Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Anje
Dazzling Beauty

Default Facial moisturizer suggestions?

I try to be pretty simple in my skin/makeup routine (though I've got a weak spot for eye makeup), but moisture seems to be my downfall. I have pale, fair skin and freckles that I'm a bit fond of, and a tendency to get dry peeling skin on my face, particularly between my eyebrows and on the end of my nose. Exfoliation doesn't seem to take care of it, and I think the main thing is that I need more moisture.

I've only tried a few things so far. Oils (olive, jojoba, coconut) don't seem to fix the problem. Oil of Olay complete for sensitive skin BURNS near my eyes. I've been using Malibu hemp body lotion, but it's not really what I'm looking for, just better than nothing.

I'd like to avoid petroleum products if possible, and I'm cheap. SPF would be nice, too. Any suggestions?
Anje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #2
atlantaz3
Sparkling Beauty

I have about twenty years on you in age so probably need a different moisturizer. It's not cheap, but a bottle lasted nine months! Prescriptives Anti Age Lotion SPF 25. It was $65 which imho is outrageous. I went for the color matching foundation and was given a sample of this and really liked it. It has a pleasant smell goes on easy and doesn't feel greasy - absorbs quickly. By the way the color match was a bust and I just ended up buying a regular foundation which hasn't been used up yet - March will be a year - guess I need to replace that one soon! It's not that I don't use the products I just don't spackle any of it on. A little of the moisturizer for me goes along way.

You might try going by a prescriptives counter and asking for a sample.
atlantaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Flying Betty
Untouched Beauty

Any drug store lotion I've tried on my face burns like anything, so I know how you feel. If you don't mind department store products, I've had good luck with their lotions. My current favorite is their yellow lotion in the gel form- the cream is too heavy for my skin but yours may need the moisture from it. It's also one of their cheaper lotions (though still a bit pricey). Maybe take an afternoon and go around makeup counters asking to try their moisturizers?
Flying Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #4
terriej
Raw Beauty

I've found poppy seed oil to be good for moisturizing and it seems to be abosorbed quickly.
terriej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #5
mira-chan
Alluring Beauty

I have similar problems as you Anje. Dry sensitive skin. I've had soem nasty reactions to cosmetics and moisturizers.

Several people on LHC suggested Devita moisturizer/ sunblock (zinc/titanium oxide). I tried it and no burning, itching or redness. The ingredients are listed on the site above.
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Anje
Dazzling Beauty

So it's just try the department store brands? Any suggestions? I think I have a JC Penny's and maybe a Macy's in town. (Kohl's doesn't have that stuff, do they?)

I've been considering making my own moisturizer of some blend of oil, water, glycerine, and something to emulsify it and make it absorb, like cetyl alcohol or stearic acid, though I don't know proportions. Maybe I should just mess with it?
Anje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #7
happylynngilmer
Serene Beauty

Sensitive, dry, acne prone skin here. Have tried Olay, Neutrogena, Alba, Nature's something or other, pure Glycerin, pure jojoba oil, all kinds of stuff. But I have been using Garden of Wisdom's cranberry HA serum for about 2 weeks now and my skin loves it!
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Capriquarius
Untouched Beauty

I have similar skin type, Anje, and I'd be willing to bet that the burning from the Olay stuff was the chemical SPF in it. Try to find a sunscreen that uses a mineral, physical sunblock like zinc oxide, maybe that will help? I have come to the conclusion that I need a separate moisturizer and sunblock, because I haven't found one product that does it all for me. I also use mineral makeup so that provides additional SPF, and has helped my sensitive skin a lot! My absolute favorite moisturizer right now is Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn & Cucumber with Ester-C® Moisturizing Cream . I also like their Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Moisturizing Cream for extra moisture. I know they aren't cheap, but it's really helped my skin. Without them I am a dry, peeling irritated mess.
If I'm going to be outside I apply a sunscreen over that.

For sunscreens I have had great experiences with this
and this.
Again, not cheap, but I figure I save money with everything else in my hair and beauty routine. I hope you find something that works for you!
Capriquarius is offline   Reply With Quote