Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

Default Are you product picky?

Are there others with problems finding suitable products for their face and body?

I wish I could just take up any cheap brand makeup off the shelf and use it without problem, but I have sensitive skin, especially sensitive eyes and I am hypersensitive to scents. This is why I need to screen my makeup and other beauty products really well before buying or else I might end up just losing money and not using the product more than once.

So, first of all my makeup needs to be scent free and as light as possible. Otherwise it will get some sort of an allergic reaction I guess, with my face feeling warm (hot) and tingly and like a mask. Also if there's any scent I will get a headache and my eyes will start hurting since I keep smelling the stuff on my face all the time.
Nowadays I only buy unscented beauty products or make my own from natural ingredients when I can. The brands I use are now Lily Lolo (mineral cosmetics) and Clinique. They don't make my face angry with me.

My other problem is my pale skin. It's quite hard to find foundation or powder that matches my skin tone. In most brands the palest color will be orange on me and it will look like I have fake tan on. Luckily both my favourite brands have also very pale shades available, so atleast atm i'm stocked.

I know me being picky means having to spend more money on the products I use, but it also means I will only buy the things I need and not a new eye shadow on each shopping trip...

Are you picky like me? What are the reasons that make you picky and how do you cope with them? What are your favourite brands that tackle those issues?
Ocelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
mira-chan
Alluring Beauty

Super picky as I'm sensitive to silicones (dimethicone especially) and sulfates. Plus I'm not fond of how things with mineral oil feel. This pretty much eliminates 95% of things on the market.

I generally don't wear make up at all. Eliminates the issue nicely. When i have to or feel like it I use Vapour or Mitsuyoshi (stage performance only).
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Holo
Untouched Beauty

I'm extremely picky with products for my face, and only slightly less so for my body. For my face, I do not use anything with silicones, sulfates, artificial fragrances(naturally sourced scents are okay for me), mineral oil, etc..

For my body, the same rules apply, minus the artificial fragrances. Oh, and now that I've found a good aluminum free deodorant, I won't use that either!

I also avoid parabens and animal testing the best I can.

This even goes as far as things that get in contact with my skin; I always use the "free & clear" variety of laundry detergent for instance.

As for makeup, I use minerals, and my favorite right now is Meow Cosmetics.

As for other things,
-Face moisturizer is Angel Face Botanicals Chamomile Exquisite Creme
-Face wash is Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser
-Face sunblock is Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer spf 30+
-Body sunblock is Loving Naturals
-Soap is Trader Joe's Oatmeal and Honey Soap
-Body moisturizer is Toadstool Soaps Body Butter or sweet almond oil or apricot kernel oil
-Deodorant is Weleda Wild Rose Deodorant

Essentially, I've found all of these to be my holy grail products as they do what they're supposed to, don't irritate my skin, don't give me acne, and don't aggravate my keratosis pilaris. The keratosis pilaris has actually almost entirely subsided since I've made these changes to my skincare routine.
Holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
LadyHeather
Sparkling Beauty

I am picky about some things. I use Meow Cosmetics for my foundation - it's the palest I've found. I use a mix of the palest two and add in a bit of Snow Lynx in winter.

Using Holo's idea:

-Face moisturizer is Skin 79 Hot Orange BB Cream spf 50 over a hyaluronic acid serum
-Night cream is my doctor's specialty herbal cream, ACU over some camellia or argan oil
-Face wash is Avene cold cream gel-cleanser
-Face sunblock is my BB cream
-Body sunblock is Calypso spf50
-Soap/shower wash is Chagrin Valley soaps
-Body moisturizer is Avene Akerat for my KP arms and thighs, and anything that smells nice for the rest of me
-Deodorant is Dove silk dry
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

I have also considered that there might be some ingredients in beauty products that my skin may just not like, but I'm not sure which ones so I haven't been able to weed those out.

I'll use the same idea as you have done:
- Face moisturiser is half Clinique Dramatically different moisturising lotion (unscented) half aloe vera gel (night cream is same, just more of it)
- Face wash is my own mix of manuka honey + jojoba oil, E vitamin oil + argan oil + ACV (+ sometimes baking soda or salt), this is also what I use to remove any makeup (only natural scents which I can tolerate)
- Sun block is Ladival SPF 15 and 30 for hypersensitive skin (unscented)
- Body wash is none (and since I stopped using unscented body wash about half a year ago my backne has completely cleared! I suspect sulphates or such)
- Rarely use body moisturiser but a bit of jojoba oil or random unscented moisturisers do the trick when I need to use them
- My deodorant (or rather antiperspirant) is Hicoroll (unscented), but I rarely need on anyway, maybe once a week or less
- (Rarely used) shampoo is Urtekram unscented sulphate free shampoo, conditioner I choose between a few cheap unscented cone-free conditioners since there isn't much to choose from when it needs to be unscented

- Foundation is Clinique Moisture surge tinted moisturiser (lightest shade) or Lily Lolo mineral powder foundation shade Porcelain
- Other makeup is mainly Lily lolo but I also have one clinique blush and if I want to use lipstick the only one that doesn't smell bad to me (aka I can wear it) is Clinique.

- Laundry detergent, dish washing liquid and general cleaners (for mopping the floor etc.) are all unscented and preferably biodegradable
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I do have to be careful what I use, but over the years I seem to have figured it out: I can't use most of the regularly available stuff, it doesn't seem to rinse cleanly enough.

I've been using GM haircare mostly, but sometimes wander into stuff by Biolage just to use up my stash.

Dermalogica, Astara, Paula's Choice and a few Origins (Mushroom mask?) kind of round out my collection, but years back I did use a bunch of stuff by Liz Earle that I liked a lot. I think the products became harder to get and the exchange rate went weird or something, plus I was coping with skin issues, so I wandered away to other things.

Mitchum Unscented deodorant/antiperspirant, Dial antibacterial soap, Shower to Shower body powder, and I'm good to go, without too much sweatiness.

In the hot climate where I live, I tend to wear lighter fragrances, like Gendarme, since they just smell kind of clean and soapy, and don't trigger migraines.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Yup i am too also by nessecity. Sensitive skin, allergies, and eczema caused by auto immune issues. Basically my body gets a kick out of beating me up for no reson. I am lucky that i can use some conventional products if id dont use it everday and i make sure to was well.

Im not one for clutter and like everything to have a home so this just helps me stick to that rule. My staple products are simple and/or homemade dr.bronners is my body wash, face wash, cleaner, and sometimes tooth paste, i moisturize with oils, butters, or griffin remedy msm lotion. Hair gets wo and oil or a little condish left in thats about it. I have an acne scrub i use sometimes but mostly i mix my own. Face gets revive glycolic 5% at night pretty simple. I miss the pampering sometimes though, thinking of getting some red clay so i can do a quick mask once and a while.

Makeup is sadly neglected at the moment just to busy and sleep deprived to bother . Going to try to make time for it tomorow
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
JamieLeigh
Radiant Beauty

I'm pickier with eye makeup than the rest of it, because I have external allergies that make my eyes water. Whatever I use has to NOT sting or itch if it happens to run into my eyes at some point.

I would like to be able to support companies that don't test on animals at all, but a lot of that stuff is out of my budget.
JamieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #9
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

I am allergic to most mascaras. I haven't worn any in years. I wish I could find a good one. I used to swear by Avon Pure Care and then they discontinued it, after 15 years of selling it! How dare they! GRRRRRR
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #10
joflakes
Dazzling Beauty

I'm extremely picky. I won't buy from any company that tests on animals which sadly rules out most companies. I also buy vegan products, too.

I stick with Barry M a lot of the time. I don't particularly like their face make-up, though.

I have had Benefit mascara bought for me in the past which I still have some of. I know they don't test on animals but I don't know if they're vegan...will have to email the company and see!

It is hard but luckily I have a good collection of stuff already so I don't need to buy much.

Deodorant is vegan and BUAV approved and a snip at £1.49 from Superdrug's own range.

Hair stuff is Faith in Nature which is also vegan and BUAV approved but a lot more expensive at about £5 a bottle. However, the last bottle I bought was at the beginning of August and I still have loads of shampoo (3/4 bottle) and about 1/5 bottle of the conditioner left (I dilute!). Superdrug also have their own range of vegan/BUAV approved S&C but it has SLS and 'cones in it which I'm avoiding at the moment.

Other than that, I buy a lot of things from Lush - facial cleansers, toothy tabs, body washes, 'talcum' powder, hair masks. I've also tried out their 'Blousey' shampoo which I love. Shame it's a bit pricey!
joflakes is offline   Reply With Quote