Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 5th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
quiet1
Raw Beauty

Default Establishing a personal Style?

My life has gone through some major changes lately, and in addition I've lost a lot of weight, so I find myself in a position of basically needing to buy the better part of a whole new wardrobe.

The trouble is I feel a bit overwhelmed and not quite sure what sort of things to buy.

Basically since I was a teenager I've been working as a personal care assistant for my husband in our own home (until he passed away last year) and as I have very sensitive skin anyway, my clothing choices have generally be in the category of 'easy to wear and move in and comfortable', which means lots of sweat/yoga pants and tshirts. And since he needed care 24 hours a day, we didn't get out that much, so I didn't have a lot of need for anything dressier or more professional, since casual clothes like that are just fine for running to the supermarket.

I'd like to take adavantage of having to replace my wardrobe anyway to develop a sort of personal style and build up a collection of things which are flattering and look good on me, however as I said I'm not sure where to start. This is compounded by the fact that some of the styles I like are a bit over the top for me personally for daily wear (for example I like the gothic look, but I don't want to spend every day like that. ) I also like the 40s/50s swing era styles, but again, that'd probably be a bit much for me every day.

Any ideas on how I can take the things that I like and encorporate them into a personal style that's not so unusal as to be weird-looking (as in "look what that freak is wearing") but is also still me?
quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Kitten
Untouched Beauty

You could buy some simple dresses that are 50's in style (or make if you can sew www.Simplicity.com - check out New Look too). If you make them you could do black and/or white which could be more gothic looking. I've found that a simple dress (read "easy to sew" ) can be made unique looking by lace and ribbon (for example you could add ribbon wrapped around the empire waist of fitted dress w/ a full skirt ) as well as different fabric prints. Good jeans are important to me. I also love tanks and camis b/c its so hot here and I like to go casual a lot. What else do you like?
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #3
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

When you say you like the goth 'style' are you talking color or a certain look?

Goth is really color: a black base color and then adding from there- jeweled tones or other dark colors- navy, gray, purple, reds.
T's or tops and pants and/or jeans work- whatever you like or feel comfortable with.

Go looking and try on until you find tops and jeans/pants that you like.

I like tanks/ halters, tops and jeans and I'm trying to incorporate more casual skirts.
Old July 6th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #4
quiet1
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer-time
When you say you like the goth 'style' are you talking color or a certain look?

A bit of both. I tend to gothy colours as a general rule (my wardrobe is kind of... black, black, and more black, with the odd bit of red or dark blue) but I'm a little bored with black tshirts and black pants all the time.

As far as a goth look goes, that's more what I'm talking about with being too over the top for general wear, since I tend to like corsets and unusual boots. I know some people are comfortable going out 'gothed up' as it were, with make up and everything, but, well, I'm too lazy to get that dressed up all the time.

I'm also not sure if I should try to break out of my 'mostly black' comfort zone a bit, colour-wise. Sometimes I think I should, but every time I go shopping I just gravitate towards the black stuff anyway.
Old July 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #5
quiet1
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten
You could buy some simple dresses that are 50's in style (or make if you can sew www.Simplicity.com - check out New Look too). If you make them you could do black and/or white which could be more gothic looking. I've found that a simple dress (read "easy to sew" ) can be made unique looking by lace and ribbon (for example you could add ribbon wrapped around the empire waist of fitted dress w/ a full skirt ) as well as different fabric prints. Good jeans are important to me. I also love tanks and camis b/c its so hot here and I like to go casual a lot. What else do you like?

That's a good idea with the ribbon. (I do sew, and I actually have a wrap-style dress pattern waiting for me because I haven't wanted to start on it while I've still been wanting to lose more weight. ) Depending on how you attach it, you could make it quite easy to swap for something else, too, for another look.

I'm trying to work myself up to a major jeans buying expedition, since I have NO idea what cut or style is likely to flatter me best these days. Where's a good place to go in the US for that? When I was younger everyone got their jeans at the Gap. (I'll be in the US in August, so I'm planning to do a bunch of shopping then, since it's cheaper. )

Part of the trouble is probably that I don't really know what else I like. Saying what I don't like (on people wandering past, mostly) is much easier. *grin* (Where I live, the 'muffin top' look is still out in force, and also the 'trousers with a skirt on top' look, which just confuses me.) Maybe I should try flipping through some fashion magazines and see if they appeal enough to buy a few and start a scrapbook. Or are there any good webpages for that kind of thing?
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #6
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet1
A bit of both. I tend to gothy colours as a general rule (my wardrobe is kind of... black, black, and more black, with the odd bit of red or dark blue) but I'm a little bored with black tshirts and black pants all the time.

As far as a goth look goes, that's more what I'm talking about with being too over the top for general wear, since I tend to like corsets and unusual boots. I know some people are comfortable going out 'gothed up' as it were, with make up and everything, but, well, I'm too lazy to get that dressed up all the time.

I'm also not sure if I should try to break out of my 'mostly black' comfort zone a bit, colour-wise. Sometimes I think I should, but every time I go shopping I just gravitate towards the black stuff anyway.

I understand about dressing up, your right, some do like corsets and boots every day. As for the black you do wear, I'm like you, I always gravitate toward black. What I started doing, instead of black I started buying purples- which is another fav color, and also grays and some blues. It gave my closet some color, black is still my color but I'm a little more colorful now.

I would just start going to clothing stores, department stores and see whats out there. Try things on, see what fits and what you like.
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #7
quiet1
Raw Beauty

Quote:
I understand about dressing up, your right, some do like corsets and boots every day. As for the black you do wear, I'm like you, I always gravitate toward black. What I started doing, instead of black I started buying purples- which is another fav color, and also grays and some blues. It gave my closet some color, black is still my color but I'm a little more colorful now.

I would just start going to clothing stores, department stores and see whats out there. Try things on, see what fits and what you like.

I need to find someone to go shopping with me who'll slap my hands if I keep trying on black things. (The problem is most of my friends are, if not goth, at least fairly into the goth aesthetic, so they're all for the black. I don't think they quite understand the 'boredom' issue.)

I'm planning on visiting some outlet store type places when I'm in the US next month, so hopefully I'll find some good things there. I suppose what I'm trying to do at the moment is a mental exercise as much as anything- try to get myself thinking outside my habits so when I do go shopping I don't restrict myself to the same old things.
Old July 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #8
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
I need to find someone to go shopping with me who'll slap my hands if I keep trying on black things. (The problem is most of my friends are, if not goth, at least fairly into the goth aesthetic, so they're all for the black. I don't think they quite understand the 'boredom' issue.)

I'm planning on visiting some outlet store type places when I'm in the US next month, so hopefully I'll find some good things there. I suppose what I'm trying to do at the moment is a mental exercise as much as anything- try to get myself thinking outside my habits so when I do go shopping I don't restrict myself to the same old things.

I do that too. Start thinking about other colors that appeal to you.
Do you ever look at fashion mags- you might look at a few for ideas on clothing designs- not runway but like a womans mags- check out the pics in them and see what the woman are wearing- you know 'mainstream'- I'm not mainstream either but it will give you an idea.
There are alot of pastels- not my thing
Bring a friend thats open to exploring other dark colors besides black- that will open the door.

Something else- start looking over websites to get ideas.
I have many goth websites too if your interested.

Last edited by summer-time : July 6th, 2006 at 03:00 PM.
summer-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #9
quiet1
Raw Beauty

Quote:
I do that too. Start thinking about other colors that appeal to you.
Do you ever look at fashion mags- you might look at a few for ideas on clothing designs- not runway but like a womans mags- check out the pics in them and see what the woman are wearing- you know 'mainstream'- I'm not mainstream either but it will give you an idea.
There are alot of pastels- not my thing
Bring a friend thats open to exploring other dark colors besides black- that will open the door.

Something else- start looking over websites to get ideas.
I have many goth websites too if your interested.

I bought a couple of fashion magazines today to have a look through. There were a couple of things that had promise. Website recommendations are always great, though.
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #10
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
I bought a couple of fashion magazines today to have a look through. There were a couple of things that had promise. Website recommendations are always great, though.

I don't know mainstream very well.

http://darklinks.com/

I'm not exactly helping with getting away from black but there are shops in here that are eclectic goth

This is a consignment goth store- although they do have new as well. I have bought tanks from here

http://www.velvetgarden.net/

New and second hand

Mechanical Bunny

http://mechanicalbunny.com/oscmax/

Just to name a few

* check your pm*