Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 15th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
shutterpillar
Natural Beauty

Default Damage-free ways to wear your hair at night

****DISCLAIMER****
I am looking for something that will do for right now. Due to medical bills and my surgery over the summer, we are pretty low in the monetary department and I cannot afford to be spending any money on new hair items. I am planning on buying a sleeping cap sometime in the future, possibly asking for one for christmas, but for now I am going to need to make due with what I have.

That being said, as my hair is getting longer, I have noticed that it is becoming more prone to tangles while I am sleeping. I have a very silky pillowcase that I use, but that alone is not enough to keep the tangles at bay any longer. I tried french braiding my hair overnight for a couple months but I am noticing more splits on my ends from using hair ties (even the ones made from cutting up panty hose).

Is there anything I can do? My hair is not quite long enough to throw over my pillow and stay there for the whole night, but just long enough to where something needs to be done.
shutterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Vanilla
Natural Beauty

Can you put it in a bun on the top of your head at night? I don't know if you have spin pins or bobby pins already, but this worked for me at shorter lengths than I am at now.

APL~[COLOR=Navy]BSL![/COLOR]~Waist~???
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla
Can you put it in a bun on the top of your head at night? I don't know if you have spin pins or bobby pins already, but this worked for me at shorter lengths than I am at now.

I used to do the sock bun and it was wonderful for keeping my hair up at night. Oh-how short is your hair. It might not be long enough to do it. I stopped doing it because it was hard for me to do with my layers and I felt like I was breaking my hair while I was trying to get it into the bun. I heard snapping so I stopped. But there are alot of people who make it work with no breakage.
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
shutterpillar
Natural Beauty

Vanilla - I can certainly try. I do not have any spin-pins (but they are on my christmas list!) I do, however, own a heaping supply of bobby pins. Now the tricky part would be finding a bun that can keep my layered hair somewhat anchored during the night.

Spookyghost - my hair is about an inch beyond BSL. I do sock buns every so often, but I have found them to be more damaging than good for my hair. :/ Just my own personal experience.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Vanilla
Natural Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterpillar
Vanilla - I can certainly try. I do not have any spin-pins (but they are on my christmas list!) I do, however, own a heaping supply of bobby pins. Now the tricky part would be finding a bun that can keep my layered hair somewhat anchored during the night.

Spookyghost - my hair is about an inch beyond BSL. I do sock buns every so often, but I have found them to be more damaging than good for my hair. :/ Just my own personal experience.

I have found the nautilus bun superior in keeping in my layers under wraps. Let me know how it works!

APL~[COLOR=Navy]BSL![/COLOR]~Waist~???
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #6
shutterpillar
Natural Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla
I have found the nautilus bun superior in keeping in my layers under wraps. Let me know how it works!

Now I have a mission tonight! :P I'll report back in the morning and let you know how it went. Hopefully I can get my nautilus right. I've been practicing with a stick, but i'm still a little uncoordinated.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Stephanie
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

If you can get it up on top of your head, my favorite standby is the good ol' cotton scrunchie. Spin pins, if you can get some, are comfortable to sleep in, too.

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Dorothy
Untouched Beauty

OK, so this solution is only a sometimes solution. But when I'm planning on washing my hair in the morning, I flip my head upside down and braid from the tip top of my head, adding glops of coconut oil, until the very tippy tip, and then I DON'T put a hair tie in. I keep braiding down to tiny strands, and that plus the stickiness of the oil keeps it more or less together, with no hair tie, especially if I go right from braiding to bed, and put the braid above my head. If you can tolerate being upside down that long, I suspect that french braiding from the nape upside down using the oil would incorporate your layers, and I also suspect that any oil you have on hand would work, if coconut is not in the budget at the present. I say it's a sometimes solution, because I wash every other day, and you might too. At any rate, the oil is good for many people's hair. I used this technique starting at BSL but didn't have layers, so your milleage may vary. Best of luck!
Dorothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #9
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

Ooh, I needed this thread! Thanks!
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterpillar

Yes me too! Which is a bummer because it was great to sleep with the bun it. Completely out of the way. Except I snapped half my hair in half trying to get it into the bun!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote