Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
morningstar
Alluring Beauty

Smiley South Beach Diet anyone?

South Beach Diet anyone?
I have just completed day 6, phase I of the South Beach Diet. I am now 6 pounds less than when I started. I am hoping to lose a total of 25 pounds. Anyone else doing this or have done it? The sugar cravings are getting to be less of a problem. I felt bad on day 3-4. I think I can do this to day 14 and then add some carbs back (fruit and whole grains) Any thoughts about this diet and your results are welcome.
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Anja
Raw Beauty

Not exactly South Beach, but I don't eat "bad" carbs since 11 month. Within 4 month I lost 20 pounds or so and now I'm holding my weight since 7 month. I only eat bread, rice, potatoes or pasta on special occasions.
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #3
darian moone
Alluring Beauty

Congratulations on the weight loss Morningstar!

I live South Beach Diet and have for about 3 years now. It works! Now I'm Phase 3 all the time. I don't stick to it exactly as prescribed - I eat a bit more fresh fruit, but I don't eat any sugar at all, and very, very rarely eat any refined carbs. I don't miss them (well, hardly ever - ignore my recent post about eating Cheese-Its ).

I haven't felt this healthy in a while.

DH has just gone on South Beach and has lost 9 pounds so far. We both had physicals lately and my cholestral, triglycerides, blood levels, ekg were not just good, but in the "outstanding" category. My doctor and I ascribed that to the way I eat and exercise. DH - not so good. His cholesterol and triglycerides were really bad and the doctor wanted him on medication right away. DH is refusing medication, so he's gone on South Beach and an exercise program. His mom's a doctor and she has approved his plan. If he doesn't improve his number with the diet and exercise he'll go on meds...but...my mom and dad had the same situation (and they're in their 70's) and they went on South Beach several years ago and their cholesteral and triglycerides and blood pressure went down to near normal levels. Mom's medications have been greatly reduced, as has dad's.

On holidays (or just any day), if I really wanted to I could eat birthday cake or cheesecake or something not "ok" for South Beach. You just have to remember to not do this too often and to go right back to eating healthy the next day. If having special treats like this gets out of hand and I start to gain weight, I just go back to Phase One for about a week and the weight comes right back off and I'm back to Phase Three.

I really recommend South Beach - not just as a weight loss program, but as a healthy way of life.
darian moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #4
morningstar
Alluring Beauty

Anja and Darian Moone Thanks for sharing your feelings on this diet. I was so out of control for so long. About 10 years of eating what ever whenever. I feel more in control now and my feelings are that I will eat some of the bad carbs again some time but not 5 times a day or more. If this weather would warm up soon I will go back to running.
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

Morningstar, 6 lbs already, wow, you go. Great idea, I have friends who love this diet and have all lost weight on it.

Darian Moone, no wonder you are always so slim and fit looking, you're a South Beach girl.
jessie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #6
morningstar
Alluring Beauty

Well I am not going to say that the 6 pounds are fat but probably water and assorted waste. LOL The bloat that surrounds my fat is gone...he heh!
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #7
darian moone
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie58

Darian Moone, no wonder you are always so slim and fit looking, you're a South Beach girl.

Yeah Jessie, I've gotta at least keep the bad carbs very low because I'm a definite carb addict! If left to my own devices I would eat almost nothing but carbs day and night. I got away with it in my teens and 20s but after 30 "something" happened!
darian moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8
morningstar
Alluring Beauty

I was thin in my teens and twenties too and then I gained a lot of weight in my thirties. I am now trying to get back to the body I had (well the 43 year old version) I could eat carbs all day too. I got on the other scale today and it read a 4 pound weight lose. That seems more realistic than the 6 pound one I saw on the other scale. I am starting the 2nd week of Phase I.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #9
TammySue
Radiant Beauty

morningstar, you look so thin and shapely in your picture! Congrats on the loss!

I lost about 70 pounds on the South Beach Diet. I still follow a low carb diet and right now am trying to get some weight off that I gained during a stress-filled time several months ago.
TammySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #10
mugglemomof3
Sparkling Beauty

I've never done South Beach, but Sommersize (the Suzanne Sommers diet) is, from what I gather, very very similar. I lost 25 lbs very easily over Thanksgiving and Christmas a few years back. I keep wanting to give up that sugar and those carbs, but damn! I love them.

I'll have to check out the book, MorningStar. Maybe I'll join you!