Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
freznow
Sparkling Beauty

Default Shoe problems: Narrow feet, especially heel

I can't wear nice shoes. For the simple fact that no shoe that doesn't cover the whole top of my foot will simply fall off. I'm going to blame it on a narrow heel, because there is always wayyy too much extra room back there. So most dressy shoes and stuff just aren't going to work. I went and tried on a million pairs of shoes today (okay, I'm exagerating) and the only shoes that fit are athletic ones. I have to lace up most shoes tightly to prevent my foot from sliding around, and yet if I go a size down my toes are cramped. There just seems not to be shoes for narrow feet out there!

This is becoming more of an issue with a) track season starting up again. I like my old shoes, but they are still a bit too big and now that I have more knowledge than last year I'd like to find a better shoe. and b) I'm doing a lot more dressy type activities this year, with orchestra and model United Nations, which require relatively nice shoes, but none of the nice shoes like to stay on my feet.

Are there any brands I can look for? I'll probably be bringing up the running shoe at the next athletic shoe store I go to with the people there, but I'd like to hear some opinions, esp. about the dressy shoe topic. It's also hard because I really extremely prefer to wear shoes that, if needed, I wouldn't have a hard time walking a distance or even running a bit in. Which eliminates more than short heels and shoes without something to hold them onto my heel (which is the main problem, most shoes just don't hold onto my heel)
freznow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Nat242
Dazzling Beauty

I feel your pain, having long and narrow feet myself, and I hate teetering heels.

My dress shoes are heels with an ankle strap, a strap across or along the foot, and closed toes to hold my foot firmly in place.

Another option are dressy ankle/knee high boots. They hold the feet in place well, they often have sturdier heels than on strappy shoes, and better accommodate narrow feet. You can find quite sophisticated ones too, they might be appropriate for dressy occasions.

Hope that helps, good luck

--Natalie
Nat242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Pegasus Marsters
Cultured Beauty

Right there with you. I live in boots and hi-tops. Everything else falls off my feet. There is one trick I've found though... shoes with a mary-jane style strap. You can get high heels with straps across that look really quite nice and are formal enough you could wear them for your dressy occasions. Insoles might also help a little (don't ask me how they help narrow feet, but somehow they do!)

Good luck! ^.^
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Pegs has a good point. Mary Jane shoes are usually very comfortable, and they don't fall off
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Silver Strands
Sparkling Beauty

I have long, narrow feet also.
Many of the more expensive brand names carry a "Narrow" or will
order it for you.
Naturalizer, SAS, I can't think of anymore off the top of my head
right now.
Go to a high-end shoe store. They have some great sales and will
measure you so you get just the right fit.

Another thing: when you put on your running shoes:
Before you tie the laces, put your heel down on the ground with
the toe facing upward to "seat" your heel in the shoe properly.
Then tie it.
This works for me before I take off and gives me a tighter fit so
i'm less likely to turn my ankle.
Silver Strands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #6
dancingbarefoot
Natural Beauty

You can also get inserts that go on the inside of the heel and take up some of the extra space. I've had to use them since I was a kid to keep my ankles from coming out of my shoes. Usually places like Payless Shoes have them, but so do nice shoe departments like at Nordstrom. Most of the ones you can get nowadays have sticky adhesive on the side that touches the heel so they don't slip out.