Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #11
spidermom
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bte
I don't eat fish, either, and I don't like water. A lot of the ideas about drinking lots of water seem to forget that much of our food contains massive proportins of water anyway. Dehydration ican certainly be a problem, but I'm not convinced we all need as much water as some people think.

I understand. I used to dislike drinking water also. I'd wake up at night extremely thirsty and realize that I hadn't had a drop of water all day long.

Actually, the advice to drink water doesn't forget that many foods are high in water. A book about nutrition that I have been reading mentions the water content in various foods and adds that we need at least 48 to 64 ounces of water in addition, although this probably wouldn't apply if your entire diet consists of raw, organic fruits and vegetables.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the benefits you reap if you let go of the "I don't like it," mind set and embrace "I need it." I am. One benefit I'm enjoying is that my face is not breaking out nearly as much as it used to, and the only change is making absolutely sure I get my 64 ounces of water a day.

Last edited by spidermom : March 2nd, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
spidermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM   #12
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCOLADY
Yes! Me, too! I was walking about the grocery store when I
spotted a tall 33 ounce bottle of smart water. I actually bought
it only for the bottle, LOL. I'm too cheap to order the stainless
steel water bottle I saw on NPR.org, but love the Smart Water
bottle in the meantime.

SM, I'll think of you every time I drink and refill! LOL

I moved your thread, Karen!

I drink for the 1 liter Smart Water bottles, too. I purchase the 750ml bottles (with the pop top /sports top) and put it on the 1liter sized. I love those bottles because they fit into the cup holder in my car. I know if I drink 2 of those bottles, I've drunk 2 liters of water. I own a half-dozen bottles. I wash and refill them so I always have one with me. I'll even keep a bottle in the car, just in case I don't take one with me.

In an effort to drink more often, I keep a water bottle beside the computer and take a sip every 10 minutes or so. I also keep one in the car. I take a swig at every stop light. I am in such a habit that if I *don't* have the water bottle at the stop lights, I work myself up to thinking I am dying of starvation and must get water ASAP! Even if it is only 10 more minutes until I get home. I'd say I've worked myself into a pretty good habit!

A few things I've learned about drinking water is to figure out what temperature you like it. I've learned I don't like cold water. Room temperature and even warm water are just fine with me.

Also, get something you enjoy drinking out of. You might like a glass, a bottle, a mug, whatever works for you.

Drink up, ladies and gentlemen!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #13
ACCOLADY
Natural Beauty

Cool Water, water, everywhere...

Thanks, Teach!

Franny, very true, a cut-off for me as well, or the morning
rush is a bit more rushed. I detest night time runs. (Let me
rephrase that, I meant runs to the bathroom, not bathroom
type runs. Well, you know what I mean, LOL!)

Many of the comments above ring so true, so familiar. I've
not been much of a water drinking fan in the past, but in getting
a bit older, I've learned (hopefully not too late) that it is not
a matter of "I don't like" but indeed as Teach said, "I need" or
"I should". Hopefully I'll live long enough to learn so much more
about life. Keeping an eye on healthy habits is never a bad thing.

Jen, funny you should mention the color of urine. Having to take
a drug test for employment recently led to a discussion about
it with the technician. She stated just as you did that urine is
healthiest when pale or close to clear. Though my water habit
had already begun, I pay more attention now.

Teach, the acne, tell me about it. My face seems the first to
suffer lack of water. I've noticed a HUGE difference since becoming
a fan of water every single day on schedule. The zits appear, they
scrub off and they are gone. Quickly. No more giant volcanos
bubbling underground.

I have to say, I enjoyed my 30's, but I'm certainly a lot healthier
in my 40's. It's gonna be a fun ride to 50!

Karen Marie
ACCOLADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM   #14
darian moone
Alluring Beauty

I'm a water lover too, however whenever possible I tote around a glass bottle. Plastic bottles can leach all kinds of synthetic hormones into the water - not so good.

I love my fish too, but need to qualify that statement. I don't like most fish, but I love tuna. I'm allergic to salmon, so that's out of the question. But sashimi grade tuna steaks done on the gas grill with DH's special sauce of fresh orange juice reduction, nutmeg, ancho chili powder, and rice wine vinegar. YUMMM!!

Plus I have a teaspoon of cod liver oil every morning in my protein shake. I need to supplement my vitamin D and the cod liver oil works while supplemental vitamin pills do not. I only use Carlson's brand of cod liver oil. According to Dr. Mercola, it's a safe brand of Norwegian oil that's not full of junk you don't want. It's a bit more expensive than other brands, but worth it. (I've noticed that my skin is far less dry since taking the cod liver oil too).
darian moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM   #15
darian moone
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherbear

A few things I've learned about drinking water is to figure out what temperature you like it. I've learned I don't like cold water. Room temperature and even warm water are just fine with me.

A kindred spirit! I don't like cold water either, but prefer mine at room temperature. It seems like I remember reading somewhere that our bodies can absorb the water easier and faster when it's room temp - but this is a "don't quote me on it" kind of statement. I remember hearing this, but unfortunately can't remember the source.
darian moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM   #16
spidermom
Alluring Beauty

I used to love it cold, but since I had crowns done, cold things bother my teeth. Pity. Now room temperature is just fine with me.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Once I got used to drinking more water I found I really *liked* it. I like it hot, ice cold and room temperature. I feel much better when I get plenty every day. If I neglect drinking I now can tell the difference. Years ago I did a weight loss hypnosis class and on thing they suggested was drinking your water out of something pretty that you enjoyed looking at. We were also to think about how the water was washing the bad things out. I know that's all mental but it's helped me drink more water. I've read that we shouldn't reuse the made-for-one-use drink bottles too many times as the plastic starts to break down and we ingest it. I sometimes reuse mine a time or two and then toss them. I got a really nice aqua colored liter size drink bottle at Whole Foods. It was made of a plastic that's OK to refill and reuse. It was kind of pricey but if I buy the gallons of drinking water and refill with that, it isn't too bad.

I love fish. All fish. Any kind of fish. Fish sticks included. I could eat fish every single day and not feel abused KM I make creamed salmon and peas on toast. I think it's a treat says the girl who loves cod liver oil

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #18
ACCOLADY
Natural Beauty

Cool Water to drink...

Add me to the list of the room temp girls. However, if I drink it
cold, I use a straw. Am I weird? Don't answer that. LOL.

Making a note never to eat at Carolyn's house
on Salmon and Peas night.

KM, who is now going to take a shower after giving the
two dogs a bath. Today is bye-bye day! Going to
Grandma and Grandpa's house!
ACCOLADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM   #19
Lady Godiva
Natural Beauty

Darian, I prefer glass to plastic, too, absolutely. I'm also a cool or lukewarm-water person.

[URL="http://imageshack.us"][IMG]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/782/puppieskj9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Lady Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:18 PM   #20
kwaniesiam
Radiant Beauty

I try to drink mostly water, juice, or tea. I hate pop and never drink that. I prefer my water room temperature, or if it's cold through a staw. I find that I drink more water through straws than normally...maybe it's because you can absentmindedly sip it?

My dbf hates water, and I pester him all the time. He lives on coke. As soon as he gets back from basic training I hope to change his mind, although I'm sure the army has helped change his unhealthy habits too.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote