Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #11
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

Sunscreen, lots of water, good sleeping habits, exercise and TONS of antioxidants. Just look at Pierre, the man doesn't have a wrinkle in sight, and he gets bunches and bunches of antioxidants in his diet.

Having good genes to start with helps too...
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Emichiee
Dazzling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by curls2grow
I use Jane Iredale MMU -- it has both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in both the loose and pressed MMU. I don't know about the ingredients in other brands.

Now... where can I get little purple rockerdude? Is he hiding in the bigger list here at TBB, because I didn't see him before!

hes from a private smiley side..I will PM you

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Emichiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #13
Lady_Evalyn
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
Look for a sunscreen with at least one of the following ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide and/or Avobenzone. These three are the only ingredients that are effective at blocking the (aging) UVA rays instead of just the (burning) UVB rays. Don't rely on anything that doesn't have one of those 3 ingredients, even if it is marketed as "UVA/UVB" or "Broadspectrum".

Definately did not know that. I'll be sure to look for these. Are UVA rays the ones that cause freckles and sunspots? Because I have freckles and I'd like to give them a chance to fade. But I just get more and more and I suppose it's because there aren't even ingredients blocking the UVA rays. I'm VERY fair skinned and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible to avoid freckling even more, but it's kind of hard.
Lady_Evalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #14
SpiralingWaves
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
If prevention is what you're after, then I think sunscreen is about the best thing you can do for your skin.

Look for a sunscreen with at least one of the following ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide and/or Avobenzone. These three are the only ingredients that are effective at blocking the (aging) UVA rays instead of just the (burning) UVB rays. Don't rely on anything that doesn't have one of those 3 ingredients, even if it is marketed as "UVA/UVB" or "Broadspectrum".

And please be aware that the SPF factor of a sunscreen only refers to the UVB (burning) rays, not UVA (aging) protection. It's better to get a lower SPF and have a UVA blocking ingredient, than have a high SPF but only be blocking UVB.

Oh! You just answered a question I had on another thread here! Thanks for posting this info, it is very good to know! I had just heard about sunscreens not really being *broadsprectrum*, so I am glad this subject came up!

[FONT="Courier New"][I][SIZE="3"]Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not. [/SIZE][/I][/FONT] [I]~Ralph Waldo Emerson[/I]:flower:
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][I][URL="http://cg-creations.livejournal.com/"]My Creative Journal[/URL][/I][/FONT]
SpiralingWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #15
SpiralingWaves
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Evalyn
Definately did not know that. I'll be sure to look for these. Are UVA rays the ones that cause freckles and sunspots? Because I have freckles and I'd like to give them a chance to fade. But I just get more and more and I suppose it's because there aren't even ingredients blocking the UVA rays. I'm VERY fair skinned and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible to avoid freckling even more, but it's kind of hard.

I have freckles too and they multiply even when I sit in the shade on a sunny day! So, the UVA rays are to blame for this? Forgive my ignorance.

[FONT="Courier New"][I][SIZE="3"]Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not. [/SIZE][/I][/FONT] [I]~Ralph Waldo Emerson[/I]:flower:
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][I][URL="http://cg-creations.livejournal.com/"]My Creative Journal[/URL][/I][/FONT]
SpiralingWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #16
Amber
Natural Beauty

I'm not sure which kind of ray causes freckles, or whether both do. Sorry!

Glad you're all finding the information useful.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #17
AshenLady
Banned

Don't smoke - Stay out of the Sun - Drink Plenty of Water - Exfoliate, Don't use soap on face.
AshenLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #18
TheFragile
Raw Beauty

What does soap on the face do?
TheFragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #19
Pierre
Adonis

And I don't use sunscreen, though I did put jojoba on my face in the dry Mineiro climate (and do here sometimes too). Keeping your skin elastic is essential; IIRR silicon and sulfur help with that, as does moisture.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #20
Elle
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragile
Prevention is what I'm going for.
Very wise! I've been a serious sun worshipper for years, getting very brown every single summer since I was a teenager. Now, I'm suffering because of it. You should see my hands. They look like the hands of somebody 20 years older than me! It's really a bummer.
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote