Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM   #1
levelek
Dazzling Beauty

Default What do you clean in your makeup kit?

I'm assuming most people clean their brushes with some frequency. Do you do anything with your other stuff though? Eyeliner? Lipstick?

I'm bad enough with my powder brush. It never occurred to me that you can or should clean eyeliner, for instance. Lately though I keep getting my lash line irritated and I've started to suspect my liner. It just puffs up and reddens and gets tender exactly where I apply the liner, and subsides after a good couple of days. I wear contact lenses and I'm scrupulous about washing my hands so it can't be that, and it's not near my tear ducts either.
levelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
LadyHeather
Sparkling Beauty

I wash all my brushes, powder puffs/applicators, and I use disposable eyeshadow applicators. I throw them out once a month and buy more.

I've never heard of cleaning eyeliner. Could the irritation be an ingredient in the liner itself?

If it's an eyeliner pencil, when I worked as a beauty consultant we sharpened each liner pencil before using it on any customers. I was still kind of squicked about using the same pencil on various people though.

If it's cake liner, it could be a brush issue. But if it's cake or liquid it could just be something in the liner that irritates your skin.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Liluri
Luxe Beauty

I try and sharpen regularly (pencil eyeliner) and I wash my brushes and try not to keep mascara for longer than a year, which is apparently too long.

Levelek, I have to say your avatar is just too cute!
[I][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Indigo][COLOR=Purple]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/I][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2]
[COLOR=Blue]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3] "If you are taking me somewhere where I don't need a boa, then I don't wanna go. - Gabrielle Solis"[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT][I][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Indigo]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Lady Alkonost of the Heavenly Plumage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Liluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM   #4
levelek
Dazzling Beauty

Thanks Liluri
Wow LadyHeather, you are good! It didn't occur to me it might be an ingredient in the liner. I've used the same eyeliner for months and this didn't use to happen. I've tried to look up the English term for my type of liner but I couldn't fit the description and didn't have the patience to watch a YouTube video on different types of liner. It's not liquid, but not a kohl pencil either - one of those things that resemble a pencil sized lipstick. You twist and it's pushed out at the top.
Wait, I've just realised you are Lovi! Hi! :waving:
levelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM   #5
LadyHeather
Sparkling Beauty

LOL Hi *waves* LHC is giving me the server busy thing. *smacks LHC*

I made the mistake of choosing a different username... sigh.

OK, so your liner is like Avon Glimmerstick. It's a twist up so it can't be sharpened. Hmmm. Using a product for months and then developing a sensitivity to it isn't unheard of; I used DiorLight foundation (old formula) for ages and after maybe 2 years it turned my skin into a battle zone.

Do you know what brand your liner is?
Perhaps you could look around for a similar shade in another brand?

For example I have a creme eyeshadow that is a great vibrant colour but the formula is too oily for my eyes. I look like Alice Cooper in Technicolor if I wear it, as it ends up sneaking down my face. So I shopped around for a powder version and it was much better.

Lovi
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM   #6
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

I use MMU and I don't have to worry about my eyeliner and so forth, since I mix my liner fresh, from powder every time. And I don't mix in my jar lids... Evah. I wash my brushes regularly but it never occurred to me to clean my lipsticks. They don't seem to turn or anything, and I am the only one using them, obviously, so I didn't think about it.

How does one clean a lipstick?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM   #7
medvssa
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHeather
It's a twist up so it can't be sharpened.
You can always chop a bit off.
You can also sanitize lipsticks by dipping into rubbing alcohol (I've heard - I would do it right after use or bacteria could travel into it) so I guess it could be done with this kind of pencil, too.
medvssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

You guys are better than me I wash my brushes when they get too gunked up to work properly.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn
You guys are better than me I wash my brushes when they get too gunked up to work properly.

Dude...

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Raederle
Luxe Beauty

I use a dental tool to apply mascara, wash it after each use, and replace monthly. Supposedly I wash my makeup brushes fortnightly. Like Shermie Girl, I don't buff my MMU in the lid. I have a cute little plate from a tea set I use instead. Dullard that I am, I never thought to sharpen my liner pencil after each use to insure its purity. And me, a contact lens wearer :issue dope slap here: