Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #101
Nastasska
Enticing Beauty

Location: On the day of the dead when the year too dies must the youngest open the oldest hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell
aisling is right--the hardest thing is when a style (or styles) is popular and you can't find anything else. The last 10 years have been horrible for me. It's hard to find anything that looks good, and frankly I'm tired of the same look on me and everyone else. For 10 years in Southern California all I've seen is low rise flares (I'm sure they're lovely on you Peg, but believe me, they don't great on everyone around here who wears them!), black/grey/blue hoodies, and tennis shoes. Could someone please wear some color or some girl clothes? Nope.

Oh, and I love eighties styles--not all of them mind you--some were horrible. I have noticed that it's mostly the horrible ones coming back too--jellies--I ask you.

What happened to the wonderful tunics and long skirts that were so feminine and flattering? Ahh, back to the sewing machine!

Shell That's exactly how I feel.Trying to find something I actually like clothes wise has been nearly impossible
Nastasska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #102
Shadowlee
Untouched Beauty

I always find it funny when people talk about grunge as a fashion look. I was a teenager in the 90s, and grunge was all about the music. The clothes were just a sideline to the music. Amongst my friends, if you dressed in grunge clothes, but didn't listen to grunge music, you were pretty much branded a poser.

The two best things about grunge fashion: 1. it was comfortable. 2. it was cheap!
Shadowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #103
Anje
Dazzling Beauty

Jeans with waists bigger than the hips! (I know I'm going to garner much hatred this way, but that seems to include most of the low-rise pants these days.) Empire waisted anything needs to disappear from the non-maternity shelves, too. Makes the rest of us look pregnant.
Anje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #104
AJoifulNoise
Enticing Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anje
Empire waisted anything needs to disappear from the non-maternity shelves, too. Makes the rest of us look pregnant.

I'm with you there! I was very confused when these came into fashion...
[CENTER][B][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][I][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/aug08siggy.jpg[/IMG][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][I]Lady Hathor of the Blessed Harmony in the order of the Long Hair Knights[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
AJoifulNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #105
cobblersmaid
Natural Beauty

I agree about the empire waists. I don't like looking four months pregnant. Tunics look horrible on me too. I have a small waist, but a big chest, so they just hang straight off my boobs and make me look fat.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #106
kwaniesiam
Radiant Beauty

I could do well without this current scene kid trend ever coming back. I loves me some flares though. Stick pants, IMO, make heavier girls look even heavier.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM   #107
florenonite
Alluring Beauty

I haven't read much of this thread yet, but these are a couple trends I hate that seem to have come back from the past:
-tapered jeans. They don't look good on anyone except the very slim, unless they're tucked into boots, which means you can only wear them for a few months of the year.
-leggings under a skirt. I was reading Trainspotting, which was written in the 80s, and a girl was described as wearing that and I thought 'hey, that could be someone now!' and was thoroughly disgusted at the prospect.
-high-waisted trousers. I think they're uncomfortable and would never wear them, but I don't want them to come back because it means I'd have trouble finding trousers I like.

ETA: black trousers and shoes with white socks. It just looks *wrong*.
"Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]-Pierre Elliot Trudeau

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] [CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]"It's so easy to laugh[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it's so easy to hate[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it takes strength to be gentle and kind"
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[LEFT][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]-The Smiths "I Know it's Over"
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Last edited by florenonite : February 23rd, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
florenonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM   #108
florenonite
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiraleeee
I like bell bottoms and huge afros, and I don't remember what else that was mentioned here. Oh, leggings under a skirt. I do that. But not a mini skirt.

Would be happy never again to see: Aviator glasses. transparent visor hat. espadrilles. those little wooden handled purses with the interchangeable button on covers. turtlenecks with little whales all over them. duck boots. high waisted pants. argyle socks with pennyloafers. neon fishnet.

hmmm I like my aviators, but then, I also like my dad's vintage Wrangler jacket (apparently it's very important to note that it's a vintage Wrangler denim jacket; I just like it because it's comfortable xD)
"Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] [CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]"It's so easy to laugh[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it's so easy to hate[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]it takes strength to be gentle and kind"
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM   #109
florenonite
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy
Crocs. Ugly! In my opion. Some people love them for the comfort. I also hate Birkenstocks. I know they are extremely poplular and comfortable. To me they look like big clunky sandles.

I absolutely love my Birks, even though my friend tells me they're slippers (they're the clog ones; he's also Dutch so insists they aren't clogs because they aren't wooden, but I digress) but it's partly because they're 'ugly camp shoes'. I've gone to a summer camp since I was nine, and Birkenstocks have been popular there for years (with Roots sweatpants tucked into woolly socks ...), even though no one in the city wore them until recently. I'm actually annoyed they're popular, because it means they'll go out of fashion and then I'll be wearing shoes that have gone out of fashion rather than simply shoes that were never fashionable to begin with.

I like Crocs too for the same reason until other people started wearing them, so now I just wear them for canoe-tripping.

Last edited by florenonite : February 23rd, 2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM   #110
florenonite
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORA410
The snap bracelets!!! Remember they are like a stick and then you snap them against your wrist? I also remember the pony tails that you put waaaay up on you head with a scrunchy and the hair kinda falls of each side of your head? I hope that never comes back..lol..love my scrunchies just not like that

My friend used a snap bracelet as kitchen tongs for a while. Then it melted. He shouldn't be living in a self-catered hall.