Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 16th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1
hennahead
Untouched Beauty

Default Iced green tea: Experimenting with hot and cold brewing

So I have loose-leaf sencha, and I'm addicted to iced green tea. I never knew how to brew it, so I tried two different methods the other day.

The amount of tea leaves is the same in both experiments: 1 teaspoon per 8 oz of water. Each batch ended up being 64 oz.

For the first batch, I just dumped all the leaves into some Brita filtered water, shook it up, and stuck it in the fridge.

For the second, I boiled some water, let it cool to 175 degrees F, and then let the leaves steep for 2 minutes. I then poured the tea into a container of ice, straining the leaves out, and topped it off with Brita water until I hit the 64 oz mark.

The second batch I could drink immediately, and it was really tasty! First time I did iced green tea that wasn't horribly bitter -- I think it's because I used cooler water and only steeped it for 2 minutes, not 4.

The first batch took about a day to ripen in the fridge, but it turned the same bright green color of the first batch, and tasted almost identical! Perhaps even less bitter than the second batch, but I couldn't do a side-by-side taste-test because I drank the second batch in its entirety before getting to the first batch.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the nutritional benefits of each batch. A lot of tea Web sites say you have to steep the loose leaves in hot water to get them to release all of their beneficial ingredients, but the cold-brewed tea had the same look and basically the same taste as the hot-brewed tea. It was just a little more foolproof.

Anyway, if you already knew all that, I apologize, but it sounds like we've got some tea addicts here, so I thought I'd share!
~ Elaine. [URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/index.php?referrerid=674"]:flower:[/URL][INDENT][COLOR=Black] “What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.” [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black] - Ralph Waldo Emerson[/COLOR][/INDENT]
hennahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #2
peripheralvisionary
Natural Beauty

I've also made sun tea with green tea and it turned out great!
[FONT=Bradley Hand ITC][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#4b0082]Don't forget the flowers at your feet."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=indigo]Jeremy Bentham[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
peripheralvisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #3
SunCat
Radiant Beauty

I always drink my green tea cold. I don't use ice as I don't want to dilute the tea. I drink mostly green rooibos tea and gunpowder green tea. The gunpowder tea can be very strong and bitter but I do like it and it does contain caffeine. The the green rooibos does not have any caffeine and has more anti oxidants and minerals and has a mild taste and is not bitter at all. I have been drinking green tea every day since 1998.

I have a tea kettle that holds 8 cups of water and is made of stainless steel and comes with a large mesh basket that you put the tea into. It brews the best tea. I use 1/2 cup of green rooibos in 8 cups of cold water bring to a boil and let it steep for about 10 minutes. I know they say you should steep tea for 5 minutes but I like mine after 10 (except for the gunpowder green tea I only let it go 5 minutes). I then divide the strong tea into two 1/2 gallon pitchers and fill the rest of the way with cold filtered water. I always use filtered water to brew my tea as well.

We make a batch of green tea every day as my DH and I each drink a half gallon of tea a day. I get my tea at Mountain Rose Herbs (mountainroseherbs.com) they have great prices and excellent tea.