Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #1
Calista
Alluring Beauty

Default sugaring?

Iīm sick and tired of shaving and I am thinking of trying the sugar method. I heard this was gentler and easier than waxing? Frankly, I have never had much success with those store-bought waxing strips for the facial area.

The recipe I have is this:

200g brown sugar
200g lemon juice
a pinch of salt
1 tsp sunflower seed oil

Is this any good? Please share your experiences reg. sugaring!

ETA: I want to epilate my legs, not my face.
Calista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #2
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

And you plan to boil this, right? It does seem like a bit too much liquid compared to most recipes I've seen. It was specifically for the facial area?
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #3
Calista
Alluring Beauty

It is for use on the entire body (more specifically on the legs, I think), and yes, you are supposed to boil it until it has the consistency of caramel. Then you spread it on your legs, smooth a strip of cloth (old t-shirt or something like that) on top and pull.

I found this recipe on www.Chefkoch.de, and it is supposed to hurt less than waxing (but why?). It is also supposed to taste yummy!
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #4
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

I had this recipe:

INGREDIENTS
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
ž cup water

It worked rather well, but I didn't think it hurt less than waxing. It did make excellent candy, though. Like lemon pastilles.
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Calista
Alluring Beauty

I guess Iīll take a little less juice then.

How long does the stubble have to be for the sugaring to be effective? I canīt wait to get going...
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #6
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

About the same as for waxing, though I did notice it took just a tad more of the shorter hairs. It's essentially the same process, except the cleanup afterwards is easier (dissolves in water!).
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #7
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

I tried the sugar & lemon juice recipe. All it did was hurt. No hairs came out. I had better luck with waxing, but I got really bad ingrowns so I'm back to shaving.
kimberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #8
BBGrrl
Radiant Beauty

Kimberlily I am sorry that it hurt. when I do mine it hurts but not bad. I don't use strips with mine. I use the same recipe as the regular sugar recipe but I simmer it till it turns amber. when it cools I can pick it up with my fingers and I form it into a ball (it should hold it shape for at least 10 seconds) spred it on the area I want to remove the hair from and then flick it off in the direction of the hair growth. Because it is with the hair growth I don't get the breakage. I can remove hair that is 2 days after a shave and it exfoliates the skin beautifly. Oh don't forget you need to put a light powdering down first or it gets stuck. If it starts to stick stop working with that ball. If it sticks stop working with that area. Knees are the hardest part of the leg, the sugar seems to have problems with dry knees.
BBGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Hairstorm
Sparkling Beauty

I've used a store bought kit (Sally Hansen, I think) and it only removed thin, unnoticable hairs.
Hairstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Calista
Alluring Beauty

Alright, now I mustered the courage to actually get going. I dumped all of the sugar (200gr.) and most of the lemon juice (150ml, cause eiyela said 200 was a bit too much) in the pot and brought it to the boil. Oh yes, added some salt as well. I let it boil and boil and boil until it was really, really dark brown. Now itīs sitting there in the pot, dark brown and still completely liquid! Surely thatīs not how itīs supposed to be? What did I do wrong?