Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #21
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

I've been doing some reading on how gluten and casein can affect brain chemistry and it's pretty disturbing!

http://depression.about.com/cs/diet/...llergies_2.htm

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/09...ness.html#more

quote:

"In that previous post on opiate withdrawal from gluten and casein I addressed the frequency and challenges of going off wheat and milk after recognizing gluten/casein sensitivity. The culprit: opioid peptides which appear to mimic the effect of opiates in the brain, and can result in withdrawal symptoms in some sensitive people.

The name of the two peptides with links here for further review [noting that authorities don't yet completely agree on this phenomenon] are casomorphin [a milk peptide] and gliadorphin or gluteomorphine [two names for the opioid peptide arising from partially broken down gliadin portion of the gluten protein in wheat.

While some may not agree, we have regularly seen "withdrawal symptoms" quite commonly after testing reveals wheat protein or milk protein sensitivity associated with psychiatric problems."

I've been doing surprisingly well eating this way, I mean I expected to have major cravings from day one, but that hasn't been the case. But, I think I've been "making up" for the lack of grains by eating more dairy products. I also think this is why I haven't seen any change in my fatigue/mood problems yet. I'm going to look into getting tested for casein sensitivity. Though the thought of a life without dairy does not sit well with me AT ALL.

For some reason I was starving all day today and ate more than I normally do. Today's foods were:

Breakfast-

granny smith apple slices
banana
hashbrown potatoes ( yum) with butter, onions, and summer sausage
medium (16 oz) coffee w/ cream

Lunch-

romaine, red onion, pork salad with homemade yogurt dressing and shredded raw swiss and italian cheeses
strawberry cheesecake made w/ hazlenut crust (didn't think that crust would work but it turned out great!)

Supper-

cabbage, scallions, pork, cooked in an obscene amount of butter and salt

So, I don't know what the deal was. I wanted to just scarf down cream cheese and butter all day. And so I did!

Last edited by cutastrophe : February 27th, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
cutastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #22
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

I went cold turkey off of coffee (hopefully for good this time) a few days ago. I felt like crap on the first day but the next day I felt GREAT. It's like a fog was lifted from my brain. If that makes any sense...

The next week will be the big test to find out if grains have a significant impact on my skin/breakouts, because it's "that time of month" when my skin is guaranteed to look like crap. As of right now, it's still looking great though.

I sure do miss toast and peanut butter though....

I've cut back on the dairy consumption. For the last few days, I've had yogurt but no other dairy. Sometimes when I eat dairy I get really drowsy and mucousy (is that a word?). So it basically has the same effect that grains/sugars do. I don't know if it's the lactose, the casein, or both. When I have more money I'm going to buy different kinds of dairy and experiment with how I react to them. Right now, all I know is that milk puts me to sleep and cheese plugs me up. But I think that's true for 99% of the population, lol. In the meantime, I picked up some coconut milk and have been using that for stuff (like in my chai, YUMMO!) Apparently you can buy enzymes that will break down casein and lactose and then all the bad side effects of them become a non-issue. I don't know if enzymes (in pill form) are for real or just a scam though. I generally don't think pills/supplements are very beneficial or effective.
cutastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote