Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #1
Aninha
Raw Beauty

Default sugar as a face scrub?

I have a ton of "vegan cane sugar" that I don't use because I don't really cook that often. I was wondering if I could use it as a facial scrub/exfoliator. Is sugar too harsh? Also, what could I mix it with to make it work as a scrub? I want to put some jojoba oil in there because my skin really likes it, but I don't know what else would work.

On a side note, does anyone else have any good recipes for a home-made facial exfoliator?
Aninha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #2
device
Dazzling Beauty

I don't know if the type of sugar makes a difference, but I've seen several people mention using brown sugar+oil as a scrub.
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3
feisty redhead
Alluring Beauty

I make sugar scrubs all the time, but I've never tried it with anything other than brown sugar or regular white granulated sugar. It can't hurt to try. What to mix it with? Depends on your skin and what you have on hand. Just some water would work. Or a little EVOO or jojoba, sweet almond, basically any oil that you know your skin likes. A smidge of lemon juice or a little honey can be mixed in too. Some witch hazel. AVC. It's really fun to experiment and like I said it depends on your skin and what you've got on hand at the time.
[IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/natredsig.jpg[/IMG][/LEFT]
feisty redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #4
kwaniesiam
Radiant Beauty

I made my first batch of sugar scrub and haven't used it on my face, but I'll try it tonight and report back. This was my recipe:

1 cup Brown sugar (I eyeballed everything, I never measure so these are appoximates)
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/8 cup EVOO, Coconut oil, Shea butter, Honey (I used equal amounts)
few drops of both almond and vanilla extract for scent (you could substitute any essential oils you like, I just had these on hand)

Combine in a bowl and mix together. I used my hands to mix, and after they were very soft and smelled good so hopefully I'll have the same results everywhere
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

I wouldn't use sugar on my face, it is too harsh for my delicate skin, but you can certainly use it for body scrub!

I don't mix quantities, but I've mixed sugar, a little salt (LITTLE - it can burn), oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and a little baking soda together to make a scrub with. It was really nice. Be careful you don't make it too liquidy though.

Have fun!
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #6
ilovemycop
Captivating Beauty

very good recipes.I will most definately try that body scrub teacherbear

[CENTER]:star:Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights :star:[/CENTER]

[/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=magenta]:frog:The LHC'er known as Patrycja :frog:[/COLOR][/CENTER]
ilovemycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

If you have a lot of the sugar on hand, I think I'd start out with a small batch of the sugar and a favorite oil or two. If you make up very small quantities and it turns out bad you won't feel bad about tossing it and wasting a lot.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #8
Aninha
Raw Beauty

I really appreciate all the good advice. I tried some baking soda mixed with EVOO, jojoba, a couple of drops of tea tree oil, and some water (and a bit of the sugar). Now my face feels so smooth! The residual pimples from a recent breakout have really gone down too. I can't wait to experiment with more ingredients!
Aninha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

Yay, Aninha! I'm glad it worked well for you! Ya'll are inspiring me to make up a batch 'o scrub for my body!
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #10
stargurl84
Untouched Beauty

i only use sugar scrub on my body....its wayyyy to harsh for my face. Some good looking recipes out there though!
stargurl84 is offline   Reply With Quote