Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I've slowly weaned myself off sodas, but it took a while.

I made a habit of drinking water with meals, and of drinking a juice glass ( 4 ounces ) full of water whenever I 'thought' I wanted a soda. If I was still in the mood for soda after having a drink of water, I'd usually get one. If I was still actually thirsty after drinking the little juice glass of water, I'd drink more plain water, reserving the sodas for a treat, just to sip.

I cut back, at first, as Sapphire'sWings did, by only drinking the types I really enjoyed, and those only sporadically, then didn't repurchase when we ran out.

I do have some regular old Coca-Cola in the house, but since I'm doing what I can to avoid caffeine too, I reserve them for the days when only a Coke will do.

Another tactic is to prepare other sorts of cold drinks. Lately, I've been putting a cup of frozen fruit in the blender, adding about a cup of fruit juice (or water), blending it up to grind up the frozen fruit, then adding a banana. After the banana's all blended in, I add about two cups of little ice cubes (we have an ice maker) and grind those up. Favorites are: frozen strawberries, orange juice and a banana. (Adding cream of coconut is not the best plan if your goal is to lose weight.)

Frozen raspberry lemonade is fun: Take about a cup of frozen raspberries, put them in the blender with about a cup of water. Grind them in the blender, then strain the seeds out, and put the fruit and water back in the blender. Add the juice of a few lemons, and maybe a bit more water, plus about 2 cups of little ice cubes. Once the ice is ground, add a bit of sugar to taste. I like this, because I don't think I put as much sugar in as I might if I hadn't added in the raspberries.

You can make plain old frozen lemonade the same way, just put lemon juice, water, sugar and ice in the blender and grind it up.

If I find I need a bit of encouragement in soda-avoidance, aversion therapy helps somewhat. After Hurricane Katrina, we were without power for a while, and without drinkable water for even longer. Trying to make the most of the fresh water supply, I'd drink canned sodas at room temp. Ugh. I think the corn syrup is responsible for the ucky way my teeth would feel afterwards. Truly, after we got a regular supply of drinking water, I pretty much haven't looked back. The memory of that just grosses me out. Ugh.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #12
getoffmyskittle
Alluring Beauty

*grin* I don't want to kick the calories OR the caffeine. I want to kick the sugar! I know it can't be good for my skin, and at this point, my skin needs all the lovin' it can get. :P (Hormonal acne... you know.. the kind 85% of teenagers get.)

These are some really great suggestions. Delila, your recipes sound really yummy - I'm definitely going to give them a try.

I've kicked the soda habit and then gotten back into it twice in the last three years. This is IT!

My "soda habit" is actually not all that bad. I'll have maybe one or two sodas per WEEK. But I still don't want to.

Only on special occasions from now on. Who's with me?
[/CENTER]

[URL="http://yayskittles.livejournal.com/"]eljay[/URL] (that means LiveJournal)
getoffmyskittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:31 AM   #13
Wind
Sparkling Beauty

Might as well jump on the band wagon. I actually don't drink that much soda, simply because we don't have it around the house. I do get free pop at work, and want to quit drinking it there. By the end of a shift, my teeth feel gross, and I can't go and brush if we're busy. Things that help me are: drinking plenty of water, so that I'm not thirsty, keeping at water bottle or glass within reach at all times, drinking gatorade if I really really want a pop.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:46 PM   #14
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

I started drinking Fruit2-0. And plain water. Lots of both. I am not completely soda-free. I drink one a couple of times a week. Diet and caffiene free.

Which makes little sense, when I think about it. I start my mornings with three cups of fully leaded coffee.......
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM   #15
sofia9283
Untouched Beauty

I most definitely need to stop drinking soda. It's my only source of sugar and it needs to stop. But it's so difficult and I really do think it is addicting! I once stopped drinking soda for about 3 weeks, but I went back to it. I had woken up during the night so thirsty and when that happens the only way I can get back to sleep(oddly enough) is when drinking a glass of soda. It's the comfort of something familiar that puts me to sleep, obviously it's not the soda! I wish I had the drive to stop chugging the soda, but I don't right now, I'm not strong-willed!
sofia9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:09 AM   #16
Wind
Sparkling Beauty

Can we report our victories here? I really wanted a soda at work yesterday afternoon, but I drank two bottles of water instead.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM   #17
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

Good for you, Wind!

There's definitely too much sugar in soda I try to limit myself to drinking it twice a month at most.
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM   #18
getoffmyskittle
Alluring Beauty

Haha... well, I went to a party last night... I figured that was a special occasion, but...

I drank Coke and half a bottle of "Bawls". Yes, it was really weird when one guy said "hey, get me some Bawls!" and then three more went "Get me one too!" (Me: Balls? Don't you already have them?)

There was a warning on the nutrition label. It said "Warning: This product contains high levels of caffeine."

(I've only had an energy drink once before in my life.)

The results were... not good. I have renewed my vows. No more soda. And DEFINITELY no more energy drinks! (My hands were shaking so badly...)
[/CENTER]

[URL="http://yayskittles.livejournal.com/"]eljay[/URL] (that means LiveJournal)
getoffmyskittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM   #19
Stephanie
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Yeah, I slipped up, too. Giving it another go on Monday when I get ramped up for a cleanse, I think.

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #20
lizzernog
Raw Beauty

Oh good luck everyone!

I've been soda free for two years. One day my choir teacher brought in about 5 cases of bottled water left over from a fundraising event and I went cold turkey and took two bottles a day instead of soda. Now whenever I have a sip or more of soda I get all twitchy and it messes my system up So when the cravings kick in, I find a juice drink instead and add seltzer water to it. All the bubbles without the bad stuff!
lizzernog is offline   Reply With Quote