Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Amber
Natural Beauty

Default Making your own sunscreen

There was a thread about this at LHC! Did anyone have a copy of the recipe - I was going to try it this week!

Someone was also kind enough to tell me where they purchased their Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide for making their own sunscreen. Can people please share again where they buy this from?

Thanks heaps!
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
snowbear
Cultured Beauty

I believe From Nature With Love carries both of those.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Koala Kim
Captivating Beauty

I'm getting my Zinc Oxide from the Camden Grey GO.

I'm planning to try my hand at homemade sunblock as well as other goodies.
Koala Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
SpiralingWaves
Sparkling Beauty

So, if you are making your own sunscreen, do you need to use both zinc oxide & titanium oxide? Or do they do the same thing?

[FONT="Courier New"][I][SIZE="3"]Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not. [/SIZE][/I][/FONT] [I]~Ralph Waldo Emerson[/I]:flower:
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][I][URL="http://cg-creations.livejournal.com/"]My Creative Journal[/URL][/I][/FONT]
SpiralingWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Koala Kim
Captivating Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralingWaves
So, if you are making your own sunscreen, do you need to use both zinc oxide & titanium oxide? Or do they do the same thing?
I'm planning on just using the zinc oxide. I hadn't thought about the titanium oxide. But- I *think* they do the same thing; block the rays.

Guess I'll find out soon enough if zinc oxide alone will work.
Koala Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #6
SpiralingWaves
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Kim
I'm planning on just using the zinc oxide. I hadn't thought about the titanium oxide. But- I *think* they do the same thing; block the rays.

Guess I'll find out soon enough if zinc oxide alone will work.

Thanks Koala. When you say "block", does that mean both UVA & UVB? I think I read something about this on LHC, but darn if I can remember anything for more than 2 minutes.

[FONT="Courier New"][I][SIZE="3"]Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not. [/SIZE][/I][/FONT] [I]~Ralph Waldo Emerson[/I]:flower:
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][I][URL="http://cg-creations.livejournal.com/"]My Creative Journal[/URL][/I][/FONT]
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7
SpiralingWaves
Sparkling Beauty

Oop! I just found the answer to my question on the "Anti Aging Products" thread here. Amber posted this on that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
Look for a sunscreen with at least one of the following ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide and/or Avobenzone. These three are the only ingredients that are effective at blocking the (aging) UVA rays instead of just the (burning) UVB rays. Don't rely on anything that doesn't have one of those 3 ingredients, even if it is marketed as "UVA/UVB" or "Broadspectrum".

And please be aware that the SPF factor of a sunscreen only refers to the UVB (burning) rays, not UVA (aging) protection. It's better to get a lower SPF and have a UVA blocking ingredient, than have a high SPF but only be blocking UVB.

I hope you don't mind me posting this here too Amber. I thought it would be helpful here.

Old June 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #8
Amber
Natural Beauty

No, you're welcome.

Thanks everyone who suggested where to get Zinc Oxide - I'll have to go internet shopping.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Josephine
Untouched Beauty

here's the recipe if you still need it:

2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon Shea Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Jojoba Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Aloe Vera Gel
2 Teaspoons Titanium Dioxide

Mix all the oils and butters together then stir in the titanium dioxide. The mixture may become runny when you add the TD but it will set up overnight. Store in a tightly covered container. This has the consistency of butter at room temperature. Keep in the refrigerator during the summer months if your house is warm as the coconut oil will become liquid at around 75 degrees.

Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #10
golden_gal
Natural Beauty

Sounds interesting... Is the sunscreen very oily? There seem to be a lot of oils in it.
golden_gal is offline   Reply With Quote