Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 20th, 2006, 03:20 AM   #1
Calista
Alluring Beauty

Default moisturizer (face/body) in this weather?

For my slightly oily face I usually use clear aloe gel with an occasional drop or two of whatever oil I have around. On my body I use pure oil or a rich store-bought lotion as a moisturizer.

For the past few weeks it has been extremely hot here in Germany - yesterday the temperature went up to 35C (95F), and today it is supposed to rise even higher. I just dont like to use my regular moisturizers anymore:

1) I am just plain bum lazy.
2) They leave my skin sticky and barely seem to get absorbed.
3) They make me hot and sweaty for hours afterwards.

OTOH the frquent showers, even if I only use water, tend to dry out my skin, so some kind of moisturizer clearly is in order.

So please share your favourite products, recipes or general tips on how to deal with skin care in this kind of weather!
Calista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #2
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

I like doing a modified OCM on my body when I have to shower a lot. I basically just drench myself in oil, then start showering and scrub the oil off. No soap. I have to wash my scrubby brush afterwards (unscented shampoo there), but it's worth it. If I use a bit of extra oil and a wash cloth on any stinky parts, it gets the smell amazingly well.

It's not quite as hot here at the moment, though. Around 20C with a breeze. Last week it got up into the thirties, but yesterday it was just a few degrees above freezing in the evening... And the wind blew my cactus into the floor! I'll still take that over scorching heat, though.
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #3
quiet1
Raw Beauty

I have sensitive skin so I can't shower without some kind of moisturiser. However, as you say, in this heat, they can be heavy and awful. In the summer, I tend to do one of two things:

1. Use an oil-containing body scrub. This gets me clean (I may use a little shower gel on stinky bits) but leaves a very light coating of oil behind so I don't have to moisturise at all. It usually sinks in quite quickly and doesn't feel heavy or greasy. (That will depend partially on your scrub, however, and what oils are in it.)

2. Wash as normal with a shower gel or soap, rinse off, then spray on a very light oil like coconut (I find using a spray helps keep the amount as little as possible while still getting coverage), rub to spread it all over, then have another quick rinse, preferably in cool-ish water. Again, this leaves a very thin coating of oil, which traps the moisture from the water in your skin, but isn't heavy feeling. If you want, you can add a drop of essential or fragrance oil to get the same effect as a fragranced body lotion. Just be aware that some essential oils can make you more prone to sunburn. (I personally use a Monoi oil at the moment, which is basically floral coconut oil.)
quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 06:42 AM   #4
Calista
Alluring Beauty

Thank you, you two. Today I rubbed some oil into my skin while in the shower, then did a final rinse. It worked like a charm! Id never have thought of using oil that way. What a great idea!
Calista is offline   Reply With Quote