Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:27 AM   #1
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

Default How to get eye makeup to last longer?

For those who wear eyeshadow and/or eyeliner, how many hours can your makeup last throughout the day? And any tips on getting it to last longer? My skin is on the oily side and even with oil-free moisturizer and powder I find my eye makeup beginning to migrate after several hours
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 06:55 AM   #2
golden_gal
Natural Beauty

Hi LittleFlower!
I have this problem too, but I don't use eyeshadow very often.
I've discovered that 'hard' eyeliner pencils are better if you want the lines to stay. Most pencils are kind of soft, and either disappear or smudge after a while.

I've also heard that using concealer, foundation, or powder on the lid before applying shadow helps it stay. Concealer seems to work best.

Hope that helps!!
golden_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Stephanie
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

I have great luck using my MMU powder as a base (not applied speparately, just as a once over on my face) as it absorbs oil well and refuses to budge. Eyeshadow on top of that stays really well and I'm sure that if you just used a base powder (or base cream, specifically made for the task) you'd have much better luck.

As far as eyeliners go, there a numerous no-smudge pencils on the market. I used to use one by Revlon Color Stay that I absolutely loved. I use mostly liquid liner now (waterproof and that stuff will stay on until the next day if I don't wash my face! LOL) or eyeshadow applied wet which stays better than pencil, but not as well as my liquid liner.

The main reason I wear waterproof eyemakeup (concealor, eyeliner, and mascara) is because it has far superior staying power than normal "washable" eyemakeup. You might want to give it a shot.

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM   #4
SpiralingWaves
Sparkling Beauty

In the summer my eye lids become very oily. I use a primer over my lids (DHC Velvet Coat), then use MMU foundation powder, followed with eye shadow over that. I don't use eye liner anymore. I line my eyes with eye shadow (wet or dry). This keeps my eyes made up and lined nicely through a hot summer day. HTH!
SpiralingWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Rain
Trampy Toes of the Month

Try using a primer before makeup. It makes the colors pop more in the first place and everything lasts longer.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #6
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Smiley

When I wear shadow I wet the brush and then apply. The shadow goes on opaque and intense. I found the following quote on Manic Panic website, although it may be extreme for some, I found the advice to be useful.

Ms. Jessica Gentile, a make up artist said:
"When you do your makeup, overdo it when you're at the mirror. You lose about 20% of it in a half hour. "

Old June 12th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #7
SunCat
Radiant Beauty

I also use mineral makeup as a base and I also apply a finishing veil which has kaolyn clay in it absorb excess oil as a eyeshadow base . All my mineral makeup stays on all day doing this. I use mineral makeup eyeliner also. I don't apply any moisturizer to my eyelids.

Last edited by SunCat : June 12th, 2006 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
SunCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #8
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

I use MAC paints. My fave is called "bare canvas" and it is a shimmery skintone that matches my colouring really well. I put a thin layer of the paint on, then apply my shadow. It keeps it from creasing and wearing off - in fact, if I don't wash my face at night, I wake up with my eye makeup still on!
kimberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #9
ravenlox
Untouched Beauty

I second...or third using a primer or concealer on your eyes before applying shadow. works for me, and I rarely have to reapply during the day.
ravenlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #10
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer-time
Ms. Jessica Gentile, a make up artist said:
"When you do your makeup, overdo it when you're at the mirror. You lose about 20% of it in a half hour. "

So true! Especially where I live where it's crazily hot and humid.

It never occured to me about the primer. I'll have to keep that in mind. Right now I'm trying to make do with what I have so I use a light swipe of cake foundation.

Thanks for all the suggestions
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote