Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

Default Is it possible to make rosewater at home?

I splurged and bought a bottle at the natural foods store today. It is very nice, but it is also quite pricey.
So, I was wondering if anyone makes their own rosewater and would you share the how-to?

Thank you.
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #2
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

Oh my favorite subject Shermie Girl.
I made rosewater a couple of months ago, by boiling water and putting in roses. I probably used a cup of water per rose. I boiled it for about 15 minutes and then cooled it. I strain the rosepetals and I keep it in the fridge and put only a little in a cup in my bathroom. It only lasts for about 5 days before going off as there are no preservatives in it. I use it every day with a cotton ball after washing and then I splash with cold water. I've never had a better toner in my life. It also helps remove any traces of oil after I use the OCM too. I love it.
I actually hate the smell of roses, but I love my homemade rosewater. I need to make some more. Hope that helps.

Last edited by jessie58 : June 12th, 2006 at 09:28 PM.
jessie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #3
kittcatt
Untouched Beauty

sounds yummy, i may have to try that./
kittcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Love My Cop
Dazzling Beauty

Jessie, thanks for this bit of info. Think I'll give it a try too. I've been wanting to try rosewater for time now, and have not been able to find it. :smile:
Love My Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #5
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

You're welcome Love My Cop, this is when I started wanting a mini fridge in my bathroom and if I had the room, I use all kinds of stuff these days that needs refrigeration, however the rosewater will keep for a few days and the secret is to only put a container with that amount in your bathroom. It's nice to know that there's absolutely nothing but natural water and flowers in it. By the way did I mention that I haven't had a zit since using this as a toner?

I also mix a few drops of this with baking soda and make a paste to put on any bump that looks like a zit starting up. Keep it on for about half an hour and rinse off, the bump never turns into a pimple. I swear, I haven't had since I started this. It's been over 3 months.
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

Default Thank you, Jessie!

Thank you for the recipe, Jessie. And the idea for the baking soda and rosewater paste for pimples trying to be. I really appreciate your help.

Now..... to get some roses....
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #7
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

Actually Shermie Girl I snuck the roses that my DD got from her bf. On another thread there was some talk that they should be fresh or they can bring mould with them to the recipe.

I know that you could probaly buy a rose for about a buck some places.
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #8
Koala Kim
Captivating Beauty

Thanks jessie for the recipe! I'm going to try this as soon as I receive my goodies from the Camden Grey GO. One of the things I ordered was grapefruit seed oil to use as a preservative. That way- I can make fresh rosewater *and* keep it on hand for more than a few days.
Koala Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #9
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Kim
Thanks jessie for the recipe! I'm going to try this as soon as I receive my goodies from the Camden Grey GO. One of the things I ordered was grapefruit seed oil to use as a preservative. That way- I can make fresh rosewater *and* keep it on hand for more than a few days.

Wondering how that would affect it as a facial toner. Probably good for other uses though. What does the grapefruit seed oil do for skin KK? Would it be good or bad after washing?
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #10
Koala Kim
Captivating Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie58
Wondering how that would affect it as a facial toner. Probably good for other uses though. What does the grapefruit seed oil do for skin KK? Would it be good or bad after washing?

I meant to say "extract" not "oil". Duh!
I don't think the GSE will have any effect on the toner. It's used as a preservative by some natural cosmetic companys. And- I believe the percentage you use is very small.
Koala Kim is offline   Reply With Quote