Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1
unaspenser
Natural Beauty

Default Re-committing to a lifestyle change

When I went to the doctor's office a few months ago and stepped on their far more accurate scale I was upset to find that at 5'7" I weighed in at 170 lbs! I've got a nice figure, and I've always been very hourglassy, so I guess not seeing rolls or a full-on tummy made me ignore the fact that my hips, thighs, and breasts were not where they used to be. I got really vehement about dieting and lost about ten pounds, but of course diets aren't really sustainable, and I've gained about five back.

I've decided to really get back on track with my weight loss. I'm definitely in better shape thanks to a great step aerobics class. My body does look good, I just want it to look like less of me! I've always had special difficulties with being large-chested, and until I can get a reduction I can deal with the gravity, but having them be smaller will probably help a lot.

I guess I just wanted to make this post to get some solidarity from other people. I'm planning on making changes in my eating and exercise habits starting today, and after my fiance's visit (he's here until July 2) I'm planning on doing a master cleanse, running the track here at school three to four times a week for 45 minutes, getting a set strength-training routine that I can do at home, and continuing to regulate my food intake.

I'd love to hear your words of support, tips, and encouragement. Does anybody want to join me in making some changes?

This site has really good info too, btw.

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/06/05/...ght-loss-tips/
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2
pietri
Raw Beauty

I'm with you - I've been looking through old photos last week and I found that I looked so much slimmer even 6 years ago... somehow I used to believe that I've been overweight (about 12 kg too much) for at least the last 15 years, but judging from those photos it hasn't been that long and I want to turn that trend around!

I've started by trying to drink lots of water, avoid sweets, and have more fruit and vegetables in my diet, plus having smaller servings.

I'll start to excercise (again... I tend to lose my momentum after a while...) by taking long walks on the beach and cycling when I'm on holiday next week.
pietri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #3
SchnauzerMom
Sparkling Beauty

I'm with you too. I've been 20 pounds overweight for at least 10 years. I was heavier than that but I seem to be stuck here. I get plenty of exercise on my job. My main thing is I need to eat less, take smaller servings. Back in my skinny days I made a point of eating small servings. But here lately I've been pigging out. So, starting right now it's small servings for me! I want to add that I'm 5'6" and weigh about 158. Should weigh about 130-135. At one time in my adult life I got down to 118 but that's way to low to maintain.
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #4
faerie
Untouched Beauty

A few years ago my doctor told me to lose some weight, about 5 kilo’s. He figured that I couldn’t lose 10. He’s been right, I haven’t lost the weight.

I want to follow Paul McKenna’s plan. There are 4 “rules”:
1) eat when hungry
2) eat only what you really like
3) eat consciously
4) stop when you’re full

So far rule 2 is the only one I’ve followed . I keep telling myself that today I’ll stick to the others as well.
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #5
MerryKat
Untouched Beauty

I am still battling to loose my 15kg of baby weight (he is almost 2) and since being diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic a month ago, I really need to get my act together.

I am following the No S Diet:

No Snacking
No Seconds
No Sweets
Except on (some) S Days (Saturday, Sunday & Special Days)

Basically this boils down to 3 meals a day except on the weekends when I have some planned treats.

My first month following this properly I lost 2kg (4.4lb). Some days are harder than others, but basically it is a very easy plan to follow.
[COLOR=#666699][URL="http://www.snugglepie.com"][IMG]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/543633.png[/IMG][/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666699][URL="http://www.snugglepie.com"][IMG]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/543636.png[/IMG][/URL][/COLOR]
MerryKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #6
Calista
Alluring Beauty

Unaspenser, if I have calculated correctly your BMI is about 26.5, which isnīt grossly overweight. If I were you I wouldnīt focus on weight loss but rather rely on how you feel about yourself. Working out does wonders for oneīs self-esteem and makes you crave less sugary snacks and more healthy food as likely as not.

So while itīs totally ok to want to get in better shape and pamper yourself with healthy food I donīt think itīs a good idea to focus on an exact amount of weight to be lost. You wonīt necessarily be a healthier person at 160 lbs. than at 170. How you feel about yourself is what is so important.

That said, for me fasting does a lot to snap out of damaging eating habits and get back a positive body image. Whenever I feel Iīm not good towards myself anymore (bad eating habits, no exercise, too much alcohol) I try to do a shorter or longer fast. Itīs cleansing - for the body, but more importantly for the soul. Being off food for a period of time gives your body opportunity to get out of its sugar craving; and once you start eating again it makes you appreciate the wide variety of "healthy" foods. It also makes me realize that very often I donīt eat because Iīm hungry but rather because Iīm stressed, worried, lonely, bored... Satisfying your bodily needs doesnīt make you overweight; taking your mindīs troubles to a bodily level is what results in those superfluous pounds. It took me a long time to realize that, but it was important for me to learn it myself, and fasting helped me a lot.

This is what works for me personally; I realize itīs not for everybody.
Calista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #7
unaspenser
Natural Beauty

You're absolutely right, Calista. I've set some appearance-related goals in the last few months based entirely on looks, and that's been pretty helpful. So, while I'm only down to 164 now, I have lost the dreaded creases/rolls I get on my back when I'm too heavy. That was one of my major ones.

That's the real reason why I'm focusing on lifestyle changes, not weight goals. The women in my family are tall and curvy, and that's okay with me. I'm looking forward to doing the cleanse to get me focused, and all I really plan to do is eat sensibly and get more regular exercise. I've been under a ton of stress lately, and have wound up with a bad flu, lack of exercise, impulsive eating habits, etc. I just want to get back on track.

Also, thanks to everyone who's stopped by! It's great to have some support and camaraderie. I think the lack of that stuff is what made me lag before.
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #8
mugglemomof3
Sparkling Beauty

I too need to lose weight (I'm 5'8" and am currently at 219 lbs). A few months ago I decided to do something, anything, but didn't want to diet. So I also called it a "lifestyle change" and that alone has really helped. I cut out eating refined sugar and "junk" food - chips, candy bars, popcorn at the movie theater, convenience foods from the local 7-11, etc. I started trying to exercise at least 4 times per week (walking, biking, and swimming). I feel so much better. And I don't feel deprived, because I'm not "dieting" - that's just an ugly word. (in April, when I was using the Suzanne Sommers eating plan I actually lost 12 pounds. In May, eating regularly, I only lost 2 - but hey! 2 pounds is better than gaining!)

If we could all support each other, that would also do wonders for our weightloss.

Unaspenser, I'm proud of you! And thank you for posting your story - it really helps to read other's trials!
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #9
bowie
Raw Beauty

These have helped me:

1) eat fruit first in the morning. It fills you, you get your servings of fruits in early.

2) drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. Try to drink water a few minutes before your meal to fill you up.

3) Make salad the main meal. At dinnertime--make the other parts of dinner the *sides* and make the salad the main part!

4) I've cut out most flour products--every once in a while I will have pasta--usually brown rice made--it tastes amazingly like reg. pasta--and rarely eat bread. If I want a sandwich I use pita bread.

That's all I can think of. Very important part is the exercise component for sure!
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #10
LadyHeather
Sparkling Beauty

I want to lose some weight too, partly to feel better about myself but mostly for health. I'm 5' 11'' and I weigh almost 16 st (not sure what that is in pounds...) I've had years of people telling me "it's OK, you're tall, you can carry it," or "you dont look that weight, it must be because you're so tall" but now I'm finding that, although I've only put on a couple of pounds this summer, my jeans are now a UK 18-20 rather than my usual 16. Nuts. So, I will have to do something.

I dont mind being tall and curvy, because that runs on my dad's side of the family, so I'm always going to be that. But I do mind being tall and overweight. My measurements have gone from 40-30-40 to 42-40-48 or something, in about 3 years, which is blinking depressing in my book, so I'd like to get back to how I was before.

I dont exercise (although I DO walk everywhere as I have no car) - mostly because I'm a lazy moo, and I know I eat too much. And usually the wrong things. But I was bulimic when I was in college and I'm scared to lose weight in case I get back into that binge-obsess-panic cycle.

I hate water, because our tapwater tastes foul, but I have just bought a filter jug for the fridge so I'm hoping that will make me drink more water. I am going to TRY to cut out coffee, too, as I douse it with sugar.

I am, sadly, a pasta fiend, but I'm trying to only have those 'single portion' packs of fresh pasta, with salad, these days. And I love brown rice, so I have that a lot. I have tried to cut out bread, which now I have about twice a week.

I do have fruit and an Actimel (digestive drink) for breakfast, when I remember. That's another thing I should do - make sure i eat breakfast - but I don't usually.

I'm looking forward to getting my new job and moving to London, when I'll have a smaller place to live but it will be all mine, and I can feel like I'm having a total new start. I'll even join a gym or a pool.