lady tight bun" look just doesn't work on me. Is there an updo that doesn't look as severe--i.e. that tends to be looser around the face?

Thanks!
UrbanEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #2
OhioLisa
Captivating Beauty

You are a couple things you can do to make a cinnabun, or any bun for that matter, a bit less "severe". One thing is faux bangs. Basically you seperate the bang area of your hair, comb it forward, then sweep it to the side and tuck it behind your ear or pin in place. Then you just style the rest of the hair as usual. Another thing you can try is just taking the front section of hair and creating a little poof on top, secured with a barrette or clip of some sort. Then again, proceed with the style.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3
talullah
Sparkling Beauty

My usual updo is a non-twisted bun. I like it precisely because it's looser around the face and doesn't look so severe. It's really hard for me to explain how to do, though. I had a description that made sense to some people over at LHC, but obviously I can't access that right now. I'll see if I can find some photos.

ETA: Sorry, I can't seem to find the right photo. I need my photo journal!

Last edited by talullah : February 20th, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
talullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Katze
Dazzling Beauty

I hear you, I really don't like buns either.

How about a half-ponytail (the kind where the elastic breaks up the knob-like effect a bun would have)? I'm not very good at these, but when I don't try to do any one style, get good results. Something twisted (French twist style) works well for me, too, as do braids pinned up.

My hair is frizzy with lots of different lengths, so the only way to get a sleek updo is to oil the heck out of my hair, something my hair and scalp really don't like. So I do a lot of messy updos that tend to look like they are messy on purpose, holding my hair off my face yet covering my nape (I have those wiry, weird textured short curly nape hairs), and framing my face.

Coronet braids (two side braids braided upside down, then pinned in a coronet along the top of my head) are one of my favorite "elaborate" updos. Even though they get messy as the day goes on, if I get them right, they still look good messy, and a headband helps at least keep the mess from falling into my eyes.

The longer my hair gets the more I am able to do different things - usually a variation on one of the above - to get it up and out of the way (I bike daily, so don't want it tangling in the wind) but still be able to take it down and have it look good.

don't worry, you are not alone in not liking the look of buns, I don't either, and can wear my hair up without having to get that severe scraped back look.

hth!

Katze
Katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5
UrbanEast
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by talullah
My usual updo is a non-twisted bun. I like it precisely because it's looser around the face and doesn't look so severe. It's really hard for me to explain how to do, though.

I would love to see this. What do you use to secure it--something like a ficcare or scrunchie?
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #6
UrbanEast
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze
How about a half-ponytail (the kind where the elastic breaks up the knob-like effect a bun would have)?
Katze

Thanks. I've tried these but they always come out too low, like a low ponytail.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
talullah
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanEast
I would love to see this. How do you secure it?

It holds best for me with sticks. Since the hair is not wound tight, you have to practice inserting the first stick in such a way that it tucks in the ends and holds them in. If you can do that right, you don't even need the second stick. I have trouble using a fork with this style, because it's loose and the fork can slide out (I may just need a longer fork). I used to be able to secure it with pins (I use Good Hair Days pins), but I've been having a lot of trouble with that lately.

Basically, I just grab my hair into a ponytail with my right hand, then grab the "tail" with my left hand and wrap it around in a circle. I know, those instructions suck. Sorry.

ETA: Do you know how to do an inside-out bun? I have been told that it's very similar to my bun. Hopefully someone can explain the that bun to you. I can't explain that one, either.

Last edited by talullah : February 20th, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
talullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #8
squiggyflop
Luxe Beauty

if your hair is longer buns are the best way to care for the hair. how about a loose side bun. it makes you look fun and its easy. if you hair isnt too long why not try a slightly loose braid? i like the way i look in a braid but then again i have long bangs that hang out that soften my face. a side braid is easier than a braid in the back and looks nice if you have bsl or longer hair. a loose french twist held by a ficcare or a beak clip.dont comb the hair back so much just finger comb it backward so you will get a looser appearance without comprimising the secure hold of the updo...
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #9
spidermom
Alluring Beauty

The best thing I ever did to improve the look of buns on me was to have some face-framing fringe cut in.
spidermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #10
Islandgrrl
Enticing Beauty

I too, hate the severe look that buns can give, but I do wear my hair up in buns a majority of the time. I'm growing out layers and have long fringes (almost to my chin) that are still too short to get caught up in the bun and pulled back, so they hang loose. I usually pull a little hair out at the sides where some of the shorter layers are so the hair frames my face a little and it softens the look a lot. I also do double buns - I separate my hair into 2 sections vertically (not side by side like you'd do for 2 braids) and make a loose bun with the top section. Secure that with a hairpin while you do the second section the same way. Then with 2 loose buns stacked vertically, I take a big scrunchie and put it around both buns. That's usually enough to hold everything in place. If not I add amish hairpins until it's secure. My hair isn't that long yet - between APL & BSL, so you don't need super length to do this.

I also wear a loose braid quite often - it gets really messy after a while, but still usually looks good. I do French Twists when I'm feeling lazy (which is, hate to admit it, pretty often) - they're ususally loose & messy - looks nicer than those severe ones!

[SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue]Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' [B]don't[/B] say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=olive]"No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Islandgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote