Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 20th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #1
wavebaby
Dazzling Beauty

Default Fashion vs Style

Do you consider yourself a "fashionista", or a 'style maven? '

I am defining fashion, as what is current, trendy, or considered to be "in-syle" for the moment.

I am defining style as personal style, your own sense of what you like and what you chose to wear.

I consider myself to be conscious of my own personal style, At 34, I know what i like, and what shapes & styles look good on me. I prefer a simple, classic style for my staples (on myself,) but funkied up with a few trendy pieces of the season. I like clothes with structure, and quality, but I love a fun scarf, jewellery, or sandal. for me, accessories are where I experiment or have some fun with trends. I love fashion, and to indulge, i might splurge on a piece that is cool, but not unwearable, (fashion changes, and the big purchase will be "so yesterdsy" in a few months...what a waste ) I wouldn't buy say, a trendy coat, but a scarf that i can ewar as a belt, on my head or tied to a handbag...sure! (I have a funky Alexander Mac Queen skull scarf that I know won't be a staple, but it's fun right now! ) so I guess you could say that i lean towards personal style that is classic, with an accent on chic, but fun pieces. My moods change, so do my clothes.

I am interested to know where everyone stands as far as what we all like to wear. Funky fashionista? bohemian beauty?, classic chic? Whatever is clean?
wavebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

I guess I see myself as somewhere between bohemian beauty and classic chic (but not in the Channel suit way). I have seen a lot of trends come and go, and I think most people actually only look good in a couple of basic clothing shapes, most of which are not in style at any given moment.

I do like being in style, but not when it means I don't look good. At 42, I have mostly abandoned fashion, unless it suits me, hard to do in a fashion industry controlled by 20 somethings and created for teens.

I don't mind being a bit out of step--different drummer and all that. I know I look good, and that's all that matters.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #3
wavebaby
Dazzling Beauty

[quote]At 42, I have mostly abandoned fashion, unless it suits me,[ /QUOTE]

I love this statement!
At 34, i totally agree, I know what I like. There are usually a few things each season that appeal to me that are part of the "trend", but i think the key to wearing them, is making them "your own", or wearing them in unexpected ways, that tie in with your own style.
wavebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

I'll be a fashionista, as long as I like the current fashion! Right now, I would rather die than be seen in some of the outfits that are 'in'.

And the way I dress tends to vary with the seasons. In the winter, I lean more towards the classic chic, while in the summer I'm more of a bohemian. It's the weather!

In winter, I always have to think about what I'm going to wear. How cold is it out today, is it snowing or raining, do I need my extra-thick mittens... So I automatically think more about the outfit as a whole.

In summer, I just throw on whatever I feel like for the day, maybe with a scarf or hat, and a pair of cute shoes. If it gets colder, all I need is a jacket anyway.
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5
jeannie
Untouched Beauty

I have my own personal style, I know what looks good on me and I know how to accessorize. I developed my own style theories about five years ago based on the fact that I hate to shop and don't see the need for lots and lots of clothes that are hardly ever worn.

My wardrobe theory is that you choose a neutral or dark base (black, brown, navy, teal, green, etc. or any other color you can make work with a variety of different colors) Using my base color theory I can get away with two or three pairs of washable spring/summer pants and three or four dry cleanable fall/winter pants. Add a couple sweaters or blazers in your base color, or a complimentary bright and you're set.

I usually wear black as my base color, and accessorize by wearing brights or whites as a top or blouse. I can throw a silk scarf around my neck and add a nice pair of earrings, then go with as many or little necklaces and bracelets as I want. Viola!! stylish and very chicly put together.

My jewelry is usually silver, but I will throw in turqouise from time to time. I hate to spend money on trendy things only to have the item go out of style it seems like as soon as I buy it.

jeannie
jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #6
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

I'm more personal style than trendy, although I do wear some trendy things but that is because it fits my body type better.

I only wear lowrise jeans with a 34 inseam. I am 5'1 but have a short torso and long legs, classic style jeans are to high for me.

I wear baby t's and tops with hoodies in the cooler months, and tanks/halters in the summer months.

My colors are black, purple, dark blues, gray's with a few lighter neutral colors.

I'm kind of finicky with clothing styles, so its difficult to find things I like sometimes.
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #7
HairColoredHair
Natural Beauty

I have no call to fashion, so I just wear what I like.

Dark colors and black/white make up the majority of my wardrobe, which is business casual with punk accents.

And the boots. Always boots. Hiking/cowboy/combat, it doesn't matter. Boots!
HairColoredHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM   #8
golden_gal
Natural Beauty

I think I'm more about my own style. Everytime I try out a new fashion, it usually looks really weird on me and I end up not liking it. Hence, I'd rather stick to my own style...
golden_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM   #9
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

I think my style is eclectic I have a staple diet of jeans and logo/solid coloured tees with the occasional semi-bohemian skirt, asian-inspired top or floaty dress thrown in.
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM   #10
naj
Dazzling Beauty

I would put myself into the "Classic personal style" slot. I pick and choose what i like from the current fashion trend and incorporate that into what suits me best. Fashion is very different in India from what it might be in western countries. Mine is a quite conservative family where we are not allowed to show too much skin. So if i like some style which is too skimpy, i either take up the material, the print or something form it which i like and make it my own in my classic styles. But ist hair i could never be fashionable or stylish with. Il ove to be stylish with hair. But im starting to learn some good hairdos and cute hairtoys to dazzle off my LHC groomed hair!
But im traditional to the core(the lovely work sarees and rich fabrics of India...anyone seen the movie Devdas will know).I love Indian dressing traditions and also absilutely LOVE the Western white wedding gown and the Victorian corsets and flaring skirts etc..There's so much beauty in those styles...i love to live in that era...
Sorry for going off topic.
I love Indian style basically and picka nd choose stuff from the current fashion and make it my own in my own way.
Here's a pic of Aishwarya Rai is what i can describe as the perfect portraying of Indian style and traditional clothing.Please have a look:
http://www.hindustanlink.com/bollywood/devdas-wall2.jpg
Hope you like it!
Naj
ETA: A few more very good pics:
http://www.aishwaryarai.com/devdas/devdas3.jpg
http://www.unreel.co.uk/reviews/d/Devdas/7.jpg
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=sienna] [url=http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=43][U][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][B]Earthy skincare[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/url]:calm: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=darkgreen]1b/M/iii Black hair with red highlights in sun.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=darkgreen]Coneless convert, Herb washer, henna addict.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=darkgreen]Skin type will soon be up..[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=darkolivegreen][COLOR=darkgreen]Dry skin brushing and aloe gel addict[/COLOR].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][COLOR=black](Avatar-the famous Afghani girl by National geographic)[/COLOR][/I]
naj is offline   Reply With Quote