Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #31
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

What i've learned (I already knew this but it sounded preposterous) this year, is that you have to EAT to lose weight. If you are stuck on 1200 calories a day, IMO that is too little of an amount and your body is hoarding that food, along with the fat in your body that it thinks it needs to survive. When you eat, your metabolism kicks in and starts to digest and gets things working. I have found that even if I'm not hungry at lunch or dinner,instead of skipping that meal I make myself a cereal bowl sized fruit meal. I peel and quarter an apple, slice up a banana, and throw in a handful of grapes. I sit down and watch something on Netflix and very slowly eat my bowl of fruit. That gets my metabolism to kick in and start working, and in turn it works to release fat in place of the good food I just gave it. I'm no longer a calorie counter. Smaller meal portions, no bread, no sugar (except for fruit) and no dairy. Those are my trigger (danger ) foods. EVeryone is different. If you can figure out what your body likes to hoard, most times you'll be able to eat pretty regular food and enjoy your meals instead of feeling like you are starving yourself.
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #32
browneyedsusan
natural beauty

Good information, Justy. I agree about the calories--I don't count anymore, but I used to need about 1800 daily to maintain my weight; and if I dipped to 15 or 1600, I'd lose weight quick.

For me, dairy helps. If I'm hungry and drink a glass of milk, and it'll keep me full for 2 or 3 hours. (I also really like the stuff, and it conjures up warm, fuzzies from my beloved family far away on their dairy farm.)

I've just got to keep out of the junk, and have self-control when I go out.
browneyedsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #33
shutterpillar
Natural Beauty

Justy is absolutely right. It was not until I began keeping track of calories and making sure I got the proper amount in, that I began to lose weight. I lost 20 lbs in a little under a year - mostly what happened was I just built up muscle mass and lost fat.

Anyway, I no longer count calories because I have a good idea off the top of my head how many calories are in the food I eat. But it definitely was the first step to losing the weight I gained and making sure I was eating healthfully.

I used Myfitnesspal.com for calorie and exercise logging.
shutterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #34
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Wow-this is the first time I'm posting something from my phone! Feels a little weird but its so nice outside I'm just kinda chilling on the patio after my run.

I agree 100%. About eating enough in order to lose weight. I'm just starting to come out of my poor nutrition slump I have been in and what I have noticed is that the less I eat the better I feel and more I lose. I feel awful for saying it but for some reason this past year I do better if I eat less. I don't believe in starving myself but I am probably eating way less than I should. Today I ate one hole egg and an xtra egg white for breakfast at 4:30am. Snack at 9 am was 6 raw almonds. Lunch at 11 was a high protein low carb was drink-about 200 calories. Dinner 3 ounces chicken breast and leaf salad no dressing. Actually during the summer I only drank mothers apple cider vinegar-2 Tsp. unless I eat this way or less I will not lose. I never used to be like this. I turned 45 in august so age isn't on my side. It has been getting harder lose as I get older but this spring and summer was the worse. It's like I hit a brick wall and the only way the scale went down was to eat less. I was also exercising And taking vitamins. I also have IBS and I will bloat so bad. I can look 7 months pregnant on some days. But if I keep my calories down I don't bloat and feel great.

Any thoughts anyone?

I also hope this post comes out good. Posting on my phone is a little more difficult than on the computer. I hope it's legible!

ETA-I am on my laptop now and I re-read my post. The 2 tsp of braggs mother apple cider vinegar was for breakfast with a spoonful of almond butter to get the awful vingar taste out of my mouth! Yuck. I didnt just have that all day-although it kinda sounded like that from my phone post!

Im kinda at a loss about this in a way. Should I be eating more? But if I should its not working. My dinner does consist of a good protein-lean ground chicken, chicken breast, fish, lean ground turkey, and veggies. All types of veggies and I dont hold back at dinner on those awesome veggies. I am just a little confused at how strict I have to be-calorie wise. I may be 45 but thats not old! Dang-I feel 25! And have the mind of a 20 year old! Haha. Has anyone else noticed this as they are getting older?

Last edited by spookyghost : October 22nd, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:00 PM   #35
CaityBear
Natural Beauty

My goals for the week:
- Drink 4 bottles of water at work (equals about 10 cups)
- Workout 4-5 times
- Level up on Fitocracy (which just so happens to be 5 full length workouts...did not intend on that lol)
- Journal everything I eat
- Stop eating at 8pm (unless I workout late) this is more for self control than me thinking it will help me lose weight (though it might because I tend to be a late snacker...)

So hopefully we'll see some changes...I really need to work on self control with food. I eat healthy most of the time but let myself slip up way too many times...

ETA: Workout #2 is complete!

And I'm fighting a huge craving for a mini apple pie! First I need to stop allowing myself so many treats, second I am not allowed to eat after 8pm this week. MUST FIGHT THIS! I'm going to make myself a pot of peach tea.

Last edited by CaityBear : October 22nd, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
CaityBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #36
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

Checking in again Thanks Justy, browneyedsusan and shutterpillar for your replies. Sorry for not getting back sooner. And I should have clarified what I am doing - I generally use Sparkpeople online to track calorie allowance and to check roughly that I'm meeting my nutritional needs. It calculates a daily calorific intake to enable you to lose weight. It's allowing me up to 1450 calories at the moment. The meal plan I was following was a Rosemary Conley diet plan (proper meals cooked yourself, but low-fat), just for two week with a view to trying to kick-start my weightloss again.

Anyway, I think it's worked! I have lost 5lbs - and that is the first time I have seen a DEFINITE downward movement on the scales in absolutely months.

Dare I post what I now weigh? OK - I'm now at 205lbs (14st 9lbs) . I WAS at 238lbs (17st) just over a year ago. My mini goal for this year is to try and reach 196lbs (14st) by Christmas if possible - that will be 3 stone lost which is respectable over the course of a year I think.

My ultimate goal is between 147 - 154lbs. (10 and a half - 11st). I'm expecting it to take me at least another year to get there, but I'm not really putting a time limit on it. So long as it stays off and I never go back there. I can't afford to be obese for the rest of my life!
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #37
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaityBear
My goals for the week:
- Drink 4 bottles of water at work (equals about 10 cups)
- Workout 4-5 times
- Level up on Fitocracy (which just so happens to be 5 full length workouts...did not intend on that lol)
- Journal everything I eat
- Stop eating at 8pm (unless I workout late) this is more for self control than me thinking it will help me lose weight (though it might because I tend to be a late snacker...)

So hopefully we'll see some changes...I really need to work on self control with food. I eat healthy most of the time but let myself slip up way too many times...

ETA: Workout #2 is complete!

And I'm fighting a huge craving for a mini apple pie! First I need to stop allowing myself so many treats, second I am not allowed to eat after 8pm this week. MUST FIGHT THIS! I'm going to make myself a pot of peach tea.

Good luck with your goals CaityBear! How are you doing? Did you beat your craving...? (I usually don't manage it lol!)

I've joined Fitocracy and it looks fun but can't track anything as it doesn't seem to have Callanetics, rebounding or Pilates/stability balls listed, and they're my main workouts along with walking. I've not been on it much. Sparkpeople.com is working well for me though, I recommend it!
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #38
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Aredhel77-Great job on your 5lb weight loss! You should be proud!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #39
Sarahlabyrinth
Alluring Beauty

My turn to "fess up.
When I began cutting out processed sugar from my diet 4 weeks ago I weighed 214lbs. ( I am 5 foot 10 inches tall).

Today (I weigh myself daily) I weigh 194lbs.

My goal is 167lbs. I am currently losing 5.5lbs per week and am pretty happy about it. My cravings for sweet foods have disappeared too, which is a real milestone for me!
I hate exercise but do get plenty of it at work, so I am actually pleased that I am being paid to, lol.

It means I can freely not exercise on my days off, apart from my archery which is fun.

I don't follow a set plan but do concentrate on good protein levels and fresh fruit and vegetables.

2b/F/iii 25 inches. LHC since June 2012, 700+ posts
Sarahlabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #40
shutterpillar
Natural Beauty

Hit my goal today. 40 miles done, and October is not over with yet (though, pretty close!)

I am trying to figure out which goal to make for November. I am thinking i'll do something that involves body weight training.

Aredhel77 - congrats! 5 pounds is awesome!

Sarahlabyrinth - congrats to you! That is what did it for me, mostly. Cutting the crap out of my diet and eating things that were good for me.
shutterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote