Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #1
avery
Natural Beauty

Default Holy Grail Skin Care Products

Since I am ever on my HG skin care product quest, I was wondering if anyone here has found theirs. Please include cleansers, cremes, toners and treatments.

In advance, I will have you know, I am already jealous.
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I've found a good routine that works for me, by trial and error.
I read 'The Acne Cure' by Terry Dubrow, MD, and followed its' advice and routines for the 6 week program that helps get troublesome skin under control. Basically, I used a salicylic wash (leave it on for 5 minutes, then rinse), a glycolic toner, and benzoyl peroxide as needed. (At first I used BP as a mask, applied over my face once a day, with a chilled rice pack, (cold helps the BP do its thing) for about 15 minutes, then later, when I stopped having so much trouble, used BP only to spot treat.) Lately, I find I haven't needed any BP, which suits me, since I find it very drying.

Here's Dr. Dubrow's site, if you're interested. It's kind of commercial, but I guess you can get the gist. I use products by DDF, since their products seem to be effective, and go a long way.

http://www.myacnecure.com/pages/bio.html

After I'd gotten success with that technique, I read Leslie Baumann MD's 'The Skin Type Solution.' I took her little test, and find that my skincare is pretty much in line with what she recommends for my type, though I think she recommends a gentler salicylic wash. (close enough, right? I guess I'll try the other brand once I run out.)

I like the way she suggest products for every skintype from every price range.
One bad thing is that since she's written the book, some of the products she recommends have been discontinued.
Her site is full of product recommendations, and there's also a forum.

http://www.baumannstore.com/
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3
TwirlyTresses
Raw Beauty

Jojoba oil! I experiment with other things, but this is the one product I can't imagine being without ever again. I have combination skin on my face with an oil slick for a forehead and chin, and cheeks that can be dry and flaking (all at the same time). I use jojoba oil as a moisturizer and it's helped to balance it all out--no more oil slick, no more flaking. It also hasn't caused my acne to worsen. If anything, it's improved quite a bit.
TwirlyTresses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #4
texasgal
Natural Beauty

My only one thing as far as skin care goes that I love & will probably never change is Almay non oily eye make up remover pads.
texasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Tresses
Untouched Beauty

To Cleanse: Saving Face soap from The Soap Lady Oregon.

Toner: haven't used one in some time, but I used to use a mild ACV toner with distilled water, sometimes with eos.

Moisturizer: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil all over face; Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado, unrefined shea butter on lips.

Special Treatments: still working on that, but I had fun with a clay mask recipe I posted about here. I plan to do that again tonight, even.

I spot treat pimples with tea tree and/or lavender eos.
Tresses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #6
wonderlywroughte
Natural Beauty

I don't have one...yet! But when I did the ocm the first time, due to some unexplainable events, my face broke out worse than EVER. What saved it was Lush's Fresh Farmacy complexion bar. Yay! I'm also currently loved coconut oil. It's great everywhere, for everything apparantly! (except on my hair. My hair hates coconut oil!)
wonderlywroughte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #7
avery
Natural Beauty

wonderly: See, straight coconut oil makes me breakout but my hair loves it.
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Meezer
Natural Beauty

I have found a routine that works well for me.

I use a salicylic acid cleanser (any will do, but I adore the one that ProActiv makes-- it's not the BP cleanser that comes with the regular kit). I use either Differin Gel or RAM everynight and follow with a bit of BE Rare Minerals. In the morning, I use Benzaclin gel and let is absorb. I then follow up with Dermalogica SPF30 booster. Every now and then I sneak in Dermalogica Microfolient- makes my skin feel so soft.

The Differin/RAM and Benzaclin have made the biggest difference for me, but I have had acneic skin since I turned 19. I went through one round of Accutane when I was 21 and right around age 27... the pimples started haunting me again. With the routine above, my skin basically stays clear except for a once a month single bomb!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Skin: combination, prone to a hormone related zit now and then; avid sunscreen user; LUSH-a-holic![/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hair: 3aMii-iii[/FONT]
Meezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #9
SunCat
Radiant Beauty

This simple routine works the best for me. The few fine lines and wrinkles that I did have are now gone and I attribute that to this routine which I have been using for 15 months now. I also have no blackheads which I use to have on my nose, forhead and chin. I use orgainc unrefined producs.

Wash with Chagrin Valley Soap Bars - Currently using Carrot Milk and Honey with not added scent. I rotate with various soap bars.

OCM - After washing with the CV Bar of choice and while my face is still damp I apply a mixture of Jojoba Oil and Grapeseed Oil, work that into my damp skin then remove with a warm facial cloth and rinse with warm water. I don't use cold water as I don't like to shock my skin.

Moisturize - I use various oils and butters depending on what my skin needs I usually use Jojoa oil, Gapeseed oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Cocobutter. I also use aloe vera gel to moisturize my skin. I like to use pure shea butter around my eyes and mouth and on my forehead between my eyes where people tend to get that "11".

Exfoliate - I add some brown sugar to the lather on my face from the CV soap bar this works great and leaves my skin soft.

Clay Mask (I use a mask about 3 times a week) - I make my own facial mask using a mixture of French Green Clay and Kaolin Clay. Sometimes I will use just the French Green Clay as it draws oils and impurites out of my skin but it can be a bit harsh for sensative skin so I only do this when I feel I need to get some impurites out of my face. I also use the Kaolin Clay alone as it is good for all skin types and doens't pull oil out of the skin but does absorb any excess oil. I mix my masks with herbal tea using chamomile or rooibos either green or red depending on what I have brewed up at the time. I have also added a few drops of essential oils of lavender, rosemary, lemongrass and tea tree. I also like to add dried chamomile which works great as a gentle exfoliant. I mix the dried chamomile in with the dry clay then add the herbal tea as the moistening agent. I work this into my face and leave it on for about 15 minutes then rinse it off with warm water. Leaves my feeling very clean and soft.
SunCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #10
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Smiley

I don't know if this would work for others, but I use wipes. I find them in the baby wipes section, they work perfect for my skin.
They contain a little alcohol to clean but balanced with aloe and vit E so they are not drying at all.