Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 11th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #11
Abanilla_Surfer
Dazzling Beauty

I think people tend to change if they want to wear something fairly revealing to the reception, it's not always a great look in a church The other option is a jacket or shawl to cover-up duing the day which can be lost later.

These days almost any colour goes, except white, as long as it suits you. At my sister's (uk) wedding last year all of her friends (mid-20s age bracket) were wearing a real variety. Dresses with & without straps, skirts & tops, trousers. I did notice that there were no floor-length dresses, although there was 1 floor-length skirt. Oh, and there were lots of hats.

The most important thing is that you feel comfortable in you choice. It's no good having a fantasic strapless number if you keep tugging it up. Have a great time and post pics if you can.
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

I would suggest you go "shopping" but not "buying" if you plan to make your dress. It costs nothing to try on dresses and not buy anything. Try things on and see what styles and colors you like and you think look good on you. Then you will have some idea of what style pattern to look for. Also look at accessories too. You will need shoes and a bag and maybe some jewelry. I love making small dressy bags so maybe you could make that too. It can be cute and funky as well as dressy. Check second hand stores for your accessories too. You might find something wonderful and vintage. I would keep the outfit simple if you want to be sure you can wear it several times. If you don't want a dress a pantsuit in a more dressy fabric can work too. The only color I wouldn't consider is white. White is for the bride. It's her special day. My mom was the same on red and black at weddings. But I'm a believer in the little black dress. If you were my daughter I'd advise yes do shave unless you want to wear a long sleeved pants outfit. As for nylons I'd say do as you wish. I would forget them for myself as I find them horrendously painful to wear and at a wedding I'd like to be comfortable and have fun and not squirming all the time from the nylons hurting everything below the waist. I'd use some self tanning creams and get a light tan on the legs. Longer skirts will also hide pale legs. Do a nice pretty pedicure or get one done and make your toes lovely if you are wearing sandals. Nylons are a personal choice these days. As for make up it sounds like you don't wear it much. I'd practice some ahead of time so you get more used to wearing it and applying it. I'd suggest mascara, blush and lip gloss. Try not to spazz too much. The important thing is to be comfortable and have a good time.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #13
Birchbark
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abanilla_Surfer
I think people tend to change if they want to wear something fairly revealing to the reception, it's not always a great look in a church

Makes sense to me. . .

Thanks Carolyn, that's really helpful. I will probably bead myself a simple necklace and sew a purse like you suggested. Something knee length, sleeveless and probably not very exciting will probably work best, so atleast I can stop worrying about it.
Birchbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #14
Koala Kim
Captivating Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abanilla_Surfer
I think people tend to change if they want to wear something fairly revealing to the reception, it's not always a great look in a church
Yep- that's why I do it now.
Back when I was growing up...not sure...I'll ask Mom.

I second Carolyn's suggestion to practice with makeup ahead of time. A nice inexpensive powder foundation is Prestige Multi-Tasking Powder Foundation ($7).
I think powder will be better than liquid, especially if it's going to be hot.

If you do decide on makeup- concentrate on one area like eyes or lips. The rest can be soft. I vote to play up the eyes. If you're not used to applying eyeshadow, you will need to practice.
Koala Kim is offline   Reply With Quote