Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Copperhead
Natural Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by darian moone
I've heard of this recently myself. Copperhean, when you say it's mood enhancing, what do you mean? Does it calm you down, perk you up, or what? The reason I ask is depression and anxiety often go together. I'm hoping to find something natural that can help with both anxiety and depression. I'm so glad you brought this other alternative up. Dr. Weil can have some good advice so I'm interested in your experiences.

I just feel happier in general and I sleep much better. I don't think I was seriously depressed, but I was certainly not feeling right. I read where Sam-e cured moderate to deep drepression in some people, but this is just something I read. I feel it can't hurt and there don't seem to be any side effects from it. My lower back feels so much better now along with my joints. I also feel calmer. I tend to become very anxious and have had panic attacks, but they are in the past and I don't think they will be coming back now. It doesn't make you feel weird in any way either. Just better.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #12
darian moone
Alluring Beauty

happylynngilmer, you mentioned that SAM-e helps with appetite. In what way - supresses it or increases it? You seem light years ahead of your research than I am (and you seem to have a much better scientific head than I do so I'm grateful to glean what I can from all your studies.) Thanks so much for starting this thread and sharing your data. (where's that bouquet of flowers smilie when you need him?)

Copperhean, thanks for sharing your experiences with SAM-e. It cerrtainly sounds like it may be a good alternate solution. (insert bouquet of flowers smilie guy here)!
darian moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #13
happylynngilmer
Serene Beauty

Quote:
happylynngilmer, you mentioned that SAM-e helps with appetite. In what way - supresses it or increases it? You seem light years ahead of your research than I am (and you seem to have a much better scientific head than I do so I'm grateful to glean what I can from all your studies.) Thanks so much for starting this thread and sharing your data. (where's that bouquet of flowers smilie when you need him?)

aw, you're making me blush! I wish I could say I learned it all being a psych major, but I learned most of this stuff doing research in libraries and online article sites, not from a textbook.

SAM-e supresses appetite (and so does 5htp-but it looks like if you're going for JUST appetite suppresion, SMA-e will help more than 5htp). Mid to high serotonin levels (which the amount necessary to do so will depend on the person) make you feel full, or satiated. You won't be craving anything because there will be more serotonin than dopemine in the brain. (dopemine is responsible for craving and serotonin for satiation-they work like a tetter totter. If you really want chocolate-you've been craving it all day-your DA levels are rising consistantly until you eat it, then they are uptaken and serotonin is released in its place.)

I'm not sure how the role of serotonin plays out in the joint aspect. There might be something else in SAM-e to help with that. I'm still researching because I'm curious LOL serotonin is quite possibly my favorite nuerotransmitter-I'd like to know EVERYTHING it does!!! So thanks, Copper, for bringing it to my attention and sharing your story. :}

Dh started 5htp last night, 50mg dose. I'll do updates in my LHC journal when we get back up, for now, I'll post them in this thread.
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #14
darian moone
Alluring Beauty

Thanks, happylynngilmer!
darian moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #15
az_sweetie01
Untouched Beauty

Thanks happylynngilmer for all the info on the 5htp. It's good to know that it really is differenent than the pharmaceuticals.
az_sweetie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #16
happylynngilmer
Serene Beauty

happy to help az_sweetie :}
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #17
happylynngilmer
Serene Beauty

Dh upped his dose to 50g twice a day on Saturday because he read that the average dose is 100mg and wants on the bandwagon. No weaning on it for him I guess...He sleeps better and longer since he started it, and claims to be happier emotionally-but I am not sure if that's actually occuring after just 4 days or if it's a placebo effect LOL

But so far so good!
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #18
ilovemycop
Captivating Beauty

Ok.My first question is pretty stupid but what does 5htp stand for exactly?And also,does it interfere with SSRI's if you are currently on them?I'm on lexapro right now,40mg,and Lamitcal and I'm afraid that it won't mix with the two.

but is lexapro even a SSRI??I'm soooo confused

[CENTER]:star:Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights :star:[/CENTER]

[/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=magenta]:frog:The LHC'er known as Patrycja :frog:[/COLOR][/CENTER]
ilovemycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #19
happylynngilmer
Serene Beauty

5htp is short for "5-Hydroxytryptophan". It's a mouthfull alright! It's the second stage of serotoin creation. First is tryptophan, second is 5htp, and then 5htp becomes serotonin (which is 5HT aka 5-hydroxytryptamine).

(You can take 5HT supplements-but the issue is that it doesn't work as well-5ht is too large to pass through the blood brain barrier. Tryptophan can pass through as well, but since 5htp is closer to 5HT than tryptophan, it's a heck of a lot faster, meaning you'll see results sooner.)

Lexapro is an SSRI. There is research suggesting that 5htp can be taken in correlation with an SSRI, but I would always talk to your doctor before starting a supplement combined with an SSRI. The doc may want to lower your dosage, or make other changes.
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #20
terriej
Raw Beauty

Do not take 5htp if you are on an SSRI. You should not take any supplement without talking to your doctor, but especially if you are already on medication.

I did start leaning towards the idea of trying it until I read that your not supposed to take it if you have asthma (I have asthma). Also, I read that SAMe can increase anxiety (I have anxiety).

I have actually been feeling pretty good for a little while, almost amazingly so. I then read that caffeine can increase serotonin and dopamine in your brain....ah, since I've been so cold lately, I have been drinking a lot of coffee and tea.

I will probably just ask my dr. if it would be ok to try the 5htp and see if it aggravates my asthma at all.
terriej is offline   Reply With Quote